Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Follow Up with Sleep Doc and a question for you all
Question 
Follow Up with Sleep Doc and a question for you all
I had my first follow up with my sleep doctor since starting CPAP a little over a month ago. It started off with the receptionist telling me that they didn't have a card reader so could they just mail me back my card tomorrow? I must have looked really shocked because after I stammered something about needing the card for my insurance compliance she tried to explain that everything would be okay, the machine stores the data and would just write it onto the card when I got it back. By then I was able to respond that I have been checking my data every day & need the card. Now she is the shocked one. "I haven't heard of anyone else doing that," she reports.

The doc must have been overhearing this conversation since she I can hear her saying that it's okay, she found the report the DME sent from my visit with them last Friday.

We then have our short (less then 10 minutes) appointment. My numbers are great.... everything looks good... good usage... etc. She does ask me how I'm feeling (which is significantly better than before CPAP) and she is happy with that answer. Then she asks me if I have any questions, and I ask her about the snoring that SleepyHead shows I'm still doing. Not understanding my answer she asks if someone is telling me I'm snoring. "No, that data is telling me that," I reply. Then she wants to know what app I'm using to get that data since they are mostly always wrong. I tell her that the data comes from the CPAP. Then she proceeds to tell me that my machine can't tell me that. By this time I have my computer open to SleepyHead to show her the snore data and she finally understands that I'm getting the data off the CPAP card. Then I'm told that I shouldn't be doing that. She does show me data from my titration study showing and how a pressure of 6 stopped the apneas and snoring. I asked a questions about normal respiration rate at night and she showed my that graph from the titration study showing nice regular breathing, but never telling me the rate or what is considered normal.

She allows that the pressure of 7 can be continued if I like (her sleep tech is the one who changed it) and I said I felt like I breathed better with that pressure. (Actually 6 was fine, but I think the snoring is less). Her take on the snoring that the machine is reporting is that it must be other noises in the room or the machine itself since there was no snoring at a pressure of 6 during the titration. Then her parting comment to me was that I should stop looking at the data, Nonosign it's not something I should be doing, the CPAP is working fine and I don't need to worry about the data.

So my question is... Has anyone else been told that the ResMed S9 machines are picking up environmental noises and recording them as snores? I know that I have light snores as I'm dozing off or fighting falling back to sleep in the morning once I'm up.

Oh, one more question. What is the normal respiration rate during sleep?

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Follow Up with Sleep Doc and a question for you all
(06-20-2014, 09:37 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: So my question is... Has anyone else been told that the ResMed S9 machines are picking up environmental noises and recording them as snores? I know that I have light snores as I'm dozing off or fighting falling back to sleep in the morning once I'm up.

Oh, one more question. What is the normal respiration rate during sleep?

Thanks

Never heard that one.Dielaughing

Everyone's normal is different; I run about 15 BPM during sleep.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Good job standing your ground... How dare you look at your own health results? "Hey doc, I'm bleeding all over the floor!!!!" "Don't look at your blood. It'll just upset you. If it's a problem I'll tell you so next time you come in.........."

Apparently your doc thinks the machine picks up snoring noises over its built in microphone. Trouble with that of course, is there is no built in microphone. Snoring determination has to do with air movement. So leaks can cause the machine to think you're snoring, or if you're actually snoring that can cause your machine to think you're snoring. But not the neighbor's cat.

(06-20-2014, 10:31 PM)justMongo Wrote: Everyone's normal is different;

My normal is not different. It's normal......... Normally.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SleepyDreamCatcher, that gave me my laugh for the day. The machine is picking up environmental noises and recording them as snores, what a load of rubbish.
Good on you for taking none of their nonsense. As if they can tell you not to look at your data.
I hope you continue to feel well and get to the bottom of your snores.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2014, 09:37 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: So my question is... Has anyone else been told that the ResMed S9 machines are picking up environmental noises and recording them as snores? I know that I have light snores as I'm dozing off or fighting falling back to sleep in the morning once I'm up.

yes, pugsy says that her s9 picks up her pugdog (who has a terrible snoring problem) when the dog gets to sleep up by her head... sometimes her cats chase the dog off... she says can correlate snoring being reported by the machine with where the dog is.

if you've got a smartphone, there's a bunch of sleep apps that will record noises during the night, and time stamp them, so you could just record yourself... the one I mess with is called sleepbot, on android, may also do them ithings too... not sure about that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2014, 09:37 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: Her take on the snoring that the machine is reporting is that it must be other noises in the room or the machine itself since there was no snoring at a pressure of 6 during the titration. Then her parting comment to me was that I should stop looking at the data, Nonosign it's not something I should be doing, the CPAP is working fine and I don't need to worry about the data.

Get another doc. Seriously. Mine welcomes the patient looking at their own data as long as he or she has made an effort to understand what it means and not get all freaked out over things.
The CPAP machine "interprets" snoring based on the air flow it's measuring. That's fairly accurate. I have one or two episodes a night. Doesn't mean a thing.
As long as the chart is not covered with snoring spikes, go to sleep and have nice dreams.
And get another doc.
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2014, 09:37 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: I had my first follow up with my sleep doctor since starting CPAP a little over a month ago. It started off with the receptionist telling me that they didn't have a card reader so could they just mail me back my card tomorrow?

I have to wonder what they were planning on doing with the data card if they didn't have a card reader. Sounds clueless to me.

You'll have to decide whether your doctor is a partner in your health care, or a barrier. As others have said, I think it's time to look for a new doctor.

BTW, there is nothing special about the data card if they insist on keeping it. It is just a plain-vanilla SD card that you can get from any place that sells computers or cameras. The machine doesn't generate much data, so a small SD card is OK. (I mean small data capacity, not the micro SD card you use in your phone which obviously won't fit.) The machine will automatically store its data on a new data, and Sleepyhead or ResScan store downloaded data on the computer's hard drive, so you don't have to worry about data loss.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2014, 01:39 AM)big_dave Wrote: I have to wonder what they were planning on doing with the data card if they didn't have a card reader. Sounds clueless to me.

You'll have to decide whether your doctor is a partner in your health care, or a barrier. As others have said, I think it's time to look for a new doctor.

They wanted to give the card to their sleep tech. He was at a Health Fair that afternoon. I think they just didn't know how to import the data. Rolleyes I would have had the card locked, but that shouldn't have stopped them from downloading anything, just changing settings.

I'm supposed to go b back again in three months and because of my insurance coverage, I'll keep that appointment. After that I'm supposed to go in yearly. I wii own my AutoSet my then and if my PCP will write my prescriptions for supplies I will probably "forget" about the yearly visits. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not a big fan in advising folks to change doctors much.. Sometimes we really need to just dance with who brung us.

Between my wife and I, we have quite a number of various docs. I have a great deal of confidence in my sleep doc. She's great. I have seen her one time and I doubt I'll ever see her again. Now I work with the techies to keep my supplies coming, although I don't really need to do that. My GP's and such? They know the basics about sleep apnea, but certainly not anything about the details. One of them is really good at respiratory problems such as emphysema, which I have. Should I fire this doc because he's a dummy when it comes to sleep apnea?

The thing is, a lot goes into a relationship with a persons doctor. It's easy to sit back and decide someone needs a better doctor, and maybe that is even true. But it would be just as easy to say someone needs a better job, or a better spouse, or a better cat.... Sometimes we should just do the best we can to encourage each other to dance with who brung us.

The good news is, when it's all said and done, with the help of this site, "we don't need no stinkin' doctor.........."

Post Reply Post Reply
So if your sleep doc doesn't know that your cpap
Machine doesn't have a microphone , I would
Say that your sleep doc doesn't know much and I would switch
Think in the morning. Act in the noon. Eat in the evening. Sleep in the night.
William Blake

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 586 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Question on Sleep Study and Insurance mawaw1992 11 907 10-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,195 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.