Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Frustrated with DME
Frustrated with DME
How frustrations! I received a follow up call from my DME to see how I am doing with my new replacement machine. Resmed s9 auto set. I told her about my apnea event that woke me up yesterday. She said I might need an adjustment in my pressure. I asked why the auto set did not take care of that........well my machine is not set to AUTO!!! It is set with a straight pressure of 8. So why don't we set it to auto? Isn't that the purpose of the auto set machine? Can't do it with out the doctors OK.

Problem is, I leave for Colorado in the morning and I can not reach my doctor. Could I set the auto pressure by myself?isnt that the purpose of the auto set machine?

I am not new to cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Frustrated with DME
It's always best to keep your doctor involved, but it sounds like you already tried that. The instructions for setting it are at http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup and you may also want to request a clinician's manual. Do what you have to, but wait a week or two to adjust to the new setting before making any more adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am having the same problem with my DME and Dr office. The receptionist doesn't know the difference between auto and non-auto, but she seems intent on running my care. I am supposed to get a call back from the nurse practitioner, but I'm not sure she was even given the message. (I turned on the auto myself anyway)
Post Reply Post Reply
The doctors office decided to email the doctor and will get back to me. In the mean time I did go view the video so I know how to set the machine to auto set. I am just not sure what start pressure and stop pressure to use. That is what the doctor is calling back about. Hope it is before tomorrow.
You are all very helpful!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes you can... But while you're changing your environment by traveling to Colorado might not be the best time to do this. Basically try to make whatever changes you do when the rest of your world is rather settled. Change one thing at a time, and evaluate the results.

Now recognize that having said that I probably would ignore my own advice and go crazy go nutz with the machine. In this case if it were my machine and I was running with a cpap of 8, I would probably start auto with a low pressure of 6 and a high of 12. That would give it plenty of wiggle room while I evaluated the results for a few days.

P.S. When you get to Colorado, say "hi" to my kid....... Tall kid, dark hair?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2014, 10:38 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Yes you can... But while you're changing your environment by traveling to Colorado might not be the best time to do this. Basically try to make whatever changes you do when the rest of your world is rather settled. Change one thing at a time, and evaluate the results.

Now recognize that having said that I probably would ignore my own advice and go crazy go nutz with the machine. In this case if it were my machine and I was running with a cpap of 8, I would probably start auto with a low pressure of 6 and a high of 12. That would give it plenty of wiggle room while I evaluated the results for a few days.

P.S. When you get to Colorado, say "hi" to my kid....... Tall kid, dark hair?

I will be on the look out for him!

I most likely just adjust like I did prior to getting this new machine. I will play around with the auto set when I get back to sea level.

I love it when the DME tells me the machines all automatically adjust to altitude. The elite 8 never did. My AHI would go from the 2 range at sea level to 15,20 and even as high as27. I don't do well at altitude and have never gotten my AHI under 9. I had to adjust (with doctors ok) the constant pressure. Should be an interesting first night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, you'll find a lot of folks have "interesting" stories to tell about their DME experiences. My previous DME had one line that they used almost exclusively. I really had to push to try something else and my wife has had here eyes opened as we've tried different lines of product and had some adjustments done so that "good enough" (i.e. AHI<5, compliant XX% of the time) is replaced by "best for me" (best nights of sleep ever and wanting to use my CPAP all the time).

I think you're on the right track, Webbie, in wanting to have a more active role in your treatment. Keep your doc in the loop and let any changes have some time so you can see how they do (a "normal" base...i.e. not travelling....is probably best to work from). Also, you'll probably want to use something like Sleepyhead to monitor how you do with the changes.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am pleased with my doctor. She just called back and helped me. Thanks to this forum and the links I was able to adjust my machine to the pressures she suggested.
Now to see how it works.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Frustrated with DME update
After my conversation with my doctor I adjusted my machine according to her specifications......went to sleep.

Set the machine on auto mode with pressure 8-14. This morning's read out said pressure was 12, yikes isn't that a big difference? I only woke up once all night, an improvement.

Now tonight will be the big test. I will be sleeping at 6,800 ft above sea level.

Thank you all who supported me and helped me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have a nice trip Webbie.. Are you having lunch with Payton Manning? If so, make sure he pays. He's got the bucks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,363 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  [CPAP] Lots of issues, getting very frustrated. Help? fuccrat 0 393 05-05-2023, 12:17 AM
Last Post: fuccrat
  UPPP Surgery worsening daytime breathing, very frustrated yanix 0 965 08-30-2022, 02:50 AM
Last Post: yanix
  Really Frustrated, Confused & Tired Cammy 1 646 10-01-2021, 12:07 PM
Last Post: SleepyCPAP
  Frustrated, Cannot get AHI Down After 2 Weeks asuter060514 29 2,492 06-22-2021, 05:17 PM
Last Post: asuter060514

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.