Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Friend: "Doc refused to prescribe sleep study.."
Friend: "Doc refused to prescribe sleep study.."
An online friend gets quite tired during the day. We discussed apnea and C-PAP  machines, masks, etc.
His doctor refused to prescribe a sleep study, or even approach the questionnaire.

I specifically told him about the questionnaire that seems the mechanism used by docs to score the need for a study. So, no questionnaire, and apparently an insurance query turned down issuing the machine, as, in my view, there is nothing to go by, really.

Why would a doc not even contemplate doing the questionnaire?

Best advice I could give my friend is score C-PAP machine on CL, get basic supplies himself, and learn the ropes here on the forum.

Any other idea?
Note that my own doc looked at thyroid levels, along with prescribing the study.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Friend: "Doc refused to prescribe sleep study.."
By questionnaire, are you referring to the Epworth sleepiness scale questionnaire? Or something else?

https://web.stanford.edu/~dement/epworth.html

This particular one led to misleading results in my case.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't even begin to question the Doctor's response without knowing the Doctor or your friend.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2018, 05:45 PM)Dawnstar Wrote: By questionnaire, are you referring to the Epworth sleepiness scale questionnaire? Or something else?

https://web.stanford.edu/~dement/epworth.html

This particular one led to misleading results in my case.

Yes, that one.
Isn't it pretty standard, and fairly reliable?

I agree that we do not know a lot about the situation, and participants here.
hopefully I will hear more about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The obvious answer is to seek a second of opinion if a patient is concerned with their own well-being or has doubts about the medical advice they are receiving.

It has been my experience that some medical groups contracted with certain insurance companies are incentivized against providing extraordinary care or that the number of tests prescribed is measured and used as a metric in their compensation plan. Definitely an indicator of putting the group's interests above those of the patient.

IMHO, the suggestion to simply purchase and use their own xPAP device is not an optimal one as it can mask serious underlying cardiac, pulmonary, and endocrine systemic issues that are best detected sooner than later. Assuming a competent doctor, a full systemic workup is indicated.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
"Easy Sleep Apnea Test" from Supplier #30

Quote:Convenient: Utilizes two remote physician consultations
Fast: As little as 1 week with expedited shipping
Accurate: High accuracy level: equivalent in effectiveness to facility-based testing
Affordable: Only $399 vs. thousands of dollars for a facility-based sleep test
Post Reply Post Reply
If someone has Insomina, which seems to correlate with Sleep Apnea for reasons that are likely not fully understood, their Epworth scores can be misleadingly low. This happened in my case. I ended up having a second opinion, which confirmed that my OSA was not cured, as my first doctor had assumed.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2018, 05:45 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I wouldn't even begin to question the Doctor's response without knowing the Doctor or your friend.

Then why post about it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2018, 06:31 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 05:45 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I wouldn't even begin to question the Doctor's response without knowing the Doctor or your friend.

Then why post about it?

Why not?

Dont-know
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2018, 06:25 PM)Dawnstar Wrote: If someone has Insomina, which seems to correlate with Sleep Apnea for reasons that are likely not fully understood, their Epworth scores can be misleadingly low. This happened in my case. I ended up having a second opinion, which confirmed that my OSA was not cured, as my first doctor had assumed.

I seriously doubt that doctors are ever supposed to use the Epworth questionnaire to decide whether someone's sleep apnea is treated. (BTW, I don't think it's ever cured, just treated.) The Epworth doohickey is only a mickey-mouse gadget to provide an initial reason for a study. For one thing, it's not any kind of objective measurement. It's entirely subjective. What if the patient doesn't have any idea what he or she is doing while answering the questions? (I don't mean you; I mean in general, with any random patient.)

As far as I know, deciding whether OSA is treated is based on having AHIs consistently under 5, right? Not that that judgment is perfect, but it's a whole lot better than answers on a questionnaire.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 6 77 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 171 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,397 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 370 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 222 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 68 6,286 04-02-2024, 04:13 PM
Last Post: ArcherNeedsSleep
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 386 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.