Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face Mask, light and no forehead bar?
Full Face Mask, light and no forehead bar?
I am thinking I will finally have to go to a FF mask.
I have been using the P10 pillows for a good 6 months now but all of a sudden with higher pressures are getting too many leaks.
I am going to try a chinstrap but I still want to purchase a FF mask.

I would like to hear some recommendations please.
I have been looking at the Quattro FX and the Resmed F10.
I really do not one with a forehead bar. I would like one with as little and light as possible please, if it exists.
Thanks
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face Mask, light and no forehead bar?
If you do this, I think you gotta go with the F10. But I also think it's premature.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just ordered a Fisher & Paykel Simplus Full Face which I hope will be an improvement on the nose bridge smasher Resmed Mirage Quattro that I have been suffering with. I'll let you know how it works out. Cool

Edit: I welcome any comments on my choice since I'm new at this CPAP game and don't presume to know anything about this equipment but do understand how pain works. I have to pay full price for my equipment since I couldn't pass a sleep test, scored AHI of 1.9 according to my doc. Maybe I should have studied harder. Funny thing though, I get 17.3 reading with my ResMed S9 and the ResScan software. Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2014, 07:57 PM)Gabby Wrote: I am thinking I will finally have to go to a FF mask.
I have been using the P10 pillows for a good 6 months now but all of a sudden with higher pressures are getting too many leaks.
I am going to try a chinstrap but I still want to purchase a FF mask.
Definitely try the chinstrap and hold off the full face mask
Chinstrap helps keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leak

Beside being too expensive, full face masks are bulky and more prone to leaks

Find a local supplier so you can try the mask even you have to pay to trial the mask for a week or two

You can order the mask online if the trial prove to be successful otherwise can be a costly mistake
if the mask is the wrong size or did not work you

Keep in mind, my mask might be a good choice for me but might be a bad choice for you and somebody else
No two people are alike, everyone is different

Post Reply Post Reply
AirFit F10 is hands down the only FFM I like. (Actually, it's the only one I've been able to tolerate).

However, if you haven't tried several chinstraps I would do that first.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your replies.
I get where you are coming from, what is good for one person may not be good for another.
I will definitely try the chinstrap first as I do like my P10 and have been very disappointed of late because of my increasing leaks.

I am lucky my U.S. supplier charges only $50.00 for most masks, otherwise I would have to think long and hard about replacing masks at the exorbitant prices here.

Surferdude, I have briefly tried the Simplus but didn't like it. I think that is because I am used to the pillows.
As Zonk says we are all different.
I don't understand what you mean about your sleep study AHI being 1.9, surely that means you don't have sleep apnea?
Good luck with your journey and hang in there.

Chinstrap it is!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2014, 09:45 PM)Gabby Wrote: Surferdude, I have briefly tried the Simplus but didn't like it. I think that is because I am used to the pillows.
As Zonk says we are all different.
I don't understand what you mean about your sleep study AHI being 1.9, surely that means you don't have sleep apnea?
Good luck with your journey and hang in there.

Chinstrap it is!

What it means is that I didn't meet the criteria that Medicare has established for authorizing payment for the equipment. I have to pony up the dough from my life savings. Sad

I suspect the test was flawed but I'm in no position to challenge that yet, I'm just wanting to get some sleep after suffering for more than 6 months of getting less than 3 hours nightly and I'll gladly pay whatever it costs.

Although I have limited experience with these devices I will say what worked for me when I was having a problem with the expiration pressure and the resultant claustrophobia feeling it was giving me was that I found that I was pushing too hard when exhaling. I finally found that just letting it happen naturally put the whole issue to rest. I suppose it was a case of anxiety and thinking I could help by trying to hurry the process.

Another thing that bothered me was hearing my breathing sounds being conducted via the head bones in contact with the mask. I've found that playing some pleasant music at just the right volume to swamp out those sounds make it easier to forget about the process altogether and the anxiety is abated a great deal. I have a radio that has an assortment of timer limited sleep inducing sounds that works well for that with the exception of one of them that resembles the sound of the surf. I find myself trying to sync up with what is a cyclical wave dumping on somewhere around a 4 second interval. That's a shade fast for my body to accommodate. Oh-jeez

HTH you in some part of your journey to sleepy town.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2014, 09:28 PM)zonk Wrote: No two people are alike, everyone is different

(08-06-2014, 09:45 PM)Gabby Wrote: As Zonk says we are all different.

Ok people.......... Do I really have to go there?
Post Reply Post Reply
I really like the F10; switched to it from Quattro Air... it's a great mask IMHO
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2014, 10:48 PM)DNB128 Wrote: I really like the F10; switched to it from Quattro Air... it's a great mask IMHO

Thanks DNB. It is good to get some feedback from someone who has used one.
If the chinstrap doesn't help control my leaks with the higher pressure it looks like I will have to go for the FF mask and I am liking the look of the F10.
But first things first.
I really appreciate your feedback.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,501 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,601 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,074 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.