Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Frustrated, ready to quit
Angry 
Frustrated, ready to quit
Sorry to sound like a whiny crab, but I'm tired, very tired.

I was diagnosed with severe apnea about 3 months ago. Went to DME provider with script in hand. Came home with ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, Respironics Nasal Wisp, Heated tube, etc.

I had trouble initially due to my mouth opening during the night. Back to the DME. Came home with ResMed AirFit F10.

This was a little better, but as pressure increased, leakage was highly disturbing to sleep. Gotta love waking up to "farting" noises around your eyes 5 times a night. Couldn't stick with that. Took a few days off to think/research.

Went back to Wisp adding Chin-up adhesive strips to keep my jaw closed. Things went much better as evidenced by much lower AHIs, less large leaks.

Over time, despite washing regularly, and replacing monthly, the Wisp has been leaking into my eyes. Very disturbing.

Went BACK to DME. Came home with ResMed Swift FX Nano nasal mask. TOTAL DISASTER! Cannot get that thing to NOT leak even sitting up.

Every time I need to try something different, it takes days to get in touch with DME (Apria) because their branches hide behind a phone center, then more days to get an appointment, then hours driving to/from the appt and keeping the appt.

I just don't know what to try and I'm ready to quit.

My pressure generally runs between 9 and 14 with the 90% being 13.2 over last 30 days. The nasal masks leakage (both Wisp and even more Swift FX) seem to be at the bridge of the nose.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Thanks so much for reading this far, if you have. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Frustrated, ready to quit
(06-02-2015, 03:04 PM)cfischer69 Wrote: Sorry to sound like a whiny crab, but I'm tired, very tired.

I was diagnosed with severe apnea about 3 months ago. Went to DME provider with script in hand. Came home with ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, Respironics Nasal Wisp, Heated tube, etc.

I had trouble initially due to my mouth opening during the night. Back to the DME. Came home with ResMed AirFit F10.

This was a little better, but as pressure increased, leakage was highly disturbing to sleep. Gotta love waking up to "farting" noises around your eyes 5 times a night. Couldn't stick with that. Took a few days off to think/research.

Went back to Wisp adding Chin-up adhesive strips to keep my jaw closed. Things went much better as evidenced by much lower AHIs, less large leaks.

I like the Wisp. Very comfortable IMO. Internal leakage is making me look elsewhere
Over time, despite washing regularly, and replacing monthly, the Wisp has been leaking into my eyes. Very disturbing.

Went BACK to DME. Came home with ResMed Swift FX Nano nasal mask. TOTAL DISASTER! Cannot get that thing to NOT leak even sitting up.

Every time I need to try something different, it takes days to get in touch with DME (Apria) because their branches hide behind a phone center, then more days to get an appointment, then hours driving to/from the appt and keeping the appt.

I just don't know what to try and I'm ready to quit.

My pressure generally runs between 9 and 14 with the 90% being 13.2 over last 30 days. The nasal masks leakage (both Wisp and even more Swift FX) seem to be at the bridge of the nose.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Thanks so much for reading this far, if you have. Smile

Welcome aboard.
I like the Wisp as it is very comfortable. You can get a variety of pads to help with the node bridge prob. Look at the online providers section top o the page. Don't give up I know exactly how you feel - check my sig line but after 30 days I feel much better than I have in years.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
I also have the Wisp. I must say it might have taken me about a year to get comfortable. I would go up and down. The thing for me to remember is to wash my face every night. This gives me a good seal.
Ron
Post Reply Post Reply
If you like the pillows but have issues with mouth breathing take a look at the Mirage Liberty. It's kind of a hybrid. It's not for everyone but I really like it. I don't need yet another strap around my head (ie chin strap). Oh and I have to tell ya, these straps do not work well with sunburn. Annoyed-and-disappointed
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cfischer69,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time with CPAP therapy. The mask can be the most difficult part of the whole thing but there are so many masks out there. I encourage you to stick with it and keep trying as many masks as you need 'til you find one that works for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and don't give up.
Much success to you and good luck finding a mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask issue does seem to be a major one, I have struggled with the P10, have modified the straps and am getting a cushion for it, also the Mirage nasal mask, great mask, but leaks and blisters, also getting a liner for that...so I guess I am suggesting trying some kind of cushion, there is a vendor in the States who makes all kinds of cushions and pads for masks, I am giving it a shot, sounds like you might want to try that too...

Due to forum rules I cant post the link so I have pm'd you the link...

good luck, don't give up....

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
I sympathize ... my early days were also a bit horrific. Assigned CPAP and didn't tolerate the pressure at all. But I was lucky - they at least got me started with a comfy mask. As time went on, and I graduated to APAP, changed DME's, and was given a bad mask.

I then tried all sorts of things mask-wise. Pillows this, pillows that, mask this, mask that. In the end I found a vendor that sold my original mask, the Ultra Mirage. I think it is now an Ultra Mirage II. Big, bulky, but somehow comfortable, and one of the most silent masks I have used.

One trick that helped every mask I have used is to do an intentional hose routing - make sure the hose leaves the bed just above your head. I even strap the hose to the mask so it points up between my eyes, and have a swivel at head level so my twists and turns don't kink the hose and pop it loose (major leak).

It was a struggle at first, but today I can't sleep without a machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 624 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 821 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,085 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  New CPAP user here. Ready to learn. Please advise how I can improve! Sleepyman12 4 501 12-13-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,363 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  ASV, N20, EERS?, How I quit mouth tape. Rich66 0 476 10-01-2023, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Rich66
  [Symptoms] Quit Nicotine and AHI and CA are worse ApneaND 0 260 09-23-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: ApneaND

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.