Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is the brain damage produced by Sleep Apnea over the years permanent?
RE: Is the brain damage produced by Sleep Apnea over the years permanent?
Pretty much completely reversible within 12 months according to studies: https://aasm.org/brain-damage-caused-by-...eversible/
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is the brain damage produced by Sleep Apnea over the years permanent?
Welcome planetf1.

I think my body is just slow to respond to most any type of change. I think I can say I started to see a noticeable positive turn after 6 to 9 months on my ASV. In all fairness though, my slow improvement probably wasn't entirely the fault of any one source. I attribute this squarely at three problems. One - Kaiser for their lack of interest and competence in adjusting my ASV machine settings for my personal therapy needs (kudos to ApneaBoard experts for their help here). Two - again Kaiser for their lack of tutelage and due diligence in finding the right mask and acquiring the correct fit (again kudos to AB and perseverance on my part). Three - time. It takes time to turn around the damage done over years living with undiagnosed sleep apnea. This wreaked havoc on my body and culminated in numerous and compounding health problems I won't go into here. Suffice it to say when my primary dock rattled off about two dozen ailments potentially attributed to sleep apnea, all but one or two garnished a "yup" response by me.

After 6 months or so, I really felt like I wanted to get off the couch and do something, anything, I had energy. I didn't want to nap in front of the TV all day anymore. And my brain fog was pretty much gone. I discovered a good thing along the way worthy of mention. If I couldn't use my machine for a few days, as in having bad allergies or a head cold, my overall feeling of wellbeing wouldn't diminish for 3 or 4 days off PAP. And if it did start to diminish, just 1 night on my ASV machine would instantly bring me back to feeling well with no more brain fog.

As far as the other too-numerous-to-mention other symptoms, Some are slow to improve, and others are quick to resolve. But this is tempered by the good old aging process, as mentioned previously.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 284 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.