Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask Question
Full Face Mask Question
I have used the ResMed Swift LT Pillows since starting my treatment, but just recently upgraded to the ResMed AirFit P10 Pillows mask.   During times of head colds & stuffy noses, I have taken a break from using my CPAP until my sickness resides.  Last week, I decided to pick up a ResMed AirFit F20 FFM, from my DME, with the intention of using it during sickness periods.   My question concerning use of a FFM is...do you need to keep your mouth closed like using a pillows mask, to get the full benefit of your CPAP, or does it matter either way?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face Mask Question
Managing Mouth breathing is the main purpose of a FFM, so you are ok.  Don't be surprised if you need to increase pressure a couple of cms.

When I'm having issues with my pillows I apply tape to my lips, if that doesn't work I go to my FFM the Amara View.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice!  I did notice my pressure was bumping my upper limit of 14 last night at 13.75.  I had dropped it from 16, so I reset it this morning after reviewing my results in SheepyHead.
Post Reply Post Reply
Post your data. We may be able to tweak your therapy.

instructions are in my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can the "4 post" rule be met in the same thread?

Okay, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi esparzatj and welcome to the forum. I use a full face mask exclusively and the only thing I notice when I sometimes do a lot of mouth breathing is a very dry mouth, once or twice I woke up with an extremely dry mouth. Hope you become a participant on the forum, the more meaningful participation the better it all works.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the pillows and the one where your nose sits in a little cover but I love the full mask much better.

I am using the resmed one but saw some nice ones at other online shops.

Welcome to the forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Stan!  I was originally diagnosed for the sleep apnea in 2008, a year before I retired from the Army after 32 years.  My DME through Tricare Prime, issued a ResMed Escape II w/ 3i Humidifier& a Swift LT nasal pillows.  I tried for 180 days and finally gave up with the CPAP hassle!  I just turned 65 this past December, along with starting Medicare & Tricare-for-Life.  My first wife divorced me during Operation Desert Storm...a JAG Officer handled me my divorce papers on the morning of February 24, 1991, which was the start of the ground war! February 24th was also my middle son's birthday...we had 3 sons.  I re-married in 2000 and we have a daughter & son in the 4th & 2nd grades!  So now, I have a reason to maintain my health for a longer life...I have re-started my sleep apnea therapy for these reasons!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi esparzatj,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you this time around with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2017, 04:14 PM)esparzatj Wrote:   My question concerning use of a FFM is...do you need to keep your mouth closed like using a pillows mask, to get the full benefit of your CPAP, or does it matter either way?

I use the F20 and found that frequently my jaw would drop to the point that the lower seal was almost in my mouth and I would have a massive leak. Bonjour is right about the main purpose of the FFM being to control mouth breathing but for some of us, like me, a chin strap or soft cervical collar may be required to prevent the jaw from dropping too much. Having the right size is important,of course.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 143 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,602 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.