Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask issue
RE: Full Face Mask issue
Lanco, can you modify the mask that rides up with a chin strap of sorts that attaches to the lower straps and runs under your chin? It would prevent it from riding up. I'm thinking of a wide elastic, perhaps wrapped in some T-shirt material. I'd sew it directly to the outside of the straps. As long as it is comfortable and does the trick, otherwise the mask is no good for you anyways.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2017, 08:15 PM)Russatrice Wrote: Lanco, can you modify the mask that rides up with a chin strap of sorts that attaches to the lower straps and runs under your chin? It would prevent it from riding up. I'm thinking of a wide elastic, perhaps wrapped in some T-shirt material. I'd sew it directly to the outside of the straps. As long as it is comfortable and does the trick, otherwise the mask is no good for you anyways.

Thanks, I'll have to see what my wife says  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely don't mess with the anti asphyxiation vents.

I hope you can get your replacement quickly. It's nice to have a mask you love so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Last night I decided to put tape over the vent in the Wizard 220 thinking this should be fine unless the electricity goes out and if it did I have heard you'd wake up anyway....

...unless someone can convince me it's safe to sleep without a functioning anti-asphyxia valve on a FFM.

If you're doing what I think you're doing that is a very bad idea. The anti-asphyxiation valve is there to stop you getting asphyxiated in the event of a power failure. It stops you re-breathing exhaled CO2. Likewise, the vent is there to flush away your exhaled breath. If the valve isn't working and you've taped up the vent there is an excellent chance you'll end up with surplus CO2. It might not kill you, but I wouldn't take the chance with my life. How adventurous are you?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2017, 05:05 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
Quote:Last night I decided to put tape over the vent in the Wizard 220 thinking this should be fine unless the electricity goes out and if it did I have heard you'd wake up anyway....

...unless someone can convince me it's safe to sleep without a functioning anti-asphyxia valve on a FFM.

If you're doing what I think you're doing that is a very bad idea.  The anti-asphyxiation valve is there to stop you getting asphyxiated in the event of a power failure. It stops you re-breathing exhaled CO2. Likewise, the vent is there to flush away your exhaled breath. If the valve isn't working and you've taped up the vent there is an excellent chance you'll end up with surplus CO2. It might not kill you, but I wouldn't take the chance with my life. How adventurous are you?

Yes, thank you, I had already made the decision to not use the mask with the taped up vent for the reasons you mentioned.  While it might work, I didn't want to take a chance.  As it was this morning our electricity went out for a while.  In the meantime, until I can get a decent replacement I'll try to make due with the Quattro FX.  My leak rate is around 6, not as good as the 0 on my Wizard 220 but way below the 24% REsmed says is ok.  I wish this thing didn't have the leak problem and it seems to not stay where i put it.  Bad design in my opinion.  Only reason I got it in the first place was i needed a backup and for $25 donation to the American Sleep Apnea Assoc, I thought it would be a good way to test a Resmed mask and have a cheap backup.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 101 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 511 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,579 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 654 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.