Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] side effects
RE: side effects
(08-12-2015, 11:06 AM)iSteph Wrote: Been using a CPAP machine for a month and a half... It went well. But lately I am getting a big case of AEROPHAGIA. I wake up and my belly feels overinflated like a basketball full of air. It is actually hard to bend down because of this air.

You should create a new thread, iSteph - so that people can help you better and are more likely to see what you posted. Aerophagia can be a big issue especially for new cpap'ers
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been doing it wrong.... (nasal spray) this is a good article on how it works!
http://www.fauquierent.net/etd2.htm

Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2015, 01:31 PM)MsFigg Wrote: Have been using nasal mask for about 3 months. I have noticed some dizziness when turning in bed or getting up. Also a change in bowel and bladder habits. Has the cpap anything to do with this?

Hi, MsFigg:

It might be helpful if you describe your dizziness experiences in more detail. The word dizzy is often used to describe a rotating sensation, with either your head or the room starting to spin. That is called vertigo. Other sensations such as light-headedness, imbalance or tilting are not vertigo but may still be described as dizziness. The distinction is important as vertigo and nonvertigo dizziness tend to have entirely different causes and treatments.

As for cpap potentially causing changes in bowel and bladder habits, from my own experience I would say yes to both and to a lot of other changes as well. Before cpap your body may have needed to work pretty hard every night just to survive. With cpap, your nighttime blood oxygen levels are likely significantly higher and your breathing effort a lot less. Also, you are probably achieving a lot more rem-stage sleep which is important for restorative processes in your body. It would be remarkable if you did not notice some changes from all that.

However, you would be well advised to tell your primary care doctor about changes in bowel and bladder habits, etc., because there may be various things that need to be checked.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 409 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 258 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  would it matter if you ran a cpap (without humidifier) on its side?on its side snorin2 8 629 11-19-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  [Equipment] SD card question and mask leak issue when side sleeping KingsIndian 1 431 10-13-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.