Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Follow up
Follow up
I went and saw my sleep doc today. It's been 45 days since having my CPAP machine. I told him that I have adjusted to it nicely and didn't have any issues. 

He looked at my results and said I was right on track, and the numbers looked good. He did say that my BP was high. He suggested less salt, carbs, and less calories. Geez.....I might as well just quit eating.  Dont-know

I'm hoping that with continued use of my machine, my BP will go down on it's own. Never had any issues with BP in the past. Then again, in the past, I wasn't as old as I am now.  Bigwink

Anyways, he says my treatment is successful and to keep on it. I did get copies of my two sleep study tests. I'll look them over and try to make some sense of them. If I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Follow up
Congratulations on a great start!

It's possible that use of CPAP will reduce your blood pressure and all the related conditions, though I think it's more likely these will stabilise and not get any worse. In my case I was able to come off one of the meds (still taking Twynsta) with my BP staying at a well-controlled level for several years now.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW on the BP and salt intake: I'm in the same boat. I reduced salt but not going off use entirely. I have substituted other herbs and spices to a large degree though. It seems to help salt reduction to be tolerant.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So.....after 45 nights of using my CPAP machine, I got my first 0.5 reading in regards to "events per hour" (AHI ?). The highest I've had since using the machine was 4.4 (2nd or 3rd night) and the lowest was 1.0 which I've had quite a few of.

Will I ever actually see a 0?  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
If your concerned about sodium intake I hope you're aware that, unless you really get carried away, the salt shaker isn't the major culprit. It's the sodium already added to most of the foods we buy in the form of preservatives and other sodium containing compounds in addition to salt. most canned soups, for example, contain 800-1000mg of sodium per serving. Most  meats are injected with sodium containing broths. Most canned and even frozen vegetables and breakfast cereals contain surprising amounts of sodium. It's possible to buy low sodium variants of many foods but it's critical that you read labels. If you eat out you probably get much more than the CDC recommended max daily sodium (2,500mg) in a single entree. For anyone who is interested there is a website and low sodium cookbooks by Dick Logue. Just google his name or look him up on amazon.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2018, 04:18 PM)Big Guy Wrote: Will I ever actually see a 0? 

Don't worry about "0", and especially do not chase zero.  You are in a range where chance may or may not very occasionally have a 0 AHI.

Much more important is to concentrate on how you feel and make small needed adjustments based on that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Point made and taken.  Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Melman you are so right about eating out. It is very common for restaurants to serve 4000 to 6000 mg of sodium on ONE plate. Most national chains have their nutritionals posted online but it is a challenge to read them because they break each individual item down and you have to add them up. Sometimes they go way over what they say. I have cut many restaurants out of my dining choices. I once went to a BBQ chain and when I went online and added each item I ate at dinner, it was just over 10,000 mg of sodium. That is 4 days of sodium with one plate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2018, 06:28 AM)michael9346 Wrote: Melman you are so right about eating out. It is very common for restaurants to serve 4000 to 6000 mg of sodium on ONE plate. Most national chains have their nutritionals posted online but it is a challenge to read them because they break each individual item down and you have to add them up. Sometimes they go way over what they say. I have cut many restaurants out of my dining choices. I once went to a BBQ chain and when I went online and added each item I ate at dinner, it was just over 10,000 mg of sodium. That is 4 days of sodium with one plate.

Yep, nothing like having a little bit of food with a big plate of salt.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2018, 06:28 AM)michael9346 Wrote: Melman you are so right about eating out. It is very common for restaurants to serve 4000 to 6000 mg of sodium on ONE plate. Most national chains have their nutritionals posted online but it is a challenge to read them because they break each individual item down and you have to add them up. Sometimes they go way over what they say. I have cut many restaurants out of my dining choices. I once went to a BBQ chain and when I went online and added each item I ate at dinner, it was just over 10,000 mg of sodium. That is 4 days of sodium with one plate.

10,000 is more than a week's worth for me. I keep my intake to 1,000-1,200mg/day to control Meniere"s disease.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,188 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
  Questions about first follow up with Dr after starting cpap JulieK 2 600 06-29-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need guidance for complex sleep apnea and leaks follow-up jmayer180 110 7,140 03-19-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Follow Up Visit & Sleep Study is here :) Abletree 1 654 11-28-2021, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Abletree
  Complex Apnea follow-up jmayer180 2 591 11-14-2021, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jmayer180
  Allergy Filter Follow-Up FLcracker 1 529 11-08-2021, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Follow up on my OSCAR readings please planetf1 1 498 04-22-2021, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.