Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face mask increases AHI
Full Face mask increases AHI
I have been using an Airlift N30i for six months and have had some mouth leak. Preasure setting are 7 to 12.   I decided to try a full face mask and obtained three different masks: Airfit F30, Airfit F30i and Airtouch F20.

My AHI with the N30i has been under 5.  Using the full face masks one night each for three nights resulted in a significantly increased AHI - Airtouch F20 AHI was 9.79, the Airfit F30i was 11.37 and the Airfit F30 was 24.12.  I was very surprised that the obstructive apnea went from 0.25 with the N30i to 4.02 with the F20, 5.30 with the F30i and 15.33 with the F30. 

I found all three full face masks quiet and comfortable and slept through the night.

Any ideas why I would have such different results between a nasal mask and full face masks?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Face mask increases AHI
Can you post some charts so we can see what happened.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have slightly varying AHI with each different mask. I assumed it's just a "thing". I figure if I'm still feeling my usual rested/treated self, then the difference in AHI doesn't bother me.

But my variances are between .6-3.6. Whereas your variances are more significant.

So I agree that it would be good to see your OSCAR charts from those nights, to get a better idea of what's happening.

Some masks I breathe easier with, and some I don't. Sometimes it's the size of the cushion that affects it. So you may need to experiment with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure how to post the charts.  Are there instructions on the site?
Post Reply Post Reply
Please read and follow the links in my signature.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Full face masks usually require higher pressures to control apnea compared to nasal masks. So, for same pressure AHI would be expected to be higher.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4990949/
Post Reply Post Reply
You do need to change the mask selection in the setup menu for the mask you are using. The machine will adjust with more pressure for the additional venting that occurs with a full face mask.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
John,

The mask selection was set for the full face mask.  The pressure went to my max setting of 12 for the full face masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Crimson Nape,[url=http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/User-Crimson-Nape][/url]

Can you direct me to instruction for capturing and saving the Oscar data?
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at chapter 4 in the OSCAR Chart Organization Wiki. It's F12

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...screenshot
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,604 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.