Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face mask causing high AHI
Full face mask causing high AHI
I am a mouth breather and have been using a Wisp mask for years with a Dreamstation.  I read that full face masks could be better for mouth breathers and ordered a RedMed AirFit F30i.  I tried it last night for the first time and thought it was pretty comfortable.  However I woke early morning and saw my AHI was higher than ever and switched back to the Wisp.  Anyone know why?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face mask causing high AHI
What you have is a classic case of a form of positional apnea!  see the clusters of obstructive events.  You showed hints of this back in 2017but nothing obvious like this.
You are for some reason, likely totally unrelated to the mask, likely to be tucking your chin to your chest.

have you seen this pattern on other days recently?
By any chance did you change your pillow arrangement recently?
Try one pillow vs 2, less firm flatter pillow, the goal being to keep your neck straight.
This is a fairly common problem and many resolve it with a soft cervical collar.  Read the wiki article linked in my signature for a detailed explanation,
Post Reply Post Reply
amazing conclusions !

I had vertigo a few months ago and it was suggested to use a wedge pillow which works for some people not to get it again.

Using the Wisp did not show the positional problem but with that mask I show a lot of leaks so I am assuming thats why.

I will try tonight to use a flat pillow.

THANKS MUCH!
-Ellen
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on your description that should be a nailed it. Now to see it vanished
Post Reply Post Reply
I find myself chin tucking sometimes as a way to seal up mask leaks. A FFM has lots more area to keep sealed!

With me this happens when the top back of the headgear is slipping up over my head. The mask tilts down, and then I hunch over to follow it, and voila! apnea clusters.

Being VERY sure the headgear is correctly placed in all 3 dimensions is the trick!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 31 3 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 703 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,433 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.