Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Face mask increases AHI
RE: Full Face mask increases AHI
It's a good point about pressure. When I use a FFM, I have to adjust my pressure setting to go higher.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the report from last night using Airtouch F20 and an increased pressure 7 to 14.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
This is the night before using the Airlift N30i nasal mask.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
This seems to be a very common problem. I tried switching from pillows to a ffm last year and saw my ahi jump from less then 1 to a range of 8-10 instantly. I had events like I had never seen before. No matter what I did pressure wise to try and fix the problem nothing seemed to work so you can guess where that mask is now. It is unfortunate because my reason for trying it was to eliminate using a chin strap and using that mask did away with all the mouth leaking. It was the F30 and I liked the fit etc but the sleep and stats were horrible. That said I am a bugger for punishment so thinking of trying the F30i. One of the problems I had with the F30 was the hose in front. This time I will ensure I have an option to return so don't waste any more money.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input.  I have tried the tree different full face masks and liked them all for fit and comfort.  I tried increasing the pressure but the results did not improve.
  I may resign myself that I will have to put up with the chin strap and noise of nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try foam earplugs for the noise from the mask. I wear earplugs when I use the N30 or N30i. It seems to diminish the perceived sound quite a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi Paul B, 

Not sure if this will help any, but let's see. I started on the 19 of this year 2020 with a full face mask dreamwear newer style. I have found that just a adjustment can make a big difference in the reading you will get on Oscar.  Yesterday I tightened the mask on the adjustment behind the head and got up with sore ribs and my score is a bit higher, still good I think though. Chart on the left is from last night after the adjustment and the chart on the right is from the night before no adjustment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Joe,

My problem is gong from a nasal mask (N30i) to any of the four full face masks I have tried ( Resperonics Amara Gel, Resmed F20, F30 and F30i) I go from an AHI of under 5 to an AHI of 10 to 20.  With the nasal mask I usually have no or very few obstructive apneas but the full face mask results in 5 or more obstructive apneas.  With the full face mask the pressure goes to my max setting of 12 as stays there while the nasal mask never goes to 12 and us usually in the 9 range.  I have tried to increase the pressure  with the ff masks to 13 and then to 14 and the AHIs just go higher.

The ff masks fit well and are comfortable and the CPAP is set to full face.  I am at a loss to understand why I have been getting these results.

Hope someone can give me some guidance as I have periods where algeries kick in and it is difficult not to mouth breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
The experts will correct me if I’m wrong but it looks like you need at least a minimum pressure of 11 maybe 12. Your events are getting ahead start and the machine can’t stop it once it starts like that. It can prevent them but it cannot stop it after it starts. That’s why the pressure doesn’t increase till after an event and why it increases immediately upon detecting a flow limitation, the precursor to an event. Follow? I had a similar problem when I first started with a starting pressure of 6 and max of 20. It would be up at 20 before I knew it. Now with a starting pressure of 11 it only varies at most 3 cm to about 14 and that’s on the occasional bad night. Most of the time it only varies 1.5 all night. This is all full face mask. When I tried pillows 8cm was the magic number.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 518 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,597 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 700 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 398 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.