Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Free distilled water for humidifiers.
Free distilled water for humidifiers.

In going through some of the older messages, I found a long thread about making your own distilled water (using rain water, etc.).

No one seemed to realize that, if you have a refrigerated air conditioner or a refrigerated de-humidifier, you already have your own water distiller. The humidity that condenses on the evaporator (cooling element) of the air conditioner is actually distilled water. Just capture it from the drain pipe and let it run into a clean plastic bottle (empty milk jugs work well).

You'll find that this "distilled water" will work great in your cpap humidifier and won't leave the white crud that has to be cleaned off with a vinegar solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Free distilled water for humidifiers.
Well, yeah, but the mold, ruse, and other assorted crap you'd get from that would be much worse than any mineral deposits. There's no way to adequately keep the hose from forming mold or the vents themselves.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
You will find that as long as the drain hose is left undisturbed virtually none of that crud will end up in the water stream. Really!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bernie, What PaulaO2 said.! and oh, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
While that sounds good, it's a really, really bad idea.

If you've ever taken apart an old air conditioner and cleaned the area where the water condenses from, you'll see why. The evaporator coils will be covered with a truly disgusting mix of dust, dead skin cells, bacteria, pollen, animal hair, mold, fungus, and dirt. It's like sweeping up several years worth of dust bunnies from underneath your beds, couches, and the refrigerator, and pouring nice clean water into it and letting it ferment for a few weeks before pouring it into your humidifier.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
What's the point?? The cost of distilled water has to be the least expensive supply that you use with your machine. A gallon usually lasts me 3 to 4 weeks at a cost of 84 cents. Why risk your health using distilled water of dubious origin??? Oh-jeez
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2012, 10:50 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: A gallon usually lasts me 3 to 4 weeks at a cost of 84 cents.
Cheaper if you buy the 1000 Ltr container

[Image: bulky.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, but it probably won't fit under my bathroom sink! :grin:
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2012, 01:55 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: Yeah, but it probably won't fit under my bathroom sink! :grin:

Sink? My bottle serves double duty as a doorstop so the fan does not blow the door closed!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
bobg1946 Wrote:
A gallon usually lasts me 3 to 4 weeks at a cost of 84 cents.

hmm its .99 cents here what a rip off
Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,374 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 355 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.