Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

For Her for me, or For Him?
RE: For Her for me, or For Him?
Does the Autoset have a CPAP mode, too? I thought I read somewhere that it does, but can't find any confirmation anywhere.

I hope it does, because having tried a Devilbiss auto machine and struggling with it, I worry that I might have the same problem with ANY APAP machine. If the Autoset can at least be set to CPAP mode, I won't have totally wasted the money.
Post Reply Post Reply
Steve, collectively we are pretty good at optimizing therapy.
Post a set of OSCAR charts and I'll bet we can figure something out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fred
My old S9 is not long for this world and has been living on borrowed time for quite a while, so a new machine is inevitable.

When I tried the Devilbiss auto, I found it didn't respond quickly enough and/or would go into 'runaway' mode and wake me up. This makes me a little wary of APAP now, though I know the accepted wisdom on this forum is that the Resmed and Devilbiss are two very different machines.

My AHi is under control, usually running between <1 and 2.0 while using the S9 Elite.

I do rather fancy trying APAP again though, if only to spend less time on full inflation! I currently run at around 12cm. I still suffer from the very occasional panicky arousal when an episode goes on too long though.

Thanks for the offer of analysis, but given I have to buy a newer machine anyway, perhaps that should wait till I have some data from an Autoset? I'm expecting (hoping) that newer algorithms mean better sleep and less aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply
Steve,
Yes the Autoset has a CPAP(single pressure) mode. Actually, you can achieve this two ways. The first, is to set the AS10 to CPAP mode. The second is, while in Auto mode, set the Min and Max pressure to the same value.

With that said, many people are sensitive to large pressure changes. If you set the pressure range too wide, it can produce sleep disturbances in a person. I'm one of those people. I find that I can tolerate a 3 cm range without disturbing my sleep. I finally found my sweet spot that fits neatly within the 3 cm parameter. It can take some time so don't give up.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2020, 10:02 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Steve,
Yes the Autoset has a CPAP(single pressure) mode.  Actually, you can achieve this two ways.  The first, is to set the AS10 to CPAP mode.  The second is, while in Auto mode, set the Min and Max pressure to the same value.

With that said, many people are sensitive to large pressure changes.  If you set the pressure range too wide, it can produce sleep disturbances in a person.  I'm one of those people.  I find that I can tolerate a 3 cm range without disturbing my sleep.  I finally found my sweet spot that fits neatly within the 3 cm parameter.  It can take some time so don't give up.

Thanks. That's interesting. Do you find that 3cm reduction when not dealing with an event provides benefits?

Is it the size of the pressure difference that's the problem, or is it that a smaller difference means faster response?
Post Reply Post Reply
I set the minimum pressure at a therapeutic starting point. I then have an upper limit set to take care of those special moments. A lot of the users start off with a wide open setting of 4 cm to 20 cm. They will start off feeling like they are suffocating at the 4 cm only later to feel like they are being inflated like a balloon is it hits near the 20 cm pressure. From your previous use of the S9 you should have a good target point to start. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ordered the 'For Her' version today. Paid AU$1599, delivered. I could have got it approx AU$400 cheaper buying from the US, but the Aussie supplier was offering a local 5yr warranty on Resmed Australia-sourced machines. because I've been in a fist fight with an iMac these past few days, I was in no mood to countenance anything less than instant tech support  Rolleyes

They offered to set it up in accordance with my prescribed pressure, but I said I could deal with that myself - meaning I can ask you folks for help when I need it Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
New Autoset For Her arrived yesterday, so i have only used it for one night, but already I'm happy.

I was very relieved to find that it is indeed even quieter than my S9, particularly after buying the supposedly just-as-quiet Devilbiss that hissed and droned all night.

I was also relieved to find that the Autoset doesn't seem (so far at least) to go berserk when it's trying to head off an event like the Devilbiss did (the only other APAP machine I have used). I am not aware of being woken by pressure increases. AHI was 2.6, so similar to the S9 where it varied between 1.0 and 4.0.

The only small issue I had was with the humidifier, which I initially set on Auto. I soon woke with a dry mouth and throat and so switched it into manual mode and my own settings, which fixed the problem.

So far, so good. I will collect a few nights' worth of data, then bung it into Oscar for perusal.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.