Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Frustrated newbie..
RE: Frustrated newbie..
Thanks guys for all the great feedback and information. I have an appointment tomorrow at 10:20am with my sleep clinic and will hopefully be walking out with prescription in hand. I have found a local DME that has a 30 day return policy on all their masks and the guy I talked to about it on the phone sounded super helpful. I mentioned the F&P Opus 360 mask to him because I had seen it online. He doesn't have it because it's an older mask but says he has lots of other nose pillow options which he believes are even better. Worst case scenario, I get to try something different and if I'm still not happy I will order online.

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Amy

You've received some good advice already. Just to expand on a couple of things from your original post...

The F&P machines have a built-in humidifier, which is why they don't have a separate model number. Most other brands have a separate humidifier which attaches to the blower unit, such as the Resmed H5i.

Water coming through the mask is called rainout and can be caused by setting the humidity too high or having a cold ambient temperature which causes the humidity to condense in the hose. Most manufacturers (including F&P) have a heated hose option to overcome this. Alternatively you can buy (or make) a sleeve to go over the hose to keep it warm, or else just tuck it under the blankets, if it will reach. The other thing to try is to put the machine at a lower level so that any condensation will run back down the hose to the humidifier instead of into your mask.

If you're having trouble breathing with the mask on (and your pressure is at 14) the trouble may be that the pressure is too high to exhale against. From looking at the brochure on-line, it seems like the Novo has limited options for exhalation pressure relief - this may be something to consider. The machine senses when you exhale and reduces the pressure until you're ready to inhale again.

Lastly, the pressure number is measure in centimetres of water. So if your pressure is 14, it's the same as you'd get if your face was under 14 cm of water in the pool - not really very much at all.

Hope this helps - good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2014, 08:58 AM)Yveylise Wrote: Hello all!

I've had my CPAP machine since Feb 2013 and I have to say, it's been a huge frustration. I honestly have not used it completely through the night a single time. When I try, I wake up even more exhausted than when I went to sleep.

I've got my stats in my profile here so you can see what I'm using. My machine does have a humidifier but I have no idea what kind..I'll try to sort that out.

Here are my current issues..

1. The mask is uncomfortable. I don't know whose genius idea it was to put stiff plastic across the forehead but it actually really hurts. The nose masks rests on my upper lip. And to avoid any air leaking out from around my nose I have to tighten the straps to the point where it's unbearable. I'm primarily a side sleeper as well and this mask makes me feel like I'm stuck sleeping on my back. I wake up stiff because I haven't been able to move.

2. I've been waking up gasping for air. Occasionally through the night I'll feel like sort of popping sensation back behind my nose. I have no idea if I've become a mouth breather in the past year or not. Sometimes I can go back to sleep but eventually it makes me feel like I'm not getting good airflow and I find myself ripping the mask off my face. Maybe it's a matter of incorrect pressure? I was told I was a 14 (out of what, I don't know) a year ago. My sleep study showed activity 46-48 times an hour.

3. I've had water run down my nose more times than I can count.

4. Did I mention I was frustrated? Smile

Any help or advice you have is welcome. I'm at my wits end and so is my husband. He's tired of sleeping on the couch. I've email apneaboard to get a copy of my user manual but I honestly don't know what I'll do with the machine once I get it. I also noticed some of you use sleep monitoring software. Can anyone recommend a program that works with my model?

Thanks!

Amy

Sorry ur having a tough time. I can sympathize since I had a rough start too. Here are some things that helped me. First get a comfortable mask. I could not use a nasal mask because it just didn't fit right, was uncomfortable and was dislodged several times a night. I went to pillows and they work great. I use an Airfit P10 but the Swift FX worked well too. Second, I switched to an Apap machine. I think my nightly therapy requirements change often and the Apap adjusts automatically to my needs. Third, I use Sleepyhead software to track my nightly data. It has helped me make starting parameter changes to my machine so that I am comfortable falling asleep. Finally, I got a heated hose to do away with rainouts. Also, repositioning the hose and machine so that water in the hose drains back to the humidifier. I now sleep through most nights and my AHIs have been reduced from 28 to less then 1. Keep trying and good luck. It's really worth it if u can get the therapy working.
Post Reply Post Reply
UK2vegas and others:

I split off your posts and the replies and put them in your own thread. That way you can get the help you need and Amy can get the help she needs and the two of you won't get confused and neither will the people helping.

You can find your new thread here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ted-newbie
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 483 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.