Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Follow up appt.
Follow up appt.
I had an appointment with my doctor and will start therapy this week. He stated he wanted to see me in 6 months. That seems to be a long time for a follow up. Please advise

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Follow up appt.
My follow up with the sleep lab is scheduled for 90 days after I started therapy but I have seen the DME clinician three times in the first month of usage. After the doctor interprets the titration study and prescribes the device, there's not much need for his or her involvement until the patient has some history on the machine. The early issues have been between me and the DME with a lot of help from this forum. They are mostly about getting the right mask and learning to use the equipment. Using an S9 AutoSet and SleepyHead to see my results, I was able to tweak the pressure settings myself. I'm expecting the doctor to look at my 90-day history and determine whether the therapy is effective and determine whether there are any other health issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
If things are going well, a 90-day or six month follow up might be fine. If there's not? Well that's a long, long time to wait.

Here's what I'd suggest: Keep the current follow up appointment schedule and hope for the best. If you have no serious problems adjusting to PAP and your sleep is improving (or at least not getting any worse), there's really no harm in waiting that long for a follow-up.

But ...

If you have any problems adjusting to PAP, get on the phone right away and let the sleep doc's office know about them as soon as they develop and ask the receptionist to have a nurse, PA, or the doc call you back. If the problem does NOT go away or gets worse OR if you develop more adjustment issues, then continue calling the sleep doc's office and keep them posted; ask for a call back each time you call to report about the problem(s). If the problem(s) become severe---i.e. your daytime functioning is suffering OR the problems are so bad that you are seriously thinking of abandoning PAP, then insist to the receptionist who answers the phone that you really think you need to be seen and ask for a call back from the nurse, PA, or doc. And when speaking with the medical professional, tell them that you really think you need a face-to-face meeting to discuss how bad things are.

If you are unlucky enough to have serious adjustment problems that really need to be addressed on the doc's end, a series of phone calls to the sleep doc's office where you request call backs from the nurse, PA, or doctor each time will get you the attention you need from the sleep doc's office and they'll make an earlier follow-up appointment for you if the situation warrants it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Smoothly,
What robysue said.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I am in a similar situation now, having just begun CPAP and completely my initial follow up with my doc, getting my prescription. My doc said he would really like to follow up after 4 months, being his preferred amount of time. He did indicate he would be willing to wait at most 6 months before seeing me again, so that is within the realm of safe for my doc, but not best practice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2014, 10:13 AM)robysue Wrote: If things are going well, a 90-day or six month follow up might be fine. If there's not? Well that's a long, long time to wait.

Here's what I'd suggest: Keep the current follow up appointment schedule and hope for the best. If you have no serious problems adjusting to PAP and your sleep is improving (or at least not getting any worse), there's really no harm in waiting that long for a follow-up.

But ...

If you have any problems adjusting to PAP, get on the phone right away and let the sleep doc's office know about them as soon as they develop and ask the receptionist to have a nurse, PA, or the doc call you back. If the problem does NOT go away or gets worse OR if you develop more adjustment issues, then continue calling the sleep doc's office and keep them posted; ask for a call back each time you call to report about the problem(s). If the problem(s) become severe---i.e. your daytime functioning is suffering OR the problems are so bad that you are seriously thinking of abandoning PAP, then insist to the receptionist who answers the phone that you really think you need to be seen and ask for a call back from the nurse, PA, or doc. And when speaking with the medical professional, tell them that you really think you need a face-to-face meeting to discuss how bad things are.

If you are unlucky enough to have serious adjustment problems that really need to be addressed on the doc's end, a series of phone calls to the sleep doc's office where you request call backs from the nurse, PA, or doctor each time will get you the attention you need from the sleep doc's office and they'll make an earlier follow-up appointment for you if the situation warrants it.

Good advice! My dr. (a pulmonologist) requested a follow up in four to six weeks. Its amazing how they are all different!
Post Reply Post Reply
It might also depend on how busy they are and your insurance (there level of reimbursement).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,197 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
  Help assessing recent charts, appt. tomorrow (!) Julia63 3 461 08-28-2023, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Questions about first follow up with Dr after starting cpap JulieK 2 601 06-29-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need guidance for complex sleep apnea and leaks follow-up jmayer180 110 7,154 03-19-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Follow Up Visit & Sleep Study is here :) Abletree 1 657 11-28-2021, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Abletree
  Complex Apnea follow-up jmayer180 2 593 11-14-2021, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jmayer180
  Allergy Filter Follow-Up FLcracker 1 529 11-08-2021, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.