Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Follow up after two months
Follow up after two months
Hello all,

I initially posted questions regarding my high AHI numbers back in early April of this year. I experimented with settings on the CPAP machine but nothing has seemed to improve my AHI numbers. when I have the pressure setting above 9.0 I get very gassy and bloated. 
[attachment=6638]

the gaps in the dates were when I was not at home and using a travel machine without a data card.

I'm not sure what to try now. My AHI numbers are still bouncing around. 

Are the Clear Aways, Obstructive, and Hypopnea numbers good or bad? What am I looking for here? Is the machine doing it's job?

Some mornings I feel fine despite a higher AHI, but often times I still feel pretty tired. 

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

cbombzzz
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Follow up after two months
I just want to note that previously you had tried higher pressures, but experienced an increase in central apnea. Some other members in your previous thread had mentioned a different mode of therapy (S/T or ASV). You ended on the last thread with a fixed pressure of 9.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
I must have everyone stumped
Post Reply Post Reply
Your CA's seem to be settled down. I'd increase the minimum to 10cm and give it a week to see how that looks.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
thank you for the reply. 

any pressure over 9.0 i get really gassy and bloated. i also wake up with an extremely dry mouth quite often. does this have anything to do with the mask or leak rate?

i use the humidifier at a setting of 2, higher than that and i get rainout.

i appreciate your advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm curious if there is a better way to ask questions or if I've offended someone here?
Post Reply Post Reply
No not offended. One of the first things you can try is increasing EPR 1cm at a time to see if it helps to prevent swallowing air. If you've had a problem with Clear events in the past you'll want to keep an eye on that. If the EPR starts causing a large increase in Clear events you'll want to reduce your EPR back down. You'll just have to test it and see how it goes.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello cbombzzz,

Gee whiz man, I apologize. I most certainly was not ignoring you and on behalf everyone else, I'm very sure they were not either. Sincere apologies to you sir.

You have come to the right place for advice.

Mask choice and leaks are some of the most problematic issues to find a solution for and there is no solid answer to your question because that is very unique to you. If your wrestling with leaks, mask choice is a very probable cause, but before you dish out money on another mask, ask your DME to let you use one of their trial or demo masks if they have them. A good DME will have this service. The leaks are also resolved by mask adjustments and pillow sizing a lot of times. Try the next size larger on your pillows, you may be surprised.

For dry mouth, it is typically caused by mouth breathing. A soft cervical collar has shown to be very effective. Chin straps are another option. This too, is a personal choice.

If you are mouth breathing, which i suspect, you likely will resolve dry mouth and leaks at the same time. My first suggestion is to try the soft collar. It can solve/prevent positional obstructive apnea as well. This is also an economical option.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2018, 01:42 PM)cbombzzz Wrote: Are the Clear Aways, Obstructive, and Hypopnea numbers good or bad? What am I looking for here? Is the machine doing it's job?

cbombzzz
Post Reply Post Reply
You have next to no clear airway (central) apnea, which is excellent. You are experiencing mostly obstructive apnea and hypopnea and those are resolved with increased pressure and EPR respectively. Following Walla Walla's advice will help to resolve those and hopefully there will be no emergence of central apnea.

Your numbers are not terrible. According to the last 3 charts you are at AHI of 4-5 which is the high end of treated. Based on Walla2's advice, the numbers should come down.

On another note, the aerophagia may may also be helped by a collar as well by keeping the airway alignment correct. No guarantees there, but i hope to address the higher pressure issues.
I got a tip the other day that by repositioning the pillow under the shoulders, head, and neck will help sometimes if your a back sleeper vs just having the pillow under the head and neck. Seems worthy of a try.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 291 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,654 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 486 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 674 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Has anyone ever received a refund on cpap after 3 months. Mwilson123 0 200 02-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mwilson123
  [CPAP] Still tired after 4 months of CPAP mohtorhead 11 1,030 02-03-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.