Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask Nose Sore Problem

My first bad experience was with an Amara full fase mask by Respironics. After several days of use, my nose bridge had a large painful sore that formed small water blisters. I was unable to continue therapy for two weeks due to the sore on my nose. The forehead cushion also left my forehead very red and irritated the next morning. Loved the headgear. Currently, I am using a ResMed Quattro FX full face mask. Hate the headgear design. I still have leak problems with the Quattro, but no more sore nose.
My questions for anyone are: 1) Anyone know why the Amara causes nose bridge sores? 2) How many others have experienced the nose sore problem?

Thanks for responses,
VET65
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face Mask Nose Sore Problem
Hi VET65,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2013, 03:45 PM)VET65 Wrote: Full Face Mask Nose Sore Problem

My first bad experience was with an Amara full fase mask by Respironics. After several days of use, my nose bridge had a large painful sore that formed small water blisters. I was unable to continue therapy for two weeks due to the sore on my nose. The forehead cushion also left my forehead very red and irritated the next morning. Loved the headgear. Currently, I am using a ResMed Quattro FX full face mask. Hate the headgear design. I still have leak problems with the Quattro, but no more sore nose.
My questions for anyone are: 1) Anyone know why the Amara causes nose bridge sores? 2) How many others have experienced the nose sore problem?

Thanks for responses,
VET65

I have, but I otherwise like the mask. They have just come out with one with a gel cushion which I have coming in tomorrow. I have high hopes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum VET65! I've only used Resmed masks but I had a similar issue with the Mirage Quattro. Not sure what the Amara is like but the Mirage Quattro's gel cushion has a softer outer layer that comes into contact with your face and a firmer inner layer to retain the mask's shape. I determined that the firmer inner layer was too narrow at the top of the mask for my face and was therefore pinching the bridge of my nose. I've also used the Quattro FX and when I compare the Quattro FX and the Mirage Quattro, the firmer inner layer spacing at the nose bridge for the Quattro FX is much wider so it doesn't pinch my nose and doesn't lead to any sores. You could be experiencing the same with the Amara, or it could be something else. Lately I've been using the Quattro Air and it too has a wider spacing at the top and is very comfortable for me to wear.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to have the same problem, I also use the Quattro full face mask. I found if I over tighten the mask, it tended to cause my nose at the top to become sore and break out. To fix that, I found that instead of those gel pads that came out, a simple bandaid on the bridge of my nose stopped it. It'd also help the mask fit better and not leak. Now I figured out that since the mask was overtightened it, it's better to loosen it and it took days of careful adjusting to fix. It means I can't sleep on my side much and have to lay on my back, but I found a pillow that lets me sleep on my side better.

It's a buckwheat pillow, a small one that fits under my neck. I can roll on my side and still be comfy without massive leaks.

Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
A chamois cream (like Butt Butt'r....I'm loathe to mention it...had some on hand for my cycling, but didn't have lanolin...necessity and all) or lanolin cream can help a bit too...before things go to a full sore.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just received a new ComfortGel Blue nasal mask from my healthcare provider. Tried it for the first time on 09/04/2013 night time therapy. I was awaken in the night after 3.7 hours of use. I thought at first I was having a heart attack. My heart and chest were hurting and I was unable to breathe in or out. I pulled off the nasal mask thinking there may have been a power loss to the CPAP machine. Still was unable to breathe in or out. When I removed the chin strap that was holding my mouth closed, a large puff of air shot out of my mouth. A close call, to say the least. What happened?? How could so much air be trapped in my mouth?? Gone back to using my Quattro FX full face...for sure.

VET65
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 1 53 8 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 186 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 162 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 116 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 136 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 324 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,939 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.