Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fresh Start
Fresh Start
This is a different thread from the previous ones that used use a number of various machines, masks, chin straps and C-collars.

Let's start from here and disregard any prior knowledge of my conditions/afflictions and concentrate on this chart alone.

With that in mind what changes would you suggest making and please explain why?. 
(there are 2 brief segments closed as they were SWJ caused by pesky leakage from a FF mask I switched from to a QuattroAir- waiting on a Simplus)

[attachment=4856]

Okay  "Sock it to me!"   

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fresh Start
A quick glance it looks like you had two groups of OA events that look positional.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would want to see your sleep report before making recommendations. Looks like you might have complex or mixed apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you have a fairly even distribution of CA, OA and H. Your machine is putting out PS2 over 13 to 19 EPAP (15/13 to 21/19), and pressure is mainly responding to flow limitations. My normal suggestions would be positional therapy for the obstructive clusters and higher pressure support to suppress hypopnea and flow limitations, but I can't ignore your past, and that would cause a significant increase in CA. That leaves me with the positional therapy and perhaps limiting that upper pressure being driven by the flow limits.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If this were my own chart, I would raise both EPAP min and IPAP min by 1cm h2o each, and then reduce PS to 1.0

Rationale:

I for hypopneas and flow limitation
E for obstructive apneas
Lesser PS to reduce clear airways
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2018, 07:47 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: A quick glance it looks like you had two groups of OA events that look positional.
Thanks Walla;  That would have been my guess nice to have a second opinion.  I think tossing around in my sleep has been a big problem affecting my data all along.
BTW: Thinking of you when I change the avatar Coffee

(03-12-2018, 08:07 PM)bonjour Wrote: I would want to see your sleep report before making recommendations.  Looks like you might have complex or mixed apnea.

Thanks for looking bonjour; Appreciated.

(03-12-2018, 08:19 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Well, you have a fairly even distribution of CA, OA and H.  Your machine is putting out PS2 over 13 to 19 EPAP (15/13 to 21/19), and pressure is mainly responding to flow limitations. My normal suggestions would be positional therapy for the obstructive clusters and higher pressure support to suppress hypopnea and flow limitations, but I can't ignore your past, and that would cause a significant increase in CA.  That leaves me with the positional therapy and perhaps limiting that upper pressure being driven by the flow limits.

SR;  As you said early-on "consistently inconsistent".  I have been quietly lurking as I work on trying to work up acceptable therapy.  Did wring-out the CPAP mode and did a 6-day run at same settings (14.4 cm) but it proved to be an exercise in futility.. roller coaster results:

So decided to go with Auto mode and see if the events could be better addressed with it.  It has been two days now and this one was last night:

[attachment=4879]
Massive improvements over CPAP but expecting the 'consistently inconsistent' factor to rare it's ugly head.  I have settled on the absolute necessity for a FF mask and a c-collar.  The collar makes a world of difference on O/R emergence and length of time (proofed).  Have a Simplus mask arriving in a couple days to hopefully mitigate the nose area irritation.  Going to probably the last appointment with the Doc in a couple days.  Trying to learn enough to resolve the problems without having to have y'all beat a dead horse.  A little guidance now and again is very much appreciated.
Grouphug3

(03-12-2018, 08:25 PM)Matt00926 Wrote: If this were my own chart, I would raise both EPAP min and IPAP min by 1cm h2o each, and then reduce PS to 1.0

Rationale:

I for hypopneas and flow limitation
E for obstructive apneas
Lesser PS to reduce clear airways

Matt; Appreciate the post and information- especially the Rationale (helps me learn).  Will leave it where it is a while to see if it goes nutz or settles down more- as stated above I see the Doc on Thursday, probably the last scheduled appointment.  If the Auto mode goes haywire will try your suggestion, could be the key..

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2018, 08:19 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: ... I can't ignore your past, and that would cause a significant increase in CA.

Same here. Can't really ignore past posts.

If I recall correctly, ASV was not an option? I'm wondering whether any of the "alternative" therapies could be a helpful adjunct to your CPAP/APAP therapy: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3998090/

For example, an oral appliance might help you treat the OAs with lower PAP pressures, and the lower PAP pressures may help your CAs. Other therapeutic approaches which can be helpful in some patients include the use of nonvented masks (not something to try on your own), certain medications (eg, acetazolamide), head of bed elevation, oxygen supplementation, etc.

I don't know where you are located in the US, but the author of that article (Robert Thomas at BIDMC in Boston) seems to have a very thoughtful and comprehensive approach to the treatment of patients with CSA or a mixed picture of CSA and OSA. It may be helpful if you can go see him or someone with a similar approach.
-Amin
Nothing I say on the forum should be taken as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Shin; The article is interesting- Thanks for the link.
In answer to your questions: I am on the West Coast- nowhere near Boston; Not allowed ASV; Not a fan of drugs; Use a c-collar as it has 'proofed' itself; Aware of positional therapy as much as possible- always has to be supine or Quarter-L or Quarter-R; Doc said 'he is not inclined to prescribe o2 to anyone who does not have to have it and my o2 never gets to that point'.  The oral device in conjunction with the Vauto is a consideration I will bring up at my next appointment.

My appointment was moved out a week (by them).  I suspect he will be pleased if I can keep this 'roll' going and under AHI-5 as that was his initial target given my particular case.  SR and Matt gave me their thoughts yesterday for tweeks but they go in opposite directions (SR apparently was more familiar with my quirks).  I just got a Simplus FF mask today to see if it will be more nose-friendly so will not be surprised to see the AHI change.  Probably wise to keep the settings where they are till I get to the Doc to see if they maintain.

Below is the third session at this setting on the Vauto:

[attachment=4906]
Post Reply Post Reply
zzzZorro, Tell me how you like the Simplus after you've had a chance to try it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2018, 07:35 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: zzzZorro, Tell me how you like the Simplus after you've had a chance to try it.

Walla;  I can only speak from about 45 minutes putzing with it and will have to revisit the issue for confirmation.  Could comment at this point 'I do not like it', but that is not my final judgement.  Hung it up and donned the 'ole QuattroAir.   If interested here's a premature elaboration:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Initial thoughts:  I like the different way the cushion is designed at the nose- supposedly to seal better around the eyes.  My nose is apparently more difficult to seal than others as generally overtightening is the norm requirement with all FF masks I have tried. Has nice headgear. Don't know if it is actually my face structure or the IPAP pressures that usually dance around 20cm. 
First impression that put it back in the drawer last night was a small air leakage into the eyes.  Not much but enough to annoy and effect my going to sleep.  Could not specifically tell if it was coming from between the seal and my nose or if it was being deflected back from the seal vents.  Placing a small microfiber eye-glass cloth under the forehead support over the eyes appeared to indicate it was coming back from the vents- but the cloth being there was too annoying left against the eyes.  The forehead brace/support I find to be unfinished as when the forehead band is tightened sufficiently to seal it presses into the forehead, unlike the ResMed Quattros.  Also I'm not sure it passes air to the user quite as well as does the Quattro (percieved air flow)? I know it is mostly liked by others and that is why I wanted to try it.
Zorro
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,283 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Philips 3100NC - No fresh air? lenkh 10 569 11-23-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,190 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
  DreamStation Auto Initial Start-up WilliamZ 3 503 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Should I start CPAP? brianstermat09 3 516 08-24-2023, 04:00 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  [CPAP] Hoping to find a fix for my CPAP's decision to start blasting me while inhaling. Speusippus 1 460 08-14-2023, 07:41 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  How should I start sleep2023 8 902 07-03-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: sleep2023

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.