Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask & Cervical Collar?
Full Face Mask & Cervical Collar?
Mouth breather here so i have been using full face masks but with issues. My pressures are 19/13 and have been trying the Amara View, Resmed Airtouch F20, Airfit F20 and just ordered the Dreamwear nasal cushion...also tried the cloth full face mask (Cercadience?).

I have damaged the bridge of my nose and the Gum lines in my mouth trying to get a good seal....only doing so on rare occasions. In preparation for trying the Dreamwear nasal i have
been looking into a cervical collar. Then it dawned on me to ask if using such a device might be beneficial when using a FF mask assuming i won't have to tighten the straps to the point
where i cause facial damage all while improving my seal?

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face Mask & Cervical Collar?
On a full face mask the collar can help with positional blockage of the airway as well as keeping the jaw closed so the mask doesn't slip and leak.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, going to give it a try. Right now i'm just alternating face pain location and only consistent with bad/large leaks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2017, 11:10 AM)matusl Wrote: ... assuming i won't have to tighten the straps to the point where i cause facial damage all while improving my seal?

You are doing it wrong.  Tighter past a point results in worse seals, not better.  If it is tight enough to be at all uncomfortable, it is way, way too tight.  The seals work by inflating against your face.  If the straps are too tight, they can't inflate properly.  See Bonjour's Mask Primer.  Basically, start with them just tight enough to keep the mask from falling off your face and then tighten them in very small steps to stop leaking.  Ensure that you face and the mask seals are free from any oil.
Post Reply Post Reply
Understand and thanks.....that what i was alluding to. The cervical collar should allow a looser fit by keeping my chin from sliding too far and thus requiring less
strap pressure to keep the mask in place.  Bought one today and did a test fit.....mask seal test liked it so i'll see how it works tonight!
Post Reply Post Reply
The dreamwear is not the best mask for leaks. It's nutoriously leaky and loud.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep study showed central, not obstructive apnea.  I was put on CPAP and found to have a LOT of obstructive apnea and I felt it was the strap on the FFM and the only way to keep it from leaking was to tighten the strap.   I tried a cervical collar and my obstructive apnea went to zero, I'm happy with the collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2017, 05:38 PM)dracus Wrote: The dreamwear is not the best mask for leaks. It's nutoriously leaky and loud.

Hate to hear that....read good reviews on another board but more wishful hoping on my part i'm sure.
I'll know soon enough how it works for me...Thanks.

(11-24-2017, 06:34 PM)Hojo Wrote: My sleep study showed central, not obstructive apnea.  I was put on CPAP and found to have a LOT of obstructive apnea and I felt it was the strap on the FFM and the only way to keep it from leaking was to tighten the strap.   I tried a cervical collar and my obstructive apnea went to zero, I'm happy with the collar.

Tried the collar with the cloth mask last night. Takes some getting used to but data did not improve....going to try another mask collar combo...
Post Reply Post Reply
Happy to report a very good trend with cervical collar use. My seal data has improved each night with CC use and now i'm getting the green smiley face in the morning!
The CC was the only variable to change in the equation. I also have not sustained any new facial damage and the general soreness is diminishing. I'm very pleased with the results of the combination of FF and CC. Have not received the Dreamwear yet but i'm hoping that i can solve the mouth breathing issue when it's used?

I would personally suggest trying a CC with a full face mask if mask seal or injuries are an issue. It's a cheap solution and yes, you can reduce strap tension and get a better seal results with the use of a CC. Best of luck to all.....stick with the process!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2017, 05:38 PM)dracus Wrote: The dreamwear is not the best mask for leaks. It's nutoriously leaky and loud.
My Dreamwear Cushion is the most comfortable mask with least leaks I’ve tried.  My results are minimal leaks (not talking about mouth leaks) for me compared to N20, F20 and Amara View.

Your mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 226 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,612 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 551 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 400 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 427 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.