Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask Issues
Full Face Mask Issues
First off, this is my first post Smile Go easy on me.

I have a S9 Autoset with ResMed Mirage Quattro mask. I did something REALLY dumb. I got the unit and used it for a few weeks...then stopped. Thought it wasn't helping. So I emptied it out and packed it up and it up. Well, needless to say after a few months of really bad sleep, I'm back on the machine.

After the first time I used it since packing it away (with new distilled water and cleaning the mask, of course), I developed a stuffy nose and sore throat. The humidity level was set on 3. It might just be coincidental, but should I be concerned? I did feel better that day, despite the sore throat. I felt more awake with more energy. I still feel better than I did before.

Also, any tips on mask fitting? I'm having trouble finding that happy medium between a good seal and not getting a headache from the top of the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face Mask Issues
Hi marthaabernathy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you are back on the machine.
The mask can be the most difficult part of CPAP therapy. You might try a different type of mask as full-face masks (FFMs,)are quite proned to leaks.
As far as your humidity goes, you could turn it up a bit more and see if that helps.
I know CPAP therapy can be trying at times, but I encourage you to stick with it.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Martha - while it is true that bacteria can colonise your hose and mask if you don't clean them, if you left it for several months after only a short usage, the chances are that any bacteria would have died out as the mask and hose dried out. So, most likely a coincidence. However, let it act as a good reminder to you as to how important good device hygiene is.

Getting a good fit for a full face mask can be tough, and I am not the person to ask, since I use nasal pillows, and am so very glad of that, especially this last week, when I had a severe rhinovirus with strong cough - I cannot imagine how it would be to wear a full face mask in such a situation.

However, one thing I have observed is that tight isn't necessarily better - it can increase leaks - there is a happy medium you should be able to find if you work with the mask, finding the right combination of tensions at each anchor point. Stick with it - as uncomfortable as it can be at first, it gets better, and it is better to be a hose head than to be dead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! I'm also relatively new to the process, having used my setup for about 2-1/2 months. I love my quattro mask but it was a process to get everything the best it could be.... I suggest reading this article on how to the tame the quattro: http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/taming-...e-quattro/

I saw significant improvement in leaks and ability to sleep on my side after trying the anti-leak strap from Pad-a-cheek. The strap was $20 but can be used for a long time before replacement and can be easily washed without problems.

If all else fails, ask Ren (aka TheWerkz on this forum), he has been very helpful to me for all things related to the quattro... :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello and welcome. I'm fairly new here and always find excellent info and advise here at this forum. I've recently been having success with living with my Mirage Quattro FF Mask. I used to wipe the mask everyday with a baby wipe and wash in soap water about once a week. Now I dropped the baby wipe and wash every day in soap and water. I really believe it helps me the best. I just started tightening the straps once I'm in the bed. This seems to help me a lot. If I need to loosen or adjust a strap, I'm able to do it now without getting up. I'm using a different pillow. It helps a lot since I'm a side sleeper. Not using the memory foam pillow since it was always as hard as granite and the new pillow does a better job of fitting around my head.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2013, 10:35 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: The mask can be the most difficult part of CPAP therapy. You might try a different type of mask as full-face masks (FFMs,)are quite proned to leaks.

Thanks. The only problem is that ,oddly enough, I tried all the other possible masks when I had my sleep study and the FFM was the only one that didn't cause anxiety, or worse leak because I'm a really bad mouth breather.

(02-11-2013, 12:40 PM)wilorg Wrote: Martha - while it is true that bacteria can colonise your hose and mask if you don't clean them, if you left it for several months after only a short usage, the chances are that any bacteria would have died out as the mask and hose dried out. So, most likely a coincidence. However, let it act as a good reminder to you as to how important good device hygiene is.

You're right. I agree. I work in a hospital so it's more likely I picked up this at work, than my CPAP machine. I tried upping the humidity to 6 and my throat is no worse today.

(02-11-2013, 02:06 PM)IDRIck Wrote: Welcome! I'm also relatively new to the process, having used my setup for about 2-1/2 months. I love my quattro mask but it was a process to get everything the best it could be.... I suggest reading this article on how to the tame the quattro

THANK YOU!!! I love the power of forums for stuff like this. That blog really gave me some ideas on where I'm going wrong and it's odd but I look forward to going to bed to fix it! Smile

(02-11-2013, 02:24 PM)AuntElizabeth Wrote: Hello and welcome. I'm fairly new here and always find excellent info and advise here at this forum. I've recently been having success with living with my Mirage Quattro FF Mask. I used to wipe the mask everyday with a baby wipe and wash in soap water about once a week. Now I dropped the baby wipe and wash every day in soap and water. I really believe it helps me the best. I just started tightening the straps once I'm in the bed. This seems to help me a lot. If I need to loosen or adjust a strap, I'm able to do it now without getting up. I'm using a different pillow. It helps a lot since I'm a side sleeper. Not using the memory foam pillow since it was always as hard as granite and the new pillow does a better job of fitting around my head.

Funny thing is that I'm not a side sleeper. I thought I was, and generally I start out on my side, but the tech at my sleep study said that I started out on my side, but spent most of the night on my back. Any suggestions on the type of pillow to get? I'm probably going to buy a new pillow anyway, suggestions on the type of pillow that works best?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2013, 10:21 AM)marthaabernathy Wrote: Also, any tips on mask fitting? I'm having trouble finding that happy medium between a good seal and not getting a headache from the top of the mask.

Quattro fitting instruction video from ResMed
also lots more videos about the S9 and adjusting humidity using slimline and climateline tubing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caKvxANKa...g&index=81

Post Reply Post Reply

Funny thing is that I'm not a side sleeper. I thought I was, and generally I start out on my side, but the tech at my sleep study said that I started out on my side, but spent most of the night on my back. Any suggestions on the type of pillow to get? I'm probably going to buy a new pillow anyway, suggestions on the type of pillow that works best?
[/quote]

There is a product review section on the home page. You might look around there for ideas and tips. Since I'm a side sleeper, I'm not sure what would be the most helpful for you since you sleep mostly on your back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Martha,
I sure do understand, everyone is different, so a full-face mask is probably just what you need.
Best of luck and hang in there with it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Martha, Welcome

You've already had some good suggestions here along with excellent resource links from Rick & Zonk.

The only thing I would add is to always wash your face before bed and don't use any moisturizers or facial cream since the mask silicone cannot create a seal against your face if there's any oils present on the mask or your face.

Let us know how it's working for you.

Sleep-well

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 211 4 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 110 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 157 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,604 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.