Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face mask and smart start
Full face mask and smart start
So I recently (a few weeks ago) switched to the AirFit F10 full time and while it's been fine for the most part I've had a few days where I only used it for half the night or so. Now I've never been one to rip off the mask unknowingly (I've done it a few times knowingly but that's a different problem) and I don't remember waking up with the mask off. I noticed last night that I had a hard time starting the machine with just breathing; had to take a rather large inhale to get it to go, so I'm wondering if the smart start failing to trigger after one of my nightly restroom visits could be the cause.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face mask and smart start
Are you setting the mask type in the menu?

The anti asphyxia valve in the FFM might require more "pull" to activate smartstart.
(It's in the elbow on the mask)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2014, 08:52 PM)eviltim Wrote: I noticed last night that I had a hard time starting the machine with just breathing; had to take a rather large inhale to get it to go, so I'm wondering if the smart start failing to trigger after one of my nightly restroom visits could be the cause.

Mine has a big valve in the front that flops open when there's no air pressure, so you don't suffocate. It's extremely difficult or impossible for me to start the machine by breathing into it.

Yours probably does the same thing. It's more likely that you took it off and it stopped, than it stopped so you took it off.

If you can download and view your data you can get a good idea what was going on before you took it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2014, 09:14 PM)justMongo Wrote: Are you setting the mask type in the menu?

The anti asphyxia valve in the FFM might require more "pull" to activate smartstart.
(It's in the elbow on the mask)

Good catch! Maybe that will help.

(09-01-2014, 09:19 PM)Terry Wrote:
(09-01-2014, 08:52 PM)eviltim Wrote: I noticed last night that I had a hard time starting the machine with just breathing; had to take a rather large inhale to get it to go, so I'm wondering if the smart start failing to trigger after one of my nightly restroom visits could be the cause.

Mine has a big valve in the front that flops open when there's no air pressure, so you don't suffocate. It's extremely difficult or impossible for me to start the machine by breathing into it.

Yours probably does the same thing. It's more likely that you took it off and it stopped, than it stopped so you took it off.

If you can download and view your data you can get a good idea what was going on before you took it off.

What I mean is I disconnect the mask to go to the bathroom, so I'm thinking maybe I crash back into bed and it doesn't start. (I don't take it off, I just remove the hose). Really nothing suggestive in the data other than a large gap in the middle of the last two nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
Auto start with FFM varies a lot from machine to machine and mask to mask. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes not at all.

If you're having problems, you may get it to work if you put your hand over the port for the anti-asphyxia valve while you inhale and exhale a few times.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bet the anti-asphyxia valve is the key. I don't use a FFM (nasal pillows for me), but I find that the machine starts when I exhale, not when I inhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2014, 12:11 AM)NickDanger Wrote: I bet the anti-asphyxia valve is the key. I don't use a FFM (nasal pillows for me), but I find that the machine starts when I exhale, not when I inhale.

Yes, when you have an anti-asphyxia valve and the machine is off, you breathe room air in and out through the valve, not through the hose, and not through the CPAP machine for it to sense.

Some of the air does go up and down the hose, so sometimes it will work, sometimes not.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find it depends on the volume of the mask. With my Quattro FX (nasal mask), it didn't take much of an inhale at all to get the machine to start, with the Quattro Air (FFM) it took a bit more and with the FitLife (TFM) it takes either a bit of a sharp inhale or a couple regular breaths for the machine to figure out I'm tied back in.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, didn't have any issues last night, so I hope this holds up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 364 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,005 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,462 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,586 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Smart Watches/devices Fourkidletts 172 16,460 03-02-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.