Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Forearm Pain linked to sleep disorders! Does anyone else get this?
RE: Forearm Pain linked to sleep disorders! Does anyone else get this?
I found this great website, maybe it will help you guys
askDrJo.com

I am having numbness in my pinky and ring finger when sleeping. She has taught me "neural glides" to stretch the nerves in my arm. Check it out,
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks readyforsleep Smile
I will check it out.

By the way, I've heard of people fixing the numb hands that they wake up with - by putting a brick under each Head end bed foot. They only put the bricks under the 2 feet of the bed that are under your head pillows. They say it inclines the bed slightly and remedies waking up with numb hands/fingers.
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently had a pain in my left bicep. Couldn't lift my shaker bottle.
It persisted for about 2 months. Then I saw my doctor who happens to be a DO. He tweeked my neck and shoulder and no more pain.
I have had similar experiences with chiropractors. I am a believer.
Post Reply Post Reply
well I figured out what it is so thought I'd share.
It is restless arm syndrome! Restless arms at night are common symptoms of what is known as "restless legs syndrome." If you suffer from restless legs syndrome, you typically feel as though something is crawling on or tingling underneath the skin of your arms and/or legs, it can be extremely painful. Some say it feels like it's in the bones. RLS results in an overwhelming urge to move your arms and legs and makes it difficult to sleep.

"I get the worst arm pains. I walk around all night moving them thinking it will help, all it manages to do is make it worse."
From <http://www.livestrong.com/article/264620-home-remedies-for-restless-arms-legs-at-night/>

"I have restless arms so bad it feels like its in my bones and it makes me want to rip my arms off"
From <http://www.livestrong.com/article/264620-home-remedies-for-restless-arms-legs-at-night/>

"my restless arms hurt and I feel as though it would be better if they fell off."

"my restless arms drive me crazy and keep me from falling asleep. I sometimes keep a wet towel near my bed and wrap that around my arm, that sometimes helps."
Post Reply Post Reply
How about instead of guessing you actually go to your doctor and have him/her check you out? It could be any of the the things mentioned, it could be something far worse, or nothing at all, so go get yourself looked at and eliminate all the guess work.

For instance, the left forearm could be cardiac in nature (although not so likely as you may think), the right could be carpal tunnel syndrome or other forearm orthopaedic pains - I see them all the time. If it is random it could be restless arm syndrome, but it could also be as simple as your sleeping position, particularly how you situate your arm when asleep. Have it looked at and then you will know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Coincidentally, I have this right now, in my right forearm. I thought it was too much mouse and iPad use, and am trying to go leftie as much as possible. I also thought it might be repetitive motion injury brought on by installing lots of RJ45 connectors on CAT6 cables at work. It is worse for me when my elbow is bent more than about 120 degrees. If bent fully, it gets worse. OTC pain meds are not really helping. It is kind of random, but usually worse in the morning. I have been resting my arm on a pillow and heating pad to increase blood flow at night, but that does not seem to be helping.

It started with a sharper issue for about a day in my shoulder, which went away. My arm feels weaker like there is decreased bloodflow, and now I have this vague dull pain that comes and goes.

I really hate doctors (except DocWils), but if it doesn't improve...
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 03:08 PM)readyforsleep Wrote: I found this great website, maybe it will help you guys
askDrJo.com

I am having numbness in my pinky and ring finger when sleeping. She has taught me "neural glides" to stretch the nerves in my arm. Check it out,

Hmmm. I missed the entire second page (and didn't even know DW was listening).

I am going to try this out. She seems to know what she's talking about (or is it just because she's cute?).

Here's what is scary; I can't even make the "mask" pose; I can't get my elbows up high enough, so maybe I am really tight anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2014, 08:47 PM)dubli Wrote: Thanks readyforsleep Smile
I will check it out.

By the way, I've heard of people fixing the numb hands that they wake up with - by putting a brick under each Head end bed foot. They only put the bricks under the 2 feet of the bed that are under your head pillows. They say it inclines the bed slightly and remedies waking up with numb hands/fingers.
Smile

wonder if doing that with the bottom of the bed would work for numb toes?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2015, 09:13 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 03:08 PM)readyforsleep Wrote: I found this great website, maybe it will help you guys
askDrJo.com

I am going to try this out. She seems to know what she's talking about (or is it just because she's cute?).

Here's what is scary; I can't even make the "mask" pose; I can't get my elbows up high enough, so maybe I am really tight anyway.

Try examining the tightness of your Scalenes and your shoulder girdle of muscles, particularly the supra and infra-spinatus. Most likely your problem is starting there, from a bad positioning of the shoulder, which then puts stress on the upper arm muscles, and massage or osteopathy will ease it. Also, look at your pillow and mattress. Your sleeping position may be what is doing this to you - neck at a bad angle and shoulder wedged square, for instance. Your neck should be in a straight line with your spine, and your under shoulder sloped forward, not taking the weight on the joint structure. In addition, your hips should be arranged such that the upper leg does not rest on the lower, but is slight before or behind it, preferably on a fold of blanket to keep the angle from stressing the hips and lower back.

If, however, you get a slight feeling of breathlessness accompanying these pains, then get thee to thy doctor, the problem may be in a not nice place to have one, if you get my drift.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2015, 05:58 AM)DocWils Wrote:
(05-23-2015, 09:13 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote:
askDrJo.com

Try examining the tightness of your Scalenes and your shoulder girdle of muscles, particularly the supra and infra-spinatus...
Sure. I'll get right on that. Unsure

Just kidding; I realize that this is probably wonderful advice, and I will try to follow it as best as I can. It just seems a little daunting when its in Latin.

Actually, I get a lot of great advice here, and I never really expected to get advice not related to OSA, but here we are, and I am delighted to see that there are solutions. The neural glides mentioned earlier seem to work pretty well by themselves, but this has my attention now, so I will follow through with other advice.

Not to wear out the issue, but realize you are dealing here with an ankylosing spondilitis sufferer who has struggled to find a sleeping position that works for decades. Usually with success. A flat mattress? out of the question. I sleep partially sitting up for the most part.

None of this came in handy during my sleep test; I was awake and in pain for most of it.

But I appreciate your input very much.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 1 65 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Many OA's and neck/shoulder pain sfgiants123 2 110 04-18-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,117 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 230 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 262 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 214 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 371 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.