Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fragmented sleep
RE: Fragmented sleep
Sam, how long do you usually stay awake when you wake up in the middle of the night?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
Before starting CPAP in April 2012 I was waking several times a night. After being on CPAP for several months with no improvement I went to see the sleep doc. She suggested that some people develop a psychological need to wake up, i.e., after years of waking several times a night my brain continues to wake me even if it does not need to. She did not offer any remedy. Today I still wake four or five times a night, although usually I can roll over and go back to sleep in a few minutes. The longest I can sleep is about three hours, and usually only a couple hours. The sleep period gets shorter as the night proceeds.

I've tried everything, including over the counter medications (diphenhydramine HCL, doxylamine succinate, melatonin), but none of them has much effect, even if I take way more than the label instructions say, or if I take all of them. I think I'm immune to them. I've never tried any prescription sleep aids (scary).

In spite of this the CPAP has been beneficial. I used to nod off half a dozen times during the day. Now I go most days without nodding off, and if I do it is only once, briefly. But on rare occasions when I have been able to sleep for more than three hours without waking I feel great the next day. I suspect that my sleep periods are too short to get much REM sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2016, 09:38 PM)SamStamport Wrote: My situation seems opposite from yours. The small mask has fewer leaks than the large one.

I guess everyone's face is different.

Small (nasal) masks are less likely to leak precisely because they are small. However, my mouth was falling open, and that's the source of the leak. When a chin strap doesn't remedy the problem, a switch from a nasal mask to a full face mask is the solution.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Help keeping mask on/less fragmented sleep jblack33 8 271 04-05-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 226 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Fragmented sleep - AirSense 11 vs. 10 skydoc01 3 272 03-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 257 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Fragmented REM or Aerophagia on Bi-Level jrcifani5005 12 1,100 11-06-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,421 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  0.0 AHI - Fragmented Sleep and Waking Fatigued Korgunaard 10 1,431 09-08-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.