Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Frightening results
RE: Frightening results
(08-06-2015, 01:45 PM)robotman Wrote: RT says normally the body adjusts in a couple weeks and the central apneas diminish. Now I'm confused.

Hi robotman ,
Did you get a copy yet of the diagnostic sleep study to see if you had any central apneas that night? There's also lots of other info in the results....... # apneas on back/side , o2 desats, heart rate and how it reacts during apneas.....etc.....
Post Reply Post Reply
No, we're trying to book another one. I don't understand all that fancy talk, but the rt said I can't just get the bilevel asv machine because they have to do tests to see if my heart can take it!

It's 2 in the afternoon where I live. I had to take a nap (with the cpap machine) because I slept so bad not using the machine last night, it was making me stupid or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of people have some CA events when adapting to CPAP. No one cures Complex apnea by adapting. This is really ridiculous.

Your health is more important. If I was in your position, I'd be getting a used ASV out of pocket, and let the "system" catch up when it can. The Canadian health care system is awesome when it works, but when it doesn't it's pretty awful! Where is your closest U.S. crossing?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 05:37 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: please consider (until you get the adaptive servo ventilator type, and if you do use the current machine, in the meantime)

I would do the following.
-Stay off my back (since my history was that I stopped breathing on my back), by strapping a backpack, tennis ball, or stuffed animal on your back so it wakes me.
-Reduce the pressure in 1 cm increments until CA subsides. I would then assess how much OA and H that is occurring. If OA is less than about 10 I would stick there. I would assess my sleepiness after a couple of days to see if there was a positive change. (a CPAP pressure under 7 cm will probably not feel comfortable so I would stop there).
-Change mask to a full face mask - some have found that more volume in the mask can make a difference in CA. If I had one at hand I would try it before reducing the pressure portion mentioned above, as pressures seem to need to be somewhat higher for same treatment than with pillows.

QAL

ps. can you post a chart of 5 minutes length from 2:00 to 2:05 on Aug 3 (your Aug 2 night)? Thanks.

I pretty much agree with QAL and Sleeprider, but I would do one thing a little differently. Instead of decreasing by 1 cm increments, I would go to auto mode, and decrease just the bottom limit by 1 cm increments. IOW, a few nights at 11-12, a few more at 10-12, a few more at 9-12, and so on.

This will allow for the machine to raise pressure temporarily if it sees OA or FL events, which will minimize successive events. If you are still getting lots of CA events after doing this, then it makes sense to lower the top limit, assuming the machine does not raise back up to 12 regularly on its own, which is something you can keep tabs on in SleepyHead or equivalent software.

This approach essentially does the same thing (lowers nominal pressure to prevent CA-induced events) without the risk of it causing lots of new OA events or FL events that would not be problematic at a higher pressure, which would be the added risk of simply lowering the fixed pressure. IOW, there is a sweet spot that changes dynamically for most folks, which is what auto is all about addressing, and auto can find that sweet spot and minimize events much better than a fixed pressure can.

Remember that CA events may be somewhat benign if they are caused by the xPAP machine. Just the fact that it is blowing air can fool the respiratory feedback system because moving air gets more O2 into your bloodstream than still air (moving air has more opportunity to present available O2 molecules in physical contact with the cillia), so moving air when not taking a breath may not desat you as quickly as still air and you may not respond by breathing as quickly, which can be flagged as a false event, because rather than being based on how well your lungs are absorbing the O2 that is available it is based on a 10-second clock that makes a blind assumption about how long not breathing will take to cause a desat.

But get the correct machine ASAP. Be highly motivated to do that, but don't let the interim period get you down; I had a ~56 AHI probably for decades before I got therapy, so if that can kill you, it kills you slowly and incrementally. A few more weeks will likely not be all that traumatic to your health. The quicker the better, but don't fret, just get the new machine when you can.
Post Reply Post Reply
Speaking of O2, since you are motivated to figure out what is up here, you are up against an obstacle, and since you may need more ammo to present your case to the docs, you might consider getting an oximeter.

The only real ultimate goal of xPAP is to prevent O2 desat, by either removing and preventing breathing obstructions, forcing a breath, or any of the other clever methods that these machines do. That they prevent micro-arousals and have enormous other benefits are really side issues and side benefits of preventing desat. So a $50 oximeter will at least tell you exactly where you stand, and this is also hard evidence that you can present to your sleep doc to help motivate him, should the numbers be not so great.
Post Reply Post Reply
hi. just a note that you gave 8 minute look around 2:00 on Aug 4th instead of 5 minute look at 2:00 on Aug 3rd. (picking aug 2nd night of sleep). the reason I wanted that short a time on that date was it was before onset of CAs, and 5 minutes or less we can see the contour of the breaths better. if you are game, please re-post.

love the ball in the back, wonder if you used that on your recent crummy non-CPAP night.

of course wondering if ball in the back affects your CA scores.

Smile

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the tennis ball with the cpap machine for the first time last night.

[Image: JMeIGfb.png]

[Image: DXmthVX.png]

There was one event early in the night. The tennis ball thing doesn't work quite as well as I hoped, with the whole shirt shifting around - I woke up with the ball close to under my shoulder, which still allowed me to sleep on my back comfortably if I allowed it. (Plus, the ball smells.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Quasimodo, is that you?
Post Reply Post Reply
I kind of prefer a softer approach to back sleeping like wedging a pillow behind me. I don't have problems with back sleeping when using the BPAP, but the point is to keep me from rolling, not to wake me up.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2015, 10:59 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: Quasimodo, is that you?

lol

(08-07-2015, 11:17 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I kind of prefer a softer approach to back sleeping like wedging a pillow behind me. I don't have problems with back sleeping when using the BPAP, but the point is to keep me from rolling, not to wake me up.

I like to have a pillow in front of me, seems to help with the cpap hose. Having another pillow behind me might be too many pillows. Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSG Results: Could this be UARS? deebob 260 18,371 04-17-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 399 04-16-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 195 04-15-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,541 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Treatment] New to CPAP but keen to learn - Please could you help with results and Q's? JustinWoods 19 1,958 04-10-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help interpreting my results (and hello!) mluck94 4 148 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: mluck94
  Having fluctuating results 3rd week in. Data attached Jscott321 5 212 04-03-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jscott321

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.