Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Bloated, gas, air in stomach caused by CPAP?!?!?
RE: Bloated, gas, air in stomach caused by CPAP?!?!?
It works for one of the members here. That's how he got his to stop. I don't see how it works either, but he swears by it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bloated, gas, air in stomach caused by CPAP?!?!?
(05-14-2012, 01:20 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: •Adjust the position of your head so that it's not tilting forward while you sleep - keep the airway wide open

While this works for some, just the opposite works for others, like me! Keeping my chin tucked against my chest pinches off the entrance to my esophogus, preventing air from entering my stomach. This can be achieved by putting an extra pillow under your head while sleeping on your back, or simply tilting your head down while sleeping on your side.

These are not comfortable sleeping positions, but keep in mind that they're temporary. After a while I stopped swallowing air and was able to return to more comfortable sleeping positions.

Quote: •Consider a machine with exhalation pressure relief - this will help prevent involuntary swallowing

My doctor prescribed a BiPAP for me because I was swallowing too much air. This machine lowers the pressure during exhalation by an even larger amount.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Y no photos of mask-caused "sores" on the www? nelsonka 1 379 12-15-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,152 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  High amount of central apnea caused by OSA? LiaASV 32 2,436 12-04-2023, 10:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Cervical collar caused more centrals? Xeros 4 1,086 10-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 988 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Leaks and mask displacement for side-to-stomach sleepers. Tape down nasal pillows? Bostonsnow 0 634 08-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow
  Playing around with pressure, CA's? Sometimes wake up bloated/gassy jkang9080 3 455 07-31-2023, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Millstone50

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.