Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

From a Newbie to a newbie
From a Newbie to a newbie
I have vacillated between a FFM to Pillows for about 6 weeks, with the majority of the time trying to acclimate to this hybrid Top Gun/scuba mask that leaked into my eyes and jammed plastic into my head.

Tried different things suggested on the board.

I requested pillows from my DME and got them., with 3 different nasal cushion sizes. The first night was horrible, and I woke up with the headgear I had "taken off" at 3am-that landed on the dog bed.

Frustrated, I went back to what I call the Top Gun FFM. I used liners, still leaked, leaks worsened, red marks, too loose, too tight, plastic jams, blah blah...
Pictures of dental devices were running through my head.

Went back for Round 2: pillow version. I had picked up the headgear from waaaay across the room (since I had "taken it off", I'm a bit unsure how it landed in another zipcode). It was hanging there looking deflated and sad. So, I decided to experiment with 2 of the pillow sizes until I figured out that the S was the best for me...

I practiced the tongue suck technique. After 2 nights of failure-lo and behold-night 3 was a success. ( I was very skeptical that it would work and I could pull it off). It did work for me, rather quickly. I attribute this to trusting what I was told and giving it a fair shot before I moved on.

*A normal fair shot is 1 night. 3 fair shots is an anomaly.*

I've been on the pillow success ride now for a few days. My leak rates are down. I even slept last night 9 hours with the thing on, and it remained in the current zipcode all night.

I've come to these conclusions:

1. I listen to these pappers, they have papped much longer than I have and have excellent advice.

2. when in doubt I refer back to 1.

3. there are many, many combinations of therapy techniques and adjustments that are highly personal, and it really boils down to what works for YOU. With that comes the need to be openminded and patient. Patience is not my strong suit.

4. when in doubt I refer back to 1.

Going into this, I never thought pillows would look like the answer for me, but so far it has been. I'm hoping that it will remain so. My fair shot is now >5.

I was geared up last night, looked at my husband and said "can you imagine having the insomnia I have, trying to sleep like this? Huh? Can ya?" He said, "no I can't, and you look like a Snork." (he's 7 years younger and I had to google this one, I was tapping kegs in the woods during the late 80s).

...also... I don't recommend laughing while ramping. It sounds like my Pomeranian when he coughs.

Keep at it, I'm cheering you on as well as myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: From a Newbie to a newbie
Greetings,

LOVE your humor!!

So glad you are hanging in there - the body takes some time to get used to this "stuff" on the head and sometimes, well, stuff just hits the fan.

I had an advantage when I started using my APAP; my hubby had been using his for about 10 yrs before I was diagnosed. So our motto is now: "The family who APAPs together, Stays together!" - or at least, lives longer together.

Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PappinLikeABoss,
Thanks for your post, great sense of humour, keep up the good work through, sometimes, the trial and error of CPAPing.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ladies! Evpraxia=how awesome is it to pap together!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2016, 08:03 PM)PappinLikeABoss Wrote: Hi ladies! Evpraxia=how awesome is it to pap together!!

By the way, I Love the hat on your profile icon!
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2016, 08:13 PM)Evpraxia Wrote:
(04-02-2016, 08:03 PM)PappinLikeABoss Wrote: Hi ladies! Evpraxia=how awesome is it to pap together!!

By the way, I Love the hat on your profile icon!

Thank you, it's my summer on the porch by the pool look. (aka, don't feel like doing my hair)
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum PappinLikeABoss! I also enjoyed your humorous post! Sounds like you are on the right track for sure!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Update on CPAP mask?
Hello Pappin
Enjoyed your posts from some years back and am wondering whether you are still managing well on Swift FX for her - I have just "started" (lasted a max of two hours for two days before ditching it!) on the Resmed Auto 10 for her and am now on my third mask, not seeing any kind of future in this! I am debating the Swift FX mask and wondered how you felt about moving around at night - do both back and side work? Hoping you are still papping well!
Post Reply Post Reply
somnia16 I may have missed it, but I didn't see where the OP used the Swift FX for her. I see in her specs she is using the Swift LT which is different.

I have used the Swift FX. It was good and stayed on well but I have found the P10's to have a much lower leak rate and are just as if not more comfortable. Just my 2cents.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Your'e right! Don't know why I thought otherwise...I see that her last post was some years ago so thought I would check up ... Do you find the P10 good for side sleepers too? I started with Quattro FX (awfully constricting), then Dream wear (v.good for back, bad for side sleeping - what is your experience?), should be getting the Pap tap soon and barring that, I think the P10 will be next. If I don't manage with any of those, I don't know what else I will do (give up...?!). Thanks again for feedback!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 9 24 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 483 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.