Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask
Full Face Mask
I'm currently using the P10 pillow mask with chin strap and cervical collar.. I get good results with this setup, but want a backup mask if/when I get a cold or nasal congestion.
I've tried the F30 mask and get too many leaks and would like to find a mask that covers the nose rather than sitting under the nose.
I'm a side sleeper and mouth breather.
any suggestions on which mask would be the best for leakage?

thanks
charlie
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face Mask
P10.
It is hard but force your breathing with the P10 when congested, especially if the common decongestants are not working. You will feel it will never work. For me it has always works, though I often have serious doubts. At about 15 minutes the pressure breaks through the congestion and I am clear for the remainder of the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks.. I'll certainly try it..
I do know that when I have some congestion ( allergies ), cpap nasal sometimes works like you describe. Other times a shot of Afrin does the trick ( but rarely use Afrin and when I do, no more than two days in a row).

also some nights, I increase the pressure from 9.6 to 10.6 and that helps ( but increases the leak rate)
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F20. It takes a little getting used to /wearing in so can be uncomfortable for a little while. The F10 is more comfortable (softer gel) but leaks more.
Post Reply Post Reply
For my congestion, I take NAC 1800mg once daily in the morning. When I take it, I'm clear. When I stop, I'm congested. So I take it. :-) I usually buy online from Life Extension. NOW Foods is also good but more expensive. Over the years, I've tried quite a few other brands and most are not effective.
Post Reply Post Reply
ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

do you take the NAC every day  regardless of congestion, or only on 'special days'?

and do you take 600 mg 3 times/day for a total of 1800 or all at one time?

I ordered from LE as you recommended .. will be here in 3-4 days

I used to take it about 15 years ago when racing mountain bikes.. took a bunch of different performance supplements in those days ... 

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2022, 02:54 PM)cberistain Wrote: ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

do you take the NAC every day  regardless of congestion, or only on 'special days'?

and do you take 600 mg 3 times/day for a total of 1800 or all at one time?

I ordered from LE as you recommended .. will be here in 3-4 days

I used to take it about 15 years ago when racing mountain bikes.. took a bunch of different performance supplements in those days ... 

thanks

Currently, I take NAC every day. My experience is that if I stop, I'm congested within about 36 hours, at which point I resume NAC and clear up. So after multiple experiences of that happening, I now just take it daily.

I find it most effective to take the full dose all at once. If I take the same dose spread out through the day, it seems to be less effective. Possibly the lower dose is metabolized before having an effect, while taking it all at once, more has an effect before being metabolized.

I take it in the morning as it seems to be mildly stimulating. I haven't seen stimulation mentioned in any of the literature, so N=1. :-) I'm not sure why the slight stimulation but my best guess is increased oxygen due to reduced congestion. I breathe through my nose, but have extra small sinuses, so every little bit of congestion makes a noticible difference.

Once every few months, I drop to 1200mg daily, to see if I can reduce my dose. Thus far, I've always returned to 1800mg daily. On special days (such as days with poor air quality or maybe if I'm fighting a cold) I might increase to 2400mg or 3000mg.

I hope it helps!
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks. appreciate the information
Post Reply Post Reply
I've seasonal allergies and the occasional head cold. In 7 years of use, the P10 has always been able to blast through congestion. It may take a few minutes but it always succeeds for me. I bought a RESMED Quattro FFM years ago, as a backup just in case I was too stuffed up; I still haven't used it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Dreamwear FFM and get almost no leaks. I have only been using my machine for 3 months, so I don't have any other masks to compare it to but I am happy with it. I am also a side sleeper.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.