Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Follow Up with Sleep Doc and a question for you all
RE: Follow Up with Sleep Doc and a question for you all
(06-21-2014, 10:16 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(06-21-2014, 08:13 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: So the AutoSet doesn't have a microphone... it picks up the snores through airflow? If so, then how does Pugsy's machine pick up her dog's snores?

Hi SleepyDreamCatcher,

If you vibrate the hose, it would cause a similar vibration in the airflow as snoring would cause.

My guess is that the snoring dog must have caused the hose to vibrate or repetitively move a slight amount, and the vibratory movement of the hose imposed this vibration on the airflow inside the hose.

The implication is that, although the machine may detect vibratory snore, it might not be OUR vibratory snore it is picking up.

So since I'm alone in my house without anything that would could be causing the hose to vibrate other than my snoring that's all it should be picking up? Would changing sleep positions be picked up as a snore?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2014, 11:35 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: Would changing sleep positions be picked up as a snore?

No way, I think. Would have to match the typical frequency range for snoring, and plus it probably has to last longer than it takes to change sleep positions.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2014, 11:41 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(06-21-2014, 11:35 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: Would changing sleep positions be picked up as a snore?

No way. Has to match the typical frequency range for snoring.

That's good to know. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
A microphone is a pressure sensor. Sound is pressure changes. Data capable CPAP machines have pressure sensors that sense the pressure in the hose. In some sense, the pressure sensor in the CPAP machine is a microphone listening to the hose. It's a really poor microphone for general audio use. A dog laying on the hose or dragging the hose across something may generate pressure changes that the machine will see as snoring. It's a question of amplitude and frequency of the sound/pressure waves.

I'm not sure I believe the dog theory, but it's possible depending on the sensor, the electronics, and the software involved.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2014, 11:30 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: I'm trying to understand how SleepyHead gathers its data. And looking for a way to corroborate it.

SleepyHead analyzes the data that's collected by the CPAP machine. All of the data is collected by two sensors: a pressure sensor and a flow rate meter.

So, for example, if the pressure sensor reading varies at whatever frequency, the machine will interpret that as a snore. Somewhere in your airway some part of your anatomy is vibrating. Whether or not that's what you or I would call a snore is another thing. If one CPAP manufacturer thinks it can gain an edge over its competition by claiming to detect snoring, then the other manufacturers will follow.

SleepyHead is beta software, and it's advisable that you also use the official software for your machine to verify what SleepyHead is telling you.

Since you have a ResMed machine, the official software is ResScan. It's free and available here at Apnea Board.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2014, 11:01 AM)retired_guy Wrote: The good news is, when it's all said and done, with the help of this site, "we don't need no stinkin' doctor.........."

Advice given on Apnea Board is not a substitute for a doctor's advice. Sleep apnea is a serious medical condition and anyone who has it, or is being treated for it, should be under the care of a qualified medical doctor.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
where's the delete button... *looks around*
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2014, 11:30 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: The sleep doc says SleepyHead is wrong and that the AutoSet is picking up extraneous environmental sounds and calling them snores since my pressure is already set higher than during my titration study when all snores were eliminated. I'm trying to understand how SleepyHead gathers its data. And looking for a way to corroborate it.

apparently, your sleep doc is spying on you while you sleep, check the room for cameras and microphones.

otherwise, they're just guessing.

also, it's not sleepyhead that says you're snoring, it's your autoset, sleepyhead is just presenting the data to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2014, 01:09 AM)diamaunt Wrote:
(06-21-2014, 11:30 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: The sleep doc says SleepyHead is wrong and that the AutoSet is picking up extraneous environmental sounds and calling them snores since my pressure is already set higher than during my titration study when all snores were eliminated.

apparently, your sleep doc is spying on you while you sleep, check the room for cameras and microphones.

otherwise, they're just guessing.

That the doctor places more reliance on a short portion of the titration study (the short time spent at the final titrated pressure on a single night) is alarming and shows she is paying inadequate attention to the data the machine is reporting in the here and now. For example, she is obviously not familiar with the kinds of data the machine records, and must be relying on second-hand reports from the respiratory therapist. I do not think you are getting your money (and time) worth from this doctor.

There are lots of good sleep doctors who look closely at the data the machine is reporting. Especially if you ask them to. ;-)

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2014, 03:56 AM)vsheline Wrote: That the doctor places more reliance on a short portion of the titration study (the short time spent at the final titrated pressure on a single night) is alarming and shows she is paying inadequate attention to the data the machine is reporting in the here and now. For example, she is obviously not familiar with the kinds of data the machine records, and must be relying on second-hand reports from the respiratory therapist. I do not think you are getting your money (and time) worth from this doctor.

There are lots of good sleep doctors who look closely at the data the machine is reporting. Especially if you ask them to. ;-)

I agree. The doctor who ordered my sleep study relies entirely on the DME to generate the data. He wouldn't even discuss sleep meds with me, and told me I had to see my PCP for that. And he's a good doctor. He's a ENT who's done three surgeries on me over the past twenty years or so.

After two years of CPAPing under that arrangement I made an appointment with a pulmonologist certified in sleep medicine who routinely deals with CPAPpers. She looked at and discussed my data with me, prescribed some sleep meds, and noticed and appeared to appreciate the fact that I was looking at my data and taking an active roll in my treatment.

A doc who doesn't want you looking at your data is just plain too lazy to learn how to read CPAP machine data and I guess would prefer you have a brick.

Could you imagine having a doc who doesn't want you to see your blood test results or take your own blood pressure?

"Never mind what your actual results are, just trust me when I tell you to take this here cholesterol medicine and that there blood pressure medicine. And trust me that the medicine will work. There's no need for a follow up to check your blood pressure or your cholesterol levels. The pharmaceutical rep has assured me that the literature confirms that this here medicine will take care of it. I don't have time to read all the literature that's coming out these days on all these new medicines. They made me do enough of that when I was in med school and now I have a practice to run. A lot of patients are depending on me."
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 585 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Question on Sleep Study and Insurance mawaw1992 11 905 10-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,190 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.