Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

From a Full Face Mask to Nasal Pillows
From a Full Face Mask to Nasal Pillows
After being on a CPAP machine for about 5 months, I have successfully made the transition from a full face mask to nasal pillows. Originally I was a mouth breather but wanted to try out the nasal pillows because it seemed less intrusive. It didn't work out so well. I had air leaks off the charts and kept waking up to the noise because I was breathing through my mouth. So I switched to a full face mask and the air leaks went away and I slept very well. During this time period I was consciously trying to breath through my nose during my everyday activities. Whenever I'm working out, running, or just sitting at my desk, I would force and think to myself and breathe through my nose. I would also use a neti pot every night just to clear out my sinuses. A couple of weeks ago, I switched to the nasal pillows and an amazing thing happened... very little air leaks. It was averaging 2l/m and I didn't even wake up once. My AHI is even lower now, .3. Before, it was around .8.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: From a Full Face Mask to Nasal Pillows
Hi hcubed,
It's good to hear that your change back to nasal pillows is going well.
Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Good for you!

(I would love to switch, but suspect I'll need surgery to fix my deviated septum first)
Post Reply Post Reply
WOW! 0.8 and 0.3 on a regular basis! That is excellent! Congratulations on your therapy!
(nah, that's not too many exclamation marks for this!)
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome! Congrats on the great progress!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 12:33 PM)hcubed Wrote: After being on a CPAP machine for about 5 months, I have successfully made the transition from a full face mask to nasal pillows. Originally I was a mouth breather but wanted to try out the nasal pillows because it seemed less intrusive. It didn't work out so well. I had air leaks off the charts and kept waking up to the noise because I was breathing through my mouth. So I switched to a full face mask and the air leaks went away and I slept very well. During this time period I was consciously trying to breath through my nose during my everyday activities. Whenever I'm working out, running, or just sitting at my desk, I would force and think to myself and breathe through my nose. I would also use a neti pot every night just to clear out my sinuses. A couple of weeks ago, I switched to the nasal pillows and an amazing thing happened... very little air leaks. It was averaging 2l/m and I didn't even wake up once. My AHI is even lower now, .3. Before, it was around .8.

Many PAP people have noted - we have 365 sleeps per year - not a year of 365 sleeps. In other words nothing is going to remain the same for you after your switch. You will need to watch for increased leaks showing in Sleepyhead because of what is erroneously called mouth breathing. (actually therapy air escaping via your mouth) This is uncomfortable, unhealthy & bad for your teeth. I have yet to see a chin strap that causes the lower jaw to protrude forward. Most have the opposite effect. The "Parallel law of vectors" shows us that such an effect is impossible. Congratulation on your super low AHI. I hope it stays low and your SDB remains controlled. Good luck!
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 01:04 PM)snowdrop Wrote: Good for you!

(I would love to switch, but suspect I'll need surgery to fix my deviated septum first)

SD-You might want to look at the Nuance pillows mask. I have a severely deviated septum, but I've found I get a good seal with this mask. There is very little of the pillows that enter the nostrils, the seal is formed by the gel shell on the outside of the nostrils.

I don't like how high the straps ride on my face (too close to my eyes), but I am able to get a good seal with what I consider to be very loose straps. Key for me was not to have them tight enough to pull the gel shells into my nostrils.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 12:33 PM)hcubed Wrote: After being on a CPAP machine for about 5 months, I have successfully made the transition from a full face mask to nasal pillows. .....

Congratulations...

My story is almost the same as yours - for those of us where mouth breathing is more of a bad habit than out of necessity the effort to retrain is well worth while.

The thing I had not really noticed until I stopped using the Hybrid mask that I started with was the effect the mask had on my bite. It was pushing my lower jaw out of position - and the mask wasn't even very tight.
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,769 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,226 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,604 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.