Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full Mask makes nasal breathing difficult?
RE: Full Mask makes nasal breathing difficult?
(05-25-2019, 05:03 PM)Stom Wrote:
(05-25-2019, 06:47 AM)Diotima245 Wrote: Does anyone have a issue with  nasal breathing under a full  face mask? It feels like my nostrils  shrink/close up with it. If I use nasal pillows I don't have the same issue so it sounds as if it's  mostly a FMM issue.

Perhaps not so much a full face mask issue as the fact that nasal pillows really help inflate your nostrils and power through some nasal blockages and congestion. With a FF mask the pressure outside your nostrils and inside them is the same. With nasal pillows the pressure is higher inside your nostrils and they inflate like a balloon -- well, not like a balloon, nothing near that much, but you get the idea.

The other issue is that nasal masks in general have been shown to work better than "full face" masks (oronasal masks), needing slightly less pressure for the same efficacy.

So, a full face mask is, to an extent, the mask of last resort.

This is my view as well without thinking about it to scientifically...  pillows are a sort of brute force method of pumping air in while the FFM sort of flows around nose/mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2019, 06:47 AM)Diotima245 Wrote: Does anyone have a issue with  nasal breathing under a full  face mask? It feels like my nostrils  shrink/close up with it. If I use nasal pillows I don't have the same issue so it sounds as if it's  mostly a FMM issue.

Yes! I do have the same problem, in my case its a problem with my internal nasal valves, they are too long and floppy.

Put a finger in the middle of your nose(around the spot where your internal valves are) and push the skin upwards so that you kinda make your nose pig-ish, does it make you inhale easier? if you do the same but from the tip of your nose you can check the external valves. Collapsing or floppy internal valves can be fixed really fast with a minor surgery. You go home the same day.

[Image: nasal-valve-treatment.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried on a Resmed N20 mask today and had the same issues as the Resmed full-face mask... soon as pressure kicked in my nasal passages closed up and breathing felt very hard... I pumped up the pressure to 12cm and saw very minor improvement but then it felt like it was pushing way to much air for me... I am relatively comfortable with Resmed P10 nasal pillows at 4cm to start with ramp to 12cm if necessary. It's really bizarre. Guess I'm dependent on either nasal pillows or if I wanted to mouth breathing with FMM...
Post Reply Post Reply
I think my problem is that nasal masks and full-face masks place pressure on my nose bridge forcing passages to constrict.

Feels Bad Man.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at the Bleep http://www.bleepsleep.com it is a stick on mask that will put no pressure on your nose. It is innovative and new to the market so you may struggle to get insurance coverage.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may need the next size up in the FFM, it is supposed to sit higher, on the bridge. The boney bit. It shouldn't be low enough to interfere with the soft tissue. The f30 and some of the other FFM will sit under the nose and seal. It may be an answer for you.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 23 542 1 hour ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 447 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 250 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 980 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,160 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 125 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 139 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.