Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

For the old military troops
A new Defense of Korea medal was authorized around 2003 for anybody stationed on land, sailing in adjacent waters or overflying korea for 30 continuous or 60 non-continuous days anytime from the end of the war in 1954 until a time yet to be determined in the future.  This is a campaign medal, just like any other campaign medal that will get  you access to the VFW and other clubs that require war time service. 

The reason i mention this is because it wasn't widely published. I retired in 1990 and didn't hear about til about a month ago.  If you left the service before 2003 you probably don't know about it either. For those with military display cases it looks nice with the other medals.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
There are so many unknown things that are available to military veterans it would seem.

Part of my job here in Australia involves transporting war vets to medical and hospital appointments... many of those vets are dealing with long existing health and injury issues, but never knew the service was available to them over the years.

There are conditions to what a war veteran can qualify for, but there a raft of different things available that are unknown in the general serving/vet community.

I turn up to collect a veteran in my Hire Car dressed in white shirt and tie, and provide the full chauffeur driver service for them.. they deserve nothing less in my eyes.  
The company I work for provides DVA Transport to veterans from WW2 through to current vets... our oldest vet we transport turned 100 years old last November, a true gentleman who always insists on tipping the drivers so we can buy a cup of coffee.  Smile

Thanks for posting about the medal, I will ask some of my passengers if there is an equivalent medal available for those here in Australia who served in Korea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, there are two Australian service medals for Korea:  

http://www.defence.gov.au/Medals/Austral...945-75.asp

http://www.defence.gov.au/Medals/Austral...-Korea.asp
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply