Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask Leakage?
Full Face Mask Leakage?
I am using a RedMed S9 Elite and a Respironics ComfortGel Blue Full Face Mask. My set pressure is 12 cm H20. I check my data with the ResMed software. I have noticed that my leakage is very low now compared to some old data. Can something be wrong with the S9 data system flow measurement system or the mask? The maximum allowable leakage rate for this mask is 24 L/min. My leakage rates are about 1-2 L/min. now. Thanks, Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face Mask Leakage?
Be careful if you compare the total leak rate (which includes the "intentional" leak caused by the mask vent) and the unintentional leak rate (which would ideally be zero).

That 1-2 L/min must be an unintentional leak, and that is pretty good. It looks like your mask is a good fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2013, 06:36 PM)RonWessels Wrote: Be careful if you compare the total leak rate (which includes the "intentional" leak caused by the mask vent) and the unintentional leak rate (which would ideally be zero).

That 1-2 L/min must be an unintentional leak, and that is pretty good. It looks like your mask is a good fit.

The ResMed software reports leakage as median, 95th percentile and maximum in L/min. My minimums are 0 and my 95th percentiles averarge around 1-2 L/Min. Even when I get up to use the rest room my maximum is usually around 15-18 L/min as reported. There is a maximum line at 24 L/min. Can there be a problem with the mask vent or the flow measurement system in my ResMed S9?. I can feel outgoing flow from the mask vent all night. Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I understand it, Resmed machines report only the unintentional leak rate. So if you have a leak rate of zero, that means you are leaking only what's supposed to be leaking through the exhalation port.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RonWessels and Sleepster are correct. S9 only reports the large/unintentional leakage - not total or expected leakage. It helps to make sure you have the correct hose type and mask type dialed into your admin settings directly on the S9. A leak rate of 1 - 2 l/min is pretty decent.

Do you turn off your machine before take off your mask to go to the bathroom?

Sleep well.
[Image: dreamdiver-signature-gif.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like everything is ok and you have foundvthevperfect mask!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2013, 09:30 PM)DreamDiver Wrote: RonWessels and Sleepster are correct. S9 only reports the large/unintentional leakage - not total or expected leakage. It helps to make sure you have the correct hose type and mask type dialed into your admin settings directly on the S9. A leak rate of 1 - 2 l/min is pretty decent.

Do you turn off your machine before take off your mask to go to the bathroom?

Sleep well.
Hi. No I don't remove the mask. The bathroom is close enough. I have a ten foot hose just for that reason. Bob.

(07-30-2013, 09:50 PM)Mark Risley Wrote: Sounds like everything is ok and you have foundvthevperfect mask!

HI. OK. Thanks, Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed machines are the only machines report unintentional leak rate (mask plus mouth leak), you need to select the right mask type that you,re using. AS you,re using Respironcis full face mask which have slight different vents leak (intentional leak) than ResMed masks, the leak rate reported might not be 100% accurate but yours numbers are excellent to worry about a liter here and there Well-done
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zonk.OK Thanks, Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't want to continually harp on this, but why so much concern about data? Learn to get comfortable with your unit. Learn which mask is best for you. Learn how to handle leakage issues. Learn to get 8 hours of sleep a nigh. Then when you can do all that, you will have time to tweak these data and software issues and improve even more. Data issues are not the main concern when you can't even get comfortable with your new therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,581 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 255 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.