Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Free distilled water for humidifiers.
RE: Free distilled water for humidifiers.
A little research seems to show that you guys are right. I could have sworn that the ubiquitous and cheap gallon bottles in the grocery stores had labels that declared them to contain only highly purified water for use in place of distilled water. I guess I was wrong.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course, buying a till is pretty cheap these days - a decent one with an escape valve for the more noxious elements costs around $120 US. And in the long run is cheaper than paying even $4.00 every week for the water for the humidifier tank (which is the absolute cheapest I could buy it at in the pharmacy) -
look at it this way - you are going to a hose head for the rest of your life, and the water costs build up over that time, so why not?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2012, 07:40 PM)wilorg Wrote: Of course, buying a till is pretty cheap these days - a decent one with an escape valve for the more noxious elements costs around $120 US. And in the long run is cheaper than paying even $4.00 every week for the water for the humidifier tank (which is the absolute cheapest I could buy it at in the pharmacy) -
look at it this way - you are going to a hose head for the rest of your life, and the water costs build up over that time, so why not?

Because I spend about 83 cents every couple of weeks. I could go buy a condenser coil for my pressure canner for under $10, but what is my time worth? I make way more an hour than that. I think I'll continue to go to the supermarket.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are so lucky as to buy it so cheaply, but there are others who cannot, myself being one of them. Indeed, for me it is a cost of nearly 200 in the year for store bought distilled water, and that make a huge difference...
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2012, 07:55 PM)Sleepster Wrote: A little research seems to show that you guys are right. I could have sworn that the ubiquitous and cheap gallon bottles in the grocery stores had labels that declared them to contain only highly purified water for use in place of distilled water. I guess I was wrong.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some sort of "pseudo distilled" water somewhere at one time, so don't feel too bad. I forget the exact labeling. More importantly, I've seen water that was distilled and then had minerals added back for taste, which is good for drinking, but bad for your water tank.

(09-14-2012, 08:58 PM)wilorg Wrote: If you are so lucky as to buy it so cheaply, but there are others who cannot, myself being one of them. Indeed, for me it is a cost of nearly 200 in the year for store bought distilled water, and that make a huge difference...

While I think you'd be crazy for not using distilled when it's as cheap and easy as it is for me to get it here in the US, I think most drinkable tap water is just fine as long as you dump daily, clean frequently, and replace the tank as needed. Especially if you have a tank you can open up for real cleaning.

For $200 a year, I might use tap water or bottled water and just clean more often.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess the question comes down to is it JUST about cleaning the tank (not a problem here - I do so every day anyway) or is it also a question of what volatile chemicals end up being inhaled into your lungs if you use tap water (or other sources, such as "neo-"distilled water)... and ARE you inhaling anything else if you use non-distilled water?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2012, 04:42 AM)wilorg Wrote: I guess the question comes down to is it JUST about cleaning the tank (not a problem here - I do so every day anyway) or is it also a question of what volatile chemicals end up being inhaled into your lungs if you use tap water (or other sources, such as "neo-"distilled water)... and ARE you inhaling anything else if you use non-distilled water?

I always thought the real reason for using distilled water is to prevent mineral buildup in the tank. This is a problem for people living in areas with hard water, like most of the central U.S.

As has been pointed out the water vapor produced by the humidifier is actually distilled water, so if you fill the tank with distilled water you are actually breathing doubly distilled water. I'm sure there are studies about what molecules and pathogens can hitch a ride with the H2O molcules as they leave the tank water, but I'm too lazy to look them up.

Post Reply Post Reply
We are constantly breathing microbes and pathogens that "hitchhike" in the air we breathe. I wouldn't be worried about hitchhikers in the humidifier. As I've said in previous threads, the microbes need more than water to multipy...they need food. Distilled water doesn't offer that food. A good rinse periodically, is all the humidifier should need.
--==<< old, experienced, but still curious >>==--
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2012, 04:42 AM)wilorg Wrote: I guess the question comes down to is it JUST about cleaning the tank (not a problem here - I do so every day anyway) or is it also a question of what volatile chemicals end up being inhaled into your lungs if you use tap water (or other sources, such as "neo-"distilled water)... and ARE you inhaling anything else if you use non-distilled water?

Think about how much of that water you ingest when you drink that water. Or use it for cooking. Or that you inhale while taking a shower.

Compare that to the 150 mL or so of water consumed in the humidifier each night.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can germ pass from the humidifier to me ?
No, using a heated humidifier in line with your CPAP device will not cause you to become sick or give you germs. Fisher & Paykel Healthcare's heated humidifiers are pass-over humidifiers that do not produce aerosols (the fine water droplets that are visible to the eye such as steam from a kettle). Pass-over humidifiers add moisture in the form of water vapor.
Water vapor particles are smaller than bacteria or viruses so it is impossible for them to be transported up to the mask (and then to you).
Even if pathogens (germs) were able to exist in the chamber, they would not be able to be transported to you.
The important thing to remember is that all equipment (especially your mask) needs to be cleaned thoroughly on a regular basis, so that it does not become a desirable environment for bacteria to live and grow.
Follow the cleaning instructions for all equipment to ensure proper hygiene and cleaning.
http://www.fphcare.com/osa/clinical-and-...qs.html#ns
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.