Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Forum has helped...but now next step to improve
RE: Forum has helped...but now next step to improve
(02-04-2021, 08:08 AM)multicast Wrote: Regarding your tremendous leaks not only the data provided by the machine are rather worthless but also your therapy ...

Pretty harsh, but I do feel better than when I didn't have the therapy.

Nevertheless, I know leaks are a problem, and will have to try another mask.  Last night I ripped off the F30i and returned to my N20 nasal mask and tape, the 3M 3" width.

The F30i started leaking around the jaw line as soon as my jaw relaxed, and I was using the cervical collar.  On the graph you can see it when it reaches 23:45 time. 

After that I returned to the nasal mask, awoken due to a "rain out".

I'm returning that mask and trying the Fisher& Paykel mask, if the DME agrees.

Frustrating that this is, I actually feel pretty good this morning.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
F&P mask ordered....and Fleximull tape coming so I can try with Nasal mask as well...going to hammer down this leaking stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good thread. Enjoy reading your posts - loads of info. I'm at a similar stage to you and every little bit of info helps.

Keep us updated
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,
Received the Fixomull tape and used it in last night's data run.

The tape pretty much covered my mouth, to my cheeks, and down the neck....a very good seal I felt, much like the 3" 3M tape.  Also put on a freshly shaven face.

I noticed the graph indicates a leak.  Not sure how, but it is one of the lowest that I've had in the two years of treatment.  

I noticed that I woke a couple times during the night, but went back to sleep.   Had a few vivid dreams, and the one I remember the most was being suspected of shoplifting, but I had nothing I stole and was detained by authorities without any ID to provide them who I was...a frustrating dream trying to prove who I am, lol.

I still feel a bit tired, not foggy, but not super alert.   I probably could have slept another hour, and would have been happy to do so.

The Fisher & Paykel Simplus mask is on its way and I should receive it by the end of the week I hope.

Post Reply Post Reply
First night with the F&P Simplus full face mask.

Help needed....I feel like I was run over by a bus.
I used my cervical collar, and tooth guard.

I thought I felt some leaks, and would re adjust mask to eliminate them.
I do remember having a dream after 4 am, as I woke then to put on some binaural beats on my iphone to listen on headphones and try to fall asleep again.

I don't know what to do with leaks....although there was the suggestion for liners.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t have the solution to your leak problem but see clustering of OA and hypopnea that indicates chin tucking. You mentioned using a cervical collar. Is it adjusted too loose so that your chin can tuck behind it? I sometimes have that issue if I’m not careful with the adjustment. You don’t want it so tight it’s choking you but but it needs to be snug enough so your chin can’t tuck behind it.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2021, 01:21 PM)Melman Wrote: I don’t have the solution to your leak problem but see clustering of OA and hypopnea that indicates chin tucking. You mentioned using a cervical collar. Is it adjusted too loose so that your chin can tuck behind it? I sometimes have that issue if I’m not careful with the adjustment. You don’t want it so tight it’s choking you but but it needs to be snug enough so your chin can’t tuck behind it.

Yeah, I saw that, I'm not sure...but I have a possible explanation.  I have a CPAP pillow that's raised a little higher than another pillow.  If you look at the graph, I remembered that I switched pillows at 4AM....that section has no clusters. I'm suspecting that it might be the pillow, and will use this pillow tonight.

BTW, I like your KI61 model in your avatar, nice work if you built it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Switched back to a down pillow.  Made sure my Cervical collar was properly positioned and the result is on the attached graph.

I do remember that at one point my lower lip was hanging out the bottom of the mask. Not sure how that happened.

Also, at times, I felt like I was gasping for air...it was a very strange sensation....not sure if that's pressure related or IDK?

One other thing, I was having "rain out" problems with my nasal mask previously, so I had moved my machine to a lower position on my nightstand, along with cutting out the backboard so I could route the tubing through.  With this I lose about a foot of slack on the tube, I'm wondering if the tube is catching and pulling my mask as I move.  With this in mind, I ordered a Snugglehose cover to bring back the CPAP machine to it's previous position.  Also mask liners are arriving tonight, so another wack at this.

Today I woke up in a better state than yesterday, but still a bit tired and sleepy.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry to be posting so soon.  I know I should give it a few days for a trend to occur, but I'm going a bit balmy at the fact I'm waking up more tired than when I had a nasal mask, mouth tape and showing a higher leak rate.

Last night I used a mask liner on the F&P full mask.  Leakage is still occurring. Is it excessive...I don't know, as it is falling below Resmed's 24L/min. standard.

Granted I tried to adjust how the liner was placed as well as the feeling of the liner, which was a little bit uncomfortable.

Maybe I shouldn't have done this as well, but I'll fess up, I upped my lower pressure and higher pressure (0.4), as I read somewhere flow limitations could be handled like this.  I still don't understand clearly the mechanics of flow limitation even after reading the Wiki on it.  Maybe it's the brain fog...I woke up really tired this morning and planning to do a 100 mile bike ride today.  Nothing worse than not getting a good night's sleep before such an endevour.

On the attached graph, I'm surprised at the amount of flow limitations that are occurring.  Any help on this would be appreciated.

And if suggested that a few more days of graphs is needed, I'm fine with that.  I really appreciate any help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I switched back to my nasal mask (N20) and Fixomull tape.   I wanted a good night's sleep as I have a busy few days ahead and wanted to be sharp and not foggy as I've been using the F&P FFM.  That mask still is not working for me.  As well as the liners.  

My results are attached.

At one point I was awoken by a nightmare, at the 1AM point, I remember having a look at my clock  then.  It seems my leaks felt non-existant, but when I look at the data, there still seems to be leaking.  I do have some stuble, so I think that may have contributed...whatever.

I felt somewhat rested when I awoke, but not really a jump up and go type of feeling.

Nevertheless, looking at a zoomed in waveform in the flow limitation sections, I can see flattening of respiration waveform, and was wondering if I should change EPR, or min/max pressures.  Not sure what else to do.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 269 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 188 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,286 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 525 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Improve Respiratory Rate? MrIvanDrago 4 347 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Improve my CPAP Performance dpoelker 4 260 02-06-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 676 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.