Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Frustration and On or Off? Heated tube humidification?
Frustration and On or Off? Heated tube humidification?
I took my SD card out for the first time to try and download to Sleepyhead (unsuccessful). I locked the card to put in my laptop, and then unlocked it when I put it back in my machine.

The next morning I noticed that NO water was gone from the tank, it is usually almost empty as my setting is at 4.

The heat plate under the water tank does heat up, I tested it.

Would taking the card out change the settings?

As I'm scrolling through the setup menu, I noticed there was one that said "HEATED TUBE HUMIDIFICATION" and it was set to off. Is that something that should be on?

No one ever explained the machine's settings to me. I did google to find out how to read my AHI, which hovers around 5.

The other night my Periodic Breathing was at 9% after only an hour on cpap.....not sure what's going on, but I'm not sleeping well, waking up frequently and have RECURRENT aches, mucus in chest, cough, etc.

I've had 2 sleep studies, the original, which I barely slept........and then one after all the Periodic Breathing stats came in.....but didn't show many Central events.

I have a Philips Respironics System One on Auto Flex......does anyone know if the "Heated Tube Humidification" should be turned to on? Or what would have caused my water tank to NOT lose water for the first time ever (been on cpap since May)

Not sure if all my mucus and cough is due to asthma, reflux, or what. Doctors don't seem to care....as long as I'm in compliance using cpap, they don't care about the rest. Frustrated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Frustration and On or Off? Heated tube humidification?
Hi Daisylouu, I've moved your post to the main forum as most of the issues you raise aren't related to software.

To the best of my knowledge, SleepyHead does not write anything to your SD card and consequently can't change your settings. The Resmed software ResScan CAN change your settings (that's the "official" way to do it) but I don't know if the same applies for Philips Respironics machines. Just removing the card from the machine shouldn't have any effect on settings.

Having said that, these things are essentially a combination of computer and air pump. Computers occasionally suffer glitches and come up with unexpected results. It's possible that you had a random glitch which turned off the humidifier. More likely there was some sequence of events which triggered it , such as installing or removing the hose while the machine was booting up, or maybe not locking down the humidifier lid properly. Or just possibly (as I have done) changed a setting when looking for something else.

The humidifier is a comfort feature designed to provide warmth and moisture to the air you breathe in. Adjust the settings to suit your own preference, but yes the humidifier should be on if you want warm, moist air.

The mucus and coughs are likely something you would have had anyway, and not caused by the machine. Try some over the counter cough medicine and see if that helps (my resident nurse, also known as SWMBO, says it doesn't work). If it persists maybe see your GP rather than the sleep doctor.

Post Reply Post Reply
Isn't "Heated Tube Humidification" directed at an optional heated tube for the system?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2015, 09:27 PM)justMongo Wrote: Isn't "Heated Tube Humidification" directed at an optional heated tube for the system?

That's what I was wondering. I don't want to turn it on and then not have the right hose. Nothing in the manual and nothing online. I've watched so many youtube videos of this model cpap and they don't even show it as a menu option. I'll just try again tonight and if water isn't used I'll take it in to be checked. It can't hurt to use it if humidifier broken can it? I did hear 3 small beeps when I woke up....I thought tank was empty but was shocked to see it completely full.

Spent 2 hours trying to get Sleepyhead to work. Seems simple enough, downloaded it, stuck in scan disk, click import.....get small window open with nothing in it and it just sits there. Ugh
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2015, 10:52 PM)Daisylouu Wrote: That's what I was wondering. I don't want to turn it on and then not have the right hose. Nothing in the manual and nothing online. I've watched so many youtube videos of this model cpap and they don't even show it as a menu option. I'll just try again tonight and if water isn't used I'll take it in to be checked. It can't hurt to use it if humidifier broken can it? I did hear 3 small beeps when I woke up....I thought tank was empty but was shocked to see it completely full.
I did see some images online of a heated hose I believe is for your unit. I could not link to them because they were on a DME website. Usually, menus gray out an option that's not available. The beeps are possibly a clue that something is amiss. I don't think it would be a problem to run it with a non functioning humidifier.

Spent 2 hours trying to get Sleepyhead to work. Seems simple enough, downloaded it, stuck in scan disk, click import.....get small window open with nothing in it and it just sits there. Ugh

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Series sixty auto aflex. It can come with the heated tube humidifier or not.
If it is the heated tube compatible humidifier there will be a small plug on the humidifier hose nossle.
And it will have a 80 watt power brick.
You dont say if you have the heated tube or not. If it is it will have a hard plastc end on one end. If not itll just have the rubber cuffs on both ends.

If you do have the heated tube it will automatically set itsel to heated tube mode and 15 mm tube, unless whoever set machine up specifically set it not too.

If no heated tube theres no reason to turn that on.
Im guessing you have a heated tube . I dont think that will show up in the menu if you dont.

And yes whoever set the machine up coukd have turned the tube off with the SD card.
Any setting could be changed and stay changed but if you take the card out then put it back in, it will revert to the prescription on the card.
Easiest way to tell is take card out. Put card back in.
If there is a prescription on the card in a moment the machine will show a brief message thats says " prescription accepted."
You would need Encore to take the prescription settings off the card or just format the card and start over.
Water use will vary alot, depending on how much humidity is in the room any given night.

I reread your post. If you have the heated tube its never been on. You said your setting is 4.
Thats not possible in heated tube mode.
The settings in heated tube are 1 2 3. And do not set with the dial knob. In heated tube the knob sets tube temp.

Also heated tube mode the humidifier icon, the little lighted waves will be orange.
In PRS1 humidity mode which you are running they are blue.

You may have the heated tube but its never been turned on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Ghost1958! Reading your post, I do not have a heated tube, just regular cuffs at each end. So I guess its safe to keep it off.

Another twist in my bizarre story, is that I changed everything, new tubing and new headgear etc and my numbers when from ahi of 5-6 to .9. I really hate this whole thing. I feel so stupid compared to everyone who posts here.

Started off go good,adapted to my mask and cpap so quickly, just didn't get the numbers I wanted, nor help from medical personnel.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep if no heated tube just leave it in system one humidity mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
Daisylouu don't feel bad. We've all been there. I'm definitely learning more and more every day by reading post after post.

Glad to hear your AHI has improved with the new equipment!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
We were all new here once...........

You will catch on. I just switched July of this year from a machine with no usable data output to a machine that does everything but wake you at night and send you to the bathroom. It was OVERWHELMING to say the least.

Your situation/machine is out of my realm, but I'm an expert on Large Leaks! (not the bathroom kind either).

1st I couldn't even spell ADVISORY MEMBER, now I ARE one! (Go figure)?

Be patient, and Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 109 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 474 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 952 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Humidification Issue With Air Mini ICS55 15 5,271 02-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pwnorris
  Q-tube View 0 195 02-04-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: View

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.