Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Forum has helped...but now next step to improve
RE: Forum has helped...but now next step to improve
Hi all...the continuing story...

I switched back to my nasal mask and Fleximull tape.   This seems to work well, still having a leak, but below the 24L/min. 

The Fischer &Paykel mask leaks too much.  I believe the combination of cervical collar is pushing my lower chin too much and the mask seems to pull over my bottom lip causing a leak.   I'm in such a deep sleep condition, I don't even notice it.   So that's one reason I went back to the nasal mask last night.  I can't afford to experiment some nights because I need to be fresh and focused the next day.

Woke up ok, but still felt a bit tired.

Attached is my all night graph, but my concern is the waveform around the 12:45AM point.  

The second graph shows this anomaly in the waveform.

A very strange flow rate waveform.  Has anybody seen this type of waveform?   Any suggestions on what it may mean?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Very common wave form usually means oral expiratory breathing. In hale nasally, exhale orally. Fischer Paykel calls it puffing.

[Image: Flow_limitation_images_zpsdb148d1f.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on Cpap over 4 years and for the most part I rarely go over 1.00 AHI and I owe it all to this forum. I just wanted to point out a few problems you mentioned that I have experienced. You are using the Resmed F30i mask. I tried it after using the original F30 for a year. Both these masks only come in small & medium cushions, and seem to end up over your bottom lip. I went back to the F30 as it seemed to work better for me as very light and less bulky and as a side sleeper, the F30i had air travel down both sides of the headgear and my head would twist as I tossed and it leaked too much. What you said you liked was the cushion came up to your nostrils. So does the F30. What I found out was when the mask gets older, the silicon gets more flimsy and leaks and slides up over you lower lip. Unlike a few masks I have used, the F30 series requires more frequent replacing of the cushion. Why Resmed does not make a large cushion is a mystery to me. There are others that come up to your nostrils like Amara View and Dreamwear to mention a few.

Another thing that caught my eye on your post, was taping with a full face mask. I taped with pillows and nasal masks and when I tried it on a FFM, (F20) I became sick one evening and started throwing up. I started to panic trying to get the mask off before I gagged. Fortunately I was a side sleeper or it could have been tragic. The same can hold true with power losses.

The most difficult thing about apnea for me and I'm sure many others, is finding the perfect mask. Whoever invents the perfect mask, will become extremely rich.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider for the illustrations on waveforms.  Is the huffing something of a concern as far as using settings on the machine to reduce this type of breathing?

Thank you for your comments michael9346, but there are some corrections needed in what you wrote.

I stopped using the F30i after a week due to it's leaks.  It was a brand new mask. 

I replaced it with a Fischer & Paykel Simplus.  I've never taped my mouth with a full face mask.

I only tape with a nasal mask.

Last night I used the F&P mask and got a good seal. I also changed out my cervical collar to the 3 1/2" width model (as opposed to the 2 1/2" that I've been using), and chose not to use my tooth guard as well.  I had some wake up episodes, the mask was leaking at the bridge of the nose, on occasion. I'm still not sold on the liners, which I have.
Woke up a little sleepy, but felt somewhat rested.

I'm going to give this Simplus mask another couple of nights tryout and if it keeps the leak rates low, I haven't gotten a 0 night, ever, I'll stick with it.  I may also try the Vitera mask...I still have tryout time on this mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Vitera is just the next generation of the Simplus.  The Vitera has a longer compression travel around the bridge of the nose and lighter headgear.  Of course, they changed how the mask connects to the headgear, thus making them noninterchangeable.  Other than that, I can't see any vast differences between the two.  A side note; Now that the Vitera is out, replacement Simplus masks are a lot cheaper.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Crimson Nape...will consider your observation going forward.

I now know, or at least have a good assumption on why I'm getting the " puffing" exhale. For the past two nights I haven't used my upper teeth mouth guard (grinding prevention). One advantage of not using the guard is I can better press my lips together to seal when using tape with my nasal mask.

I also have larger lips, and that may be another reason for the "lip farting" and leakages I get. Last night, with the full face mask and not using tape (don't do that with FFM), I saw in my data run that "puffing" waveform. Deep sleep point I'm assuming as well.

I'll see over the next few nights with the F&P FFM.

Thanks all for comments...always helpful on this board.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might consider purchasing the next larger size mask, if you're not using the large. I usually use the medium, but find that the large allows a wider contact without much more in length. This allows me to get more of my face into the mask. At some point though, my face realizes this and adjusts to this size. I then drop back down to the medium and all is well.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2021, 01:59 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: You might consider purchasing the next larger size mask, if you're not using the large.   I usually use the medium, but find that the large allows a wider contact without much more in length.  This allows me to get more of my face into the mask. At some point though, my face realizes this and adjusts to this size.  I then drop back down to the medium and all is well.

Hmmm...Interesting.
If I were to describe my facial features, and if looking from the top of my head down, the sides of my face slope, so it would almost look like a triangle from the top down.  I don't have a wide face, narrow.  When I weighed 40 lbs heavier, my face was wider, puffier...but I've lost that weight.

In any case, last night I had the least amount of leakage in the week or so that I've used the Fischer & Paykel mask.  I think I have the straps placed in the right orientation to secure the mask. 

Nevertheless, I still woke up with a face itch, and then kept waking up through the night.  Still, I'm feeling OK this morning, so I must have hit some deep sleep states.  There were dreams, but nothing I can recall.

I've attached the graph.  Not sure what could be gleaned from this, other than reducing the leaks to non-existant.  I think I'll try mask liners again because I'm getting comfortable with this mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just a followup, after a week or so of struggling with the F&P mask and liners, I dropped that FFM and have returned to the N30 nasal mask.

Furthermore, I'm now using Fixomull tape as well as Somnifix tape.  Yes, two layers of tape.  

I've adjusted pressure to be a min of 9 - 13 range, but the graph you see attached indicates a 10 - 14...I changed the setting at 6 AM, as I was in a panic that my magnetic strap connections were knocked off by my Cervical Collar sliding.  

In any case, I don't think I can ever drop my leak to zero, as I've seen others graphs having this...I'm perplexed by this.  I'm thinking of ways to test whether the machine or mask can be tested for leaks while awake and recording the data, then looking at the Oscar graph for any indication.  
There was mention by someone on this board about reducing pressure to have a better leak value, is this a viable solution?  

Probably the key indicator is how one feels in the morning.  I've had very spotty results.  Sometimes I feel groggy, sometimes dizzy, sometimes tired...very few times refreshed and ready to jump out of bed and tackle the day, or at least what I remember how I felt when I was a teenager and jumping out of bed to enjoy the day.

Not sure what I'm asking from the forum members, but I'm a bit frustrated by the therapy.

Thanks for looking.

Post Reply Post Reply
"There was mention by someone on this board about reducing pressure to have a better leak value, is this a viable solution?"

just as adjusting pressure for some people with some machines to find a balance between oa and ca, it might be necessary, at least temporarily, to reduce pressure to reduce leaks.

a while back when my leaks were out of control, that's exactly what I did. backed off pressure to find that place where leaks were tolerable without terribly increasing events. after a while, incrementally increasing pressure as for reasons unknown my leaks subsided (then at least, they come and go). same with dealing with aerophagia. no point in suffering these things if it makes using the machine so hard we don't get sufficient treatment. better some treatment than none.

so yes, by all means, if leaks are creating problems, back off the pressure while continuing to find a better fitting mask, dealing with mouth leaks, or whatever it takes to reduce your leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 273 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 190 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,287 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 527 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Improve Respiratory Rate? MrIvanDrago 4 348 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Improve my CPAP Performance dpoelker 4 261 02-06-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 687 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.