Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask Fit with Facial Hair?
RE: Full Face Mask Fit with Facial Hair?
(07-27-2020, 11:28 AM)dreamstream Wrote: Think the difference here is that this isn't just congestion. This is allergies causing congestion, meaning that even when I 'force' a clear nasal airway, and always use a Hepa filter in my machine, changing it every 3-4 weeks, new allergens are being introduced into my airway via air through the machine and that is keeping my system inflamed and in reaction. It is certainly better for me to breath through the machine, when I can get myself breathing, but during the 2-3 cycles of allergies that I experience each year, every other night is a battle to breath because I'm in an allergic state all day/night. At least that is what I am experiencing.

Hi Dreamstream,

I used to have allergies too, so I know they can be nasty and debilitating, they ruled me for many years! They are an autoimmune response and many times can be fixed by eating well (no preservatives, no prepared foods, less pesticides, no processed flour, significantly reduced sugar, no unnecessary meds (especially antibiotics), and eating a proper diet (balanced without high carb foods without nutritional value, etc). When I committed to the (lifestyle) change in lifestyle about 3 years ago the very first undesirable autoimmune response that went away was ALL MY ALLERGIES. It was like a gift from the heavens! I have a few lingering traces of allergies left, but they don't plague me like they did before the change. As the Functional Medicine people say, food is the best medicine. If you're interesting in learning about the commitment/change of lifestyle, I'll be happy to PM you.

W1ABA
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2020, 11:34 PM)dreamstream Wrote: Would appreciate some recommendations on which particular, if any full face masks that might work well for men with a narrow face and facial hair.
Hi Dreamstream,
I am a frequent mouth-breather, so I started with and continue to use a FFM.  I also have facial hair.  I started with a Resmed Mirage Quattro, but it didn't seal well, very fiddly.  I switched to a F&P Simplus more than 6 years ago, and am very happy with it.  My usual leak stats have the 95% leak in single digits, and if it goes above that, I know it is time to trim the beard.  I should also mention that I use Remzzz mask liners with the Simplus.  They seem to improve the seal,  and diffuse any small leaks around my eyes.

When I switched to the Simplus, I used Supplier #26, as they had a very liberal return policy:  return for exchange for any reason within 30 days, as many times as needed.  I think their return policy is still similar now.

Good luck with your hunt.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
The F30 helped me transition to a P30i, but I’ve reluctantly accepted that I just can’t wear any mask that covers my mouth or nose. That only leaves the various under-nose styles.

If it covers my mouth, with or without a beard, I will be awakened by severe leaks when I enter REM and my facial muscles relax. That’s not very restful. Losing a lot of weight, narrowing my face, made it worse.

If it covers my nose, it guarantees that my nose WILL close off.

Under-nose masks such as the P30i help a lot with opening the sinuses. At first, it was still a struggle, but I found if I could get the sinuses open, CPAP would keep them open. I used saline spray, a Neti-pot, nasal steroids, and capsaicin nasal spray (Capsinol is potent and effective choice) to get them open.

I only use Afrin if all else fails, and then only for one night. The rebound is brutal. If I use Afrin one night, severe congestion will set in the following evening. Wicked stuff!!!

Here’s the thing: it was really tough at first, because my sinuses were awful, but I also didn’t sleep well mouth-breathing. Once I committed to nose-breathing no matter what, I found that CPAP worked like a compression sock for my sinuses. Over time, they started getting better during the day too.

After losing weight, I started having trouble with mouth leaks. I tried very hard to make a face or hybrid mask work. I think the F30i was the best of the bunch. It is comfortable and seals well - until I enter REM. I couldn’t get a decent seal with the Dreamwear FFM even clean shaven and awake.

So, I’m back to under-nose and taping.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never found facial hair to be a significant issue with face masks. If anything, it helped. The slight leak through the beard was manageable by the machine, and far better than mask farts.

I do think the F&P Vitera is pretty good. It is a redesigned version of the Simplus. The projection to your forehead doesn’t actually touch your forehead. It just provides some leverage for the upper straps to stabilize the masks.

The F20 is an ever-popular choice. A mask liner helped some, but it may or may not be an improvement with a beard. I like the royal blue RespLabs version with elastic. The padacheek liner is also popular. The gauzier ones leak too much in my opinion.

Some like the memory foam on the F20 AirTouch version, but it rolled under badly for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote pid='359963' dateline='1595897687']
 capsaicin nasal spray
[/quote]

WOW, I recognized Capsaicin as the active ingredient in hot peppers. If given a choice, I would definitely use an all natural nasal spray rather than a pharmaceutical med such as Afrin.

It can be made at home, as needed, quick and simple! Internet resources explain how to make it!

I just checked my Afrin bottle, it expired in 2016!!!! I probably won't be buying a replacement Afrin spray anytime soon!

If anyone does decide to experiment, I suggest you buy organic pepper rather than getting it with chemical additives.

TY for the tip, I wish I had heard about Capsaicin based nasal spray years ago!

W1ABA
Post Reply Post Reply
The Capsinol Original Formula has a potent dose of capsaicin, along with rosemary, sage, eucalyptus, sea salt, and few other things. It is about right for me. There’s a pretty good burn for a moment, but it fades very quickly, much faster than it fades on your tongue. There is a milder formula, but I don’t know what it’s called.

Xlear Max (unlike regular Xlear) also has capsaicin, but it is much weaker.

I prefer the Capsinol. My wife prefers the Xlear Max.

I don’t use the Capsinol very often now, since under-nose CPAP has helped my sinuses so much, but when I need it, it works fast.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 594 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 168 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.