Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Rebound Sleep
Rebound Sleep
Is it normal to sleep 9 and 10 hours when first using CPAP. My average for my first two weeks is 9 hours. Last night 10 hours. I know I've been exhausted for months unable to sleep because of stopping breathing. But I never expected to go from 4-6 hours a night to 8-10 hours a night on CPAP. To be honest some of those hours have been taken up with adjusting various masks and moisturizing a stuffy nose but wow I am so surprised at this. I thought I was an old incurable insomniac.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rebound Sleep
(12-06-2013, 06:20 PM)Lukie Wrote: Is it normal to sleep 9 and 10 hours when first using CPAP.
Everyone is different, took me months to to get what I,m now, sleeping over 6 hours ... 7 hours is top
On occasion might take an afternoon nap but not very often
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2013, 06:42 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-06-2013, 06:20 PM)Lukie Wrote: Is it normal to sleep 9 and 10 hours when first using CPAP.
Everyone is different, took me months to to get what I,m now, sleeping over 6 hours ... 7 hours is top
On occasion might take an afternoon nap but not very often

I think part of it is that up here on the Canadian border it gets dark early and if the day is overcast u might even have to turn your headlights on at I:00 pm.
It is very hard to stay awake past 9 pm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well Lukie aren't you the lucky girl. Like Zonk, I can't force myself, no matter how good I slept...to sleep more than 7-8 hours. I just retired after 37 years at the same place and I can't get out of that routine. BUT it's nice to not have to jump up and blast off to work every morning.

Down here in Texas, we keep our headlights on to scare the armadillos off the road.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a difference between sleeping 9 - 10 hours because you can and sleeping 9 - 10 hours because you otherwise can't function. If you fall into the first category, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your body is most likely making up or month/years of poor sleep.

If, however, you've been getting by on 4 - 6 hours and suddenly find you cannot function on less than 9 or 10, I'd suggest checking in with your doctor.

Enjoy those new found ZzzzZzzzs!

SSA

(12-06-2013, 06:20 PM)Lukie Wrote: Is it normal to sleep 9 and 10 hours when first using CPAP. My average for my first two weeks is 9 hours. Last night 10 hours. I know I've been exhausted for months unable to sleep because of stopping breathing. But I never expected to go from 4-6 hours a night to 8-10 hours a night on CPAP. To be honest some of those hours have been taken up with adjusting various masks and moisturizing a stuffy nose but wow I am so surprised at this. I thought I was an old incurable insomniac.

Post Reply Post Reply
Before CPAP I was sleeping about 90 minutes at a time, then getting up to go to the bathroom. Or, I'd wake up with the feeling that my heart was going to jump (or thump) out of my chest. The very first night at home on CPAP I went to sleep. When I woke up and saw daylight I thought - "Oh, my! I wonder where I am?" I used to travel a lot and really thought I was in a foreign country in a hotel. But, no. I had slept 9.1 hours without ever getting up or "waking up". I was, well … stunned. Now, 14 months into therapy, I'm sleeping an average of 8 hours a night - with one or two awakenings to either go to the bathroom or to quiet a farting mask (when I wear my "spare" mask, the Quattro). I love to sleep now! So hang in there and sleep all you want!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd been sleeping about 10 hours without CPAP. With CPAP, it's reduced slightly but not to that 8 hour mark.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found the opposite. When I was younger I used to wake up around 5:00am and either get some work done or go out and take photos in that beautiful dawn light. Over time I was sleeping later and later and many days couldn't get out of bed until 9:00 or 10:00 am - which didn't go down to well with the boss!

Now after three and a bit months on CPAP I starting to wake up earlier, sometimes getting back to the 5:00am. And feeling much fresher when I do.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get 8 to 9 hours quality sleep a night using my Cpap machine.
I'm not a Doctor but a fan of The Doctor. any views,comments etc are my own

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,201 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.