Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Free distilled water for humidifiers.
RE: Free distilled water for humidifiers.
1 litre here, four Swiss franks. Not a cheap solution - I use the distilled water from my condenser dryer - it is a closed system so no crud can build up and I am careful about checking water content and quality.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2012, 07:34 PM)wilorg Wrote: 1 litre here, four Swiss franks. Not a cheap solution - I use the distilled water from my condenser dryer - it is a closed system so no crud can build up and I am careful about checking water content and quality.

Yikes!

(If you're in the U.S., that's about $16 a gallon.)

I'm certainly glad the tap water here is snow melt, which is still almost pure distilled water when it comes out of my faucet, not counting the bit of chlorine that they add. I've been using it in my humidifier for four months now, and so far not a trace of icky stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2012, 07:34 PM)wilorg Wrote: 1 litre here, four Swiss franks. Not a cheap solution - I use the distilled water from my condenser dryer - it is a closed system so no crud can build up and I am careful about checking water content and quality.

There is no way it's a closed system. Where do you think the water vapor is coming from? It's coming from the air in your room, along with all the pollen, dust, and germs in the air in your room.

Tap water would be enormously safer than humidifier water. Just dump the water out of the humidifier every day, clean often, and replace the tank occasionally.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2012, 12:27 AM)archangle Wrote: There is no way it's a closed system. Where do you think the water vapor is coming from? It's coming from the air in your room, along with all the pollen, dust, and germs in the air in your room.

Modern clothes dryers are not vented. The moist heated air inside the drum is circulated through a cooler where the water vapor condenses into water. The water is then expelled down the drain. This is essentially distilled water, since condensing water vapor is exactly how distilled water is made.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's recommended that the condesate drain be cleaned twice a year by pouring clorox down the drain tube. The reason is because the drain tube tends to get clogged up. It's a maintenance issue.

But, like I said before, virtually none of that crud will get deposited into the water stream.

I don't see a problem using it in your humidifier. But I wouldn't do it.

If I were really thirsty I'd drink it. But I'd have to be really thirsty. Okay
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2012, 08:28 PM)JJJ Wrote: Yikes!

Gasoline is cheaper than that! So is even the most expensive beer!!

Oh-jeez I wonder what they pay for Swiss cheese over there?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2012, 01:11 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(09-05-2012, 08:28 PM)JJJ Wrote: Yikes!

Gasoline is cheaper than that! So is even the most expensive beer!!

Oh-jeez I wonder what they pay for Swiss cheese over there?

ALL cheese is Swiss cheese here (unless we buy imported French or Italian) ;-)

If you mean Ementhaler, which Americans call Swiss cheese (and which they produce by stamping out holes in the cheese as opposed to the gas produced holes in real Ementhaler) I wouldn't call it expensive, but since I don't like it (I prefer goat cheeses) I never buy it.

The condenser dryers are relatively closed systems, and the water produced is immensely clean, at least from the Miele dryers. Once obtained, I run it through a filter to remove any bit of fluff that may have crept in, and I save a ton of money that way. Either that or buy a still....
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2012, 06:48 PM)wilorg Wrote: If you mean Ementhaler, which Americans call Swiss cheese
Its OT but most local cheeses sold here as Swiss cheese do not meet the standard set by the Swiss AOC (appellation d'origine controlee)
[Image: 200px-Emmentaler.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still curious why distilled water is so expensive in Switzerland. I know energy is more expensive in Europe, and distilling water takes a lot of energy, but energy is not 16 times as expensive in Europe as it is in North America.
Post Reply Post Reply
Supply and demand. US folks have been taught that distilled water is the only way to go and is best for you. I know a lot of people use it as drinking water, thinking it is purer. But probably in Switzerland, there's not as big a demand for it. Perhaps the water there does not have as many minerals and distillation is unnecessary.

I had a similar discussion with a friend of mine from the UK. She could not understand why USians were so wasteful and used dryers when a clothesline is free. She said clothes line dried clothes are soft and smell good. But my clothes, when hung on a line, are stiff as a board and not soft in the least! My jeans would be a deadly weapon. It's the difference in the water and how it reaches the surface.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 355 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.