Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Follow-up from DME or Doctor
Follow-up from DME or Doctor
First of all, I've been on CPAP for 70 something days and have not had any real issues adjusting. Well except that my lenght of sleep hasn't gotten any longer.

I had a sleep study done at the Internation Sleep Institute. So that means that I don't have a Respitory Doctor, a Dr. at the sleep lab reviewed my data recommended a titration study and then recommended CPAP 8 cm H20. Care then switch over to my primary care Dr.

My DME guy called at the 30 day mark to ask if I was using the CPAP and if it was working. I answered yes to both questions and that was it. I asked if he wanted me to send in the data card and he didn't understand, english was not his first language. So that was the first and last follow-up.

Should I be looking for a Dr. to review my data?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Follow-up from DME or Doctor
(03-05-2012, 08:35 PM)hoser Wrote: First of all, I've been on CPAP for 70 something days and have not had any real issues adjusting. Well except that my lenght of sleep hasn't gotten any longer.

I had a sleep study done at the Internation Sleep Institute. So that means that I don't have a Respitory Doctor, a Dr. at the sleep lab reviewed my data recommended a titration study and then recommended CPAP 8 cm H20. Care then switch over to my primary care Dr.

My DME guy called at the 30 day mark to ask if I was using the CPAP and if it was working. I answered yes to both questions and that was it. I asked if he wanted me to send in the data card and he didn't understand, english was not his first language. So that was the first and last follow-up.

Should I be looking for a Dr. to review my data?

welcome to the forum.

short answer is yes. try to look for a regular sleep doctor or at least a board certified pulmonologist. you should have someone involved in sleep medicine following you, not the primary care doc that knows a little about everything and alot about nothing.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Your DME should be giving you a lot more support. I have only been on my CPAP for about 6 weeks and I am so glad that I have my DME. I can drop in anytime or phone anytime if I have a question or concern. I have had 2 sleep doctor visits and another one tomorrow. I've had 2 oximetry tests. After being on the machine for 2 weeks I had to bring in my machine and they looked at the reports to see how I was doing. If you bought your machine from a DME then you paid a premium to get that support.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hoser, welcome
As greatunclebill mentioned it would nice to have a follow up with a sleep doctor every now and then.
Congrats adjusting to the therapy so quickly, it can be pain at first it took me a while to find the right mask and to keep on all night without leaking. My follow up is every six months, the doctor looks briefly at the download and say to me all good see you in another six months.
As long as leak under control, AHI below 5, getting decent sleep and feeling good about the therapy than there is not much more to it, just enjoy the fresh air. Goodnight
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2012, 11:32 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi hoser, welcome
As greatunclebill mentioned it would nice to have a follow up with a sleep doctor every now and then.
Congrats adjusting to the therapy so quickly, it can be pain at first it took me a while to find the right mask and to keep on all night without leaking. My follow up is every six months, the doctor looks briefly at the download and say to me all good see you in another six months.
As long as leak under control, AHI below 5, getting decent sleep and feeling good about the therapy than there is not much more to it, just enjoy the fresh air. Goodnight

my doc has never asked for data, but i never had auto machines til recently. i still don't think he will. he says, see ya in a couple years. give me a call every year and let me know everythings ok, basically so he knows we're still around and in the system. and of course if there is a problem, come in and see him. he's not a new guy. he's very qualified and been doing it a long time and is himself an apnea patient. i don't see him often, but know he's there if i need him.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Shock Shock Shock

OMG!!!

It always amazers me how you lot cope over there, its so different this side of the pond that its the total opposite. Now before you start shouting at me, Im not saying its better, just different.

Over here we have a doctor at the end of a phone and a clinic that we can go to, some have a sleep hospital and if you want you could see your doctor everyday if you wanted. Data is not allowed to be viewed or downloaded as us underlings dont have the knowledge to understand such complicated things. (Big Brother) You can get round thid by buying all your own equipment but if its all free on the NHS whats the point so at lot of us download on the sly Shhhh, dont tell.

If we could join the 2 systems then it would be perfect, our appointments over here are usually every 12 months or whenever you desire
Post Reply Post Reply
Hoser, your post is from one year ago. Could you bring us up to speed with what you decided to do about getting a sleep doc?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,734 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 527 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 934 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 331 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 793 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2
  Doctor ordered a CPAP sleep study melody 11 900 11-12-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.