Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask Fit with Facial Hair?
Full Face Mask Fit with Facial Hair?
Would appreciate some recommendations on which particular, if any full face masks that might work well for men with a narrow face and facial hair.

My every day mask is a DreamWear Nasal mask which works really, really well when I'm not also struggling allergies and allergy related congestion which I am often.

I've tried the DreamWear Full-face mask but just could not get it to fit. So there it sits in my closet, tried on, never used, not returnable.

After watching numerous review videos, the fit issue could be that the DreamWear pillow sits wider than the ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask which seems to flex a little more and *might* fit better on a narrower face like mine BUT I also have a goatee, it's a short-hair version, I am rather attached to the damn thing not sure it's even worth me trying another full-face mask because I have facial hair.

Is it worth the $200+ CAD experiment to try and another full-face, in this case the ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask which sounds like it might fit my face better but is there any hope for a guy with facial hair to get a good full-face mask fit to use during allergy season?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face Mask Fit with Facial Hair?
I used to profess that everyone should have a fullface mask to use on those inevitable nights when you are fully stuffed up. My current such mask is the amara view and yes. That's me in the avatar with it. Enough facial hair for you.

My everyday mask is the ResMed P10 pillow mask. And that is what I use when I am congested. Physics wins everytime. Pressure, given time, always finds a way through. You will swear that I'm crazy, and likely just swear at me for even making the suggestion, but it has never failed me.
Force a breath through, it will take time, you will mouth breathe, after all you do need air. Just give it more time, you will say I'm certifiable, and repeat that I'm crazy, you will say this will never work, I know that I do and would say that. Take a breathe and try again. You will curse at me again, but eventually the breakthrough occurs and you are good for the rest of the night. It has taken me up to 15 minutes of trying but the result is be[er than a ffm for the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to agree that using a nasal pillows mask is the answer.

I have a full beard too, although not quite as glorious as Monsieur bonjour, and have used the AirFit P10 with great success. I've recently found the AirFit P30i and I'm loving it even more. On the occasion that I feel congested, these two masks work the best for me. I did notice a slight increase in leak rate with the P30i, but it is well within the boundaries of 24L/m and does not disturb my sleep at all.

It takes a few minutes of forcing myself to breathe through my nose to clear, but it will work.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't use the humidifier in my CPAP, except when I have a cold and couldn't breathe through my nose. However, after some experimentation, I found I could take a small dose of Afrin (the long lasting type), then the pressure from the cpap clear the blockage after a few minutes and I was able to sleep then! As long as I wore the cpap, I didn't have congestion! As soon as I woke up and took off the mask, the congestion returned with a vengeance though.

After awhile, I realized I didn't need the humidifier at all, just the single squirt of Long acting Afrin in each nostril and some wait time for it to kick in....and I was good for the night! I haven't used the humidifier in all the years since.

W1ABA
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for these ideas. Yes, I do find that on some occasions I can get my nasal mask to work even when I am congested, and also do put some Dristan in a bit before going to sleep (haven't tried Afrin, but will look into it) but I do think I need a backup for severe allergy nights and I will need a full face option.

Think the difference here is that this isn't just congestion. This is allergies causing congestion, meaning that even when I 'force' a clear nasal airway, and always use a Hepa filter in my machine, changing it every 3-4 weeks, new allergens are being introduced into my airway via air through the machine and that is keeping my system inflamed and in reaction. It is certainly better for me to breath through the machine, when I can get myself breathing, but during the 2-3 cycles of allergies that I experience each year, every other night is a battle to breath because I'm in an allergic state all day/night. At least that is what I am experiencing.

So any recommendations on a full face mask that might work well with facial hair for a dude with a narrow face, even though I too am not sporting the calibre of Monsieur Bonjour's facial hair, yet?

Would anyone concur that the ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask would be my best bet?
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have a narrow face and a goatee. I have used the Dreamwear full face, but it's uncomfortable below my nose. Are you aware there are four different cushion sizes for the Dreamwear? I have also used a Resmed F30I that's similar to the Dreamwear full face that's more comfortable to me and I found it's easier for me to breathe in it. It also comes in four sizes.  Now I'm using an Airfit F20 and it seems to be doing very well. I shave my Zappa, so I don't have any whiskers from my bottom lip to below the indentation of my chin. I occasionally get a very small leakage there, but according to Oscar, nothing major. I get no leakage where the mask is on the whiskers below the corners of my mouth. The others didn't leak there either. I have a weak chin, so I pretty much expect it to leak there some.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the p10 for 3.5 years; never had a problem breaking through congestion until a week or so ago. twice I could not continue papping; fortunately it was in the morning both times. meanwhile, my lip leaks have been increasing, despite using a soft cervical collar. my facial hair is on par with bonjour's. the half dozen ff and nasal masks they tried on me at my titration failed to seal. no idea what models they were. so I'm asking the same question. if I recall correctly, a recent thread listed the mirage liberty, resmed F30, dreamwear ffm and inomed/rescare hybrid as being beard friendly. any others?
Post Reply Post Reply
Dream stream we are all talking about the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows as being effective in beating congestion. I have also needed Flonase in allergy season. I have never used a full mask in 12 years and been able to breathe through allergies, colds and even sinus infection.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for clarifying. Is the there some kind of difference between the Resmed Airfit P10 and the DreamWear nasal cushion mask I use every day with almost no leaking? Does the Resmed Airfit P10 somehow ensure better pressure/seal that can support opening congested airways?
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s fine, the conventional nasal masks tha fit around the outside of the nose do not provide the same direct pressure to the nares.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,604 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.