Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Format SD Card in ResMed Airsense 11?
RE: Format SD Card in ResMed Airsense 11?
When you put the SD card in the machine, the machine formats it. You don't need to do the formatting on your computer..  I am using a 32GB card in my AirSense 11.  You could try putting in a 128GB card and see it the machine formats it.  Take it out after the blue light stops flashing, connect the card to your home computer using a card reader and look at the contents of the card.  See if the machine created the folders.  If it did, use it for one night and see if you get data recorded by the machine.  If you do then I would say you can use a 128GB card in the AirSense 11.

(11-06-2021, 07:10 PM)pholynyk Wrote: If your SD card is 32 GB or small, it should be formatted properly for the AirSense 11. If it is larger, you will need to find a 32 GB or smaller (even 8 GB are getting hard to find).

As for what you will see, on the days the SD card was not in overnight, you will only get settings and summary statistics. To get the detailed flow graphs, the SD card must be in the machine while you sleep.

Currently, OSCAR doesn't handle the time zone setting, so the times displayed may be offset from your local clock.

Lastly, only the Autoset mode is detected properly - fortunately, that is the mode you are using Big Grin

When we see your OSCAR graphs, we can tell you more about what kind of apneas you are having.

When you put the SD card in the machine, the machine formats it. You don't need to do the formatting on your computer..  I am using a 32GB card in my AirSense 11.  You could try putting in a 128GB card and see it the machine formats it.  Take it out after the blue light stops flashing, connect the card to your home computer using a card reader and look at the contents of the card.  See if the machine created the folders.  If it did, use it for one night and see if you get data recorded by the machine.  If you do then I would say you can use a 128GB card in the AirSense 11.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2021, 08:16 PM)Arroyo Wrote: That's because a 128gb card has a different formatting (exFAT) than a 32gb card (FAT32).  Apparently the Airsense 11 can only work with FAT32 when it is engaged in data transfer.

There's really no way you could have formatted a 128gb card in a way that the Airsense 11 could have used it.

That is not true.  The difference of exFAT to FAT32 is the maximum size of a file that is allowed.  You can format a 128GB card as exFat or FAT32 or NTFS.  When I say format, I mean format on your PC or MAC.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem is that the CPAP's firmware has a built-in limitation on an address size. This limits the card size to a 32 GB.size.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2021, 08:16 PM)Arroyo Wrote: That's because a 128gb card has a different formatting (exFAT) than a 32gb card (FAT32).  Apparently the Airsense 11 can only work with FAT32 when it is engaged in data transfer.

There's really no way you could have formatted a 128gb card in a way that the Airsense 11 could have used it.

Actually, that is not true.  And I'm just as surprised as anyone.

I just finished several tests that prove (to my surprise) that the AS11 actually CAN use cards larger than 32gb.   For reference, my AS11 is running firmware with "BootloaderIdentifier": "SW04601.00.1.1.0.736edbdfd" and "ApplicationIdentifier": "SW04600.03.4.1.0.15380240d".

It is true that the Airsense11 does not recognize exFAT.  But that isn't the end of the story.  If an SD formatted with exFAT or other unrecognized format is inserted, the AS11 *WILL* reformat that card to FAT32 and use it -- even if larger than 32gb.   

I tested this with 64gb, 128gb, and 256gb cards.  
  • All were exFAT before insertion.  
  • Upon inserting them into the AS11, the machine reformatted them to FAT32 at their full capacity, then created the standard AS11 data structures.  
  • Using the machine for a few minutes created session files, and those were readable by Oscar (at least using the Windows build of Oscar 1.3.0 on Windows10 -- I can't speak to Mac or Linux builds).  
  • Windows disk manager and chkdsk confirm the FAT32 format, full allocation size, and healthy format.

I also repeated the same test with a 64gb card formatted as NTFS.  Upon insertion, the AS11 promptly reformatted it to FAT32 and happily used it.

The maximum size for FAT32 is not 32gb as many people think.  The practical limit for FAT32 is 8tb, and most current OS's will recognize FAT32 formatted partitions up to at least 2tb. The native OS commands may not be able to create a large FAT32 partition, but the OS will read/write one -- and there are plenty of 3rd party utilities that will format partitions larger than 32gb as FAT32.   

I didn't test larger than 256gb, so I don't know the upper limit.  But the AS11 can definitely format, read, and write cards up to at least 256gb.

Now I am NOT suggesting anyone use a card larger than 32gb...  I am just saying the AS11 will work with them.  There's just no need for that much space in a PAP machine, as even a 4gb or 8gb card will accommodate YEARS of nightly PAP data.   But if all you have is a 64gb or 128gb card, the AS11 will happily reformat it and use it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, ScottZZZ. That's all very good to know.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
ScottZZZZ -- what about my idea of partitioning the card with a FAT32 partition at the beginning/end, and then using the rest of the card to create a runtime environment for OSCAR and a place for saved OSCAR screenshots, sleep information, data from other devices, etc?

(Also I coulda sworn that my original card was FAT16 back in 2014 because I had struggles getting my mac to format it. But that was 7 years ago and I'm not at all sure what my problem was back then -- maybe I was just being an idiot!)

Also my DME has a ResMed-supplied card reader that will only read a card that was formatted by a ResMed cpap machine. I've speculated before that the Identification.crc file is a cyclic redundancy check that ensures that it's really ResMed data.

My exact experiment: took my laptop to my DME. They handed me one of their ResMed cards out of the drawer. I put it into my computer and dragged the contents of my card image with my couple of months of data onto the card. Their ResMed card reader rejected it. Took the card home and put it into the cpap machine. Machine said "preparing ..." Took the card out of the machine and back to the DME, and the ResMed card reader read it just fine and saw all my data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2021, 08:49 AM)cathyf Wrote: ScottZZZZ -- what about my idea of partitioning the card with a FAT32 partition at the beginning/end, and then using the rest of the card to create a runtime environment for OSCAR and a place for saved OSCAR screenshots, sleep information, data from other devices, etc?

Also my DME has a ResMed-supplied card reader that will only read a card that was formatted by a ResMed cpap machine. I've speculated before that the Identification.crc file is a cyclic redundancy check that ensures that it's really ResMed data.

My exact experiment: took my laptop to my DME. They handed me one of their ResMed cards out of the drawer. I put it into my computer and dragged the contents of my card image with my couple of months of data onto the card. Their ResMed card reader rejected it. Took the card home and put it into the cpap machine. Machine said "preparing ..." Took the card out of the machine and back to the DME, and the ResMed card reader read it just fine and saw all my data.
On partitioning the card and using the other partition for non-Resmed data...  Theoretically should be possible.  I haven't tried it.  The main concern would be what the PAP machine would do when it saw a second partition -- ignore it and use the first? Get confused and reject the card?  Go up in smoke?  Easy enough to test (hoping against that smoke response), so I'll put it on my list of things to try with the AS11 -- but that's the only Resmed machine I have access to at the moment.

On the card/file copying and ResScan....  I used ResScan only briefly many years ago, and have never used any Resmed card readers, so I don't know what happened there. You are correct that each ".crc" file is used to ensure integrity of the similarly-named data file.  The two files are a "matched set" and I would expect Resmed software to refuse the data if the .crc was missing, or if it was "mixed" with an unmatched data file.  That said, if ALL files -- including all the root folder files, not just the subfolders with session data -- were copied to a new card of the proper format, it SHOULD have worked.  Though it is also possible Rescan could be confused by additional files/folders -- like hidden indexing or volume files automatically created by a PC's OS when the card was inserted there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2021, 08:49 AM)cathyf Wrote: ScottZZZZ -- what about my idea of partitioning the card with a FAT32 partition at the beginning/end, and then using the rest of the card to create a runtime environment for OSCAR and a place for saved OSCAR screenshots, sleep information, data from other devices, etc?
I gave this a quick test on the AS11, with a 32gb card partitioned into 8gb and 24gb partitions (both formatted FAT32).  I also placed a few Oscar screen shots onto the 2nd partition.

When placed into the AS11, the AS11 created it's standard set of files and folders on the 1st partition -- and seemed to completely ignore the 2nd partition (no new files created there, and no errors displayed).  It treated the 1st partition just as it treats a single partition on any other card I have inserted.

From that initial test, it appears the AS11 will use the 1st partition and ignore a 2nd partition.  It's always possible a problem could pop up later as data is written, so more testing would be needed to ensure it works long-term.  It would also need to be tested with Resmed's software at a DME, but since that software is running on top of an OS that presents each partition as a drive, I wouldn't expect any problem there either.
Post Reply Post Reply
Part of how I use my SD cards is that the card in my machine never leaves my house  Smile 

I have an image of my card in a folder in my computer, which is a subdirectory of my Dropbox folder.

The computer's copy is backed up on Time Machine.

Dropbox asked me if I want it to make a backup of the SD card into a separate backup file, which it does every morning when I plug the card into my machine.

I generally load OSCAR from my computer copy, and the card is already back in my machine.

Now the trick is with the "taking the SD card to the DME/doctor" step, since the card that I'm recording on doesn't leave the house.

My process is that I have a physical separate SD card that I take places. I start with a blank card, and I put it into the computer and drag over the card image from the Dropbox folder onto the card. I then swap the new/backup card into the cpap, and it writes over the Identification.tgt, Identification.crc, STR.edf, and updates the DATALOG and SETTINGS directories. It doesn't delete anything in the DATALOG directory.

I then take the COPY that I just updated with me and hand it over.

One thing that I don't know is whether ResScan will read any of the data in the SETTINGS directory and/or the DATALOG subdirectories on one of my copies. I have a suspicion that the twisty path -- cpap machine writing to the machine's card, me copying from the machine's card to the computer, me copying from the computer to the traveling card -- leaves each {tgt/crc} pair and {edf/crc} pair in a state where the ResMed software rejects it because the crc file tells the software that the associated tgt or edf file is a copy.

What I think that I may be seeing is that the summary data is in the STR.edf file (the only file that doesn't have a crc companion), and the doctors and dmes don't want to read anything but the STR.edf file. If they put the card in the ResMed card reader and have the ResMed software print out just the summary data, and then get paid $82.66 for copying and pasting this:

Quote:Today's CPAP download shows an apnea-hypopnea index of 1.3 events/hr, minimal mask leak, and excellent compliance, wearing CPAP 100% of the time for an average of 6.5 hours per night.

CPAP Download
CPAP Pressure (cm): .................................... 7-8
Machine Type: ............................................... AirSense S10
Days of use? .................................................. 95
Percent (%) of days used? ............................ 100
Hours of use on days used? .......................... 6
Minutes of use on days used? ....................... 34
Average daily hours of usage, all days? ......... 6
Average daily minutes of usage, all days? ..... 34

into my chart, well that's a pretty damn sweet gig.

I maintain that the doctors/dmes don't want us to see our data because once we see our data then we expect them to look at our data, and we expect that the treatment plans that they make for us will be informed by the data.

And that's, like, work, dooooooood!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
@cathyf
Are you using Mac or Windows to copy the files?
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 495 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,849 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,634 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,839 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,051 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 230 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.