Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

FrankFuss's Therapy Thread
FrankFuss's Therapy Thread
I am looking for advice.  I have been using CPAP for about three months now.  I have always been concerned about the central apnea clusters that I see in the OSCAR data.  Attached are screenshots from last night, which shows what I am dealing with.  I also attached a screenshot from the night before, which is more typical.  I currently have EPR set to 2, but I can still see central apnea clusters with a constant pressure and EPR 1 or 0.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: FrankFuss's Therapy Thread
Welcome to the forum.
You definitly have what looks like typical TreatMent Emergent Central Apnea or Complex Apnea. CO2 is being flushed out of your system to below your apneic threshold at which you will have central apnea. This is clearly indicated by the waxing/waning pattern in your zoomed view. Do note that this in not uncommon and just need a bit of time to get control of it, the first step is to reduce your EPR. These central apneas have a characteristic we call beu=ing consistently inconsistent meaning they do jump all over the place.

Set your EPR = 1 to reduce this flushing. We may need to have you turn it off, but we will see.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a screenshot from last night with EPR set to 1.  The second screenshot shows a typical 2 minute Flow Rate zoom.  I assume this is showing some flow limitation.  Compare this with a typical Flow Rate zoom when I had EPR set to 3.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It's possible you'll need to juggle some trade-offs. But for now, I encourage you to follow Gideon's advice. By following it, you'll be helping your body adjust to the ventilation you're getting with CPAP. Over time, you're likely to see the central apnea diminish. Once it's down to a manageable level, you can try increasing your EPR again.

Also note that reducing flow limitations may or may not have an effect on the quality of your sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,074 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 171 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,361 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,213 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.