Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face mask leak in bearded individual
Full face mask leak in bearded individual
Any suggestions on how to minimize or stop completely leaks in a bearded individual using a full face mask with air fit 20 res med devices. I had no leaks at all until I grew the beard. Am I condemned to a hairless face? Will silicone gel work along the edges of the mask as it does for a facemask while I scuba dive? Any other clues or thoughts would be appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face mask leak in bearded individual
Well I shaved my twenty beard off a couple of months ago, as I started on cpap tails to see which machine will be best for me, and none of the full face masks work with a beard, I didn't shave off my moustache, I got onto to Remed N30i nasal pillows, and a chin strap a it is working great touch wood
Post Reply Post Reply
FFM’s have changed quite a bit over the years and the F20 is the best one I’ve ever had. The newer masks really work better floating on the face rather than the straps compressing the cushion.

Previously I had a Quattro FX and I had a beard for a couple years. Even though that mask was supposedly designed to float, the cushion seemed more like the older ones. I ended up using elastic straps to really cinch it down and get it to seal. Depending on how much you really want to use a FFM, you can look into a Quattro with a forehead support. I’m not sure I could even go back to one of those.

Personally if you can tolerate some sort pillows and a chin strap, you might be better off.

Also, my experience may not be representative because I really like FFM’s and have always gotten them to seal... YMMV.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
See my avatar?  That's me with my backup mask, an Amara View.  
I've never had a problem with a FFM, other than never liking them.  My daily mask is the P10.  
The goal is acceptable leaks, not excessive leaks.  Try a mask liner.  And the goal is a light touch on the face.  

Many years ago the masks were air-inflated cushions and seals were accomplished by forcing the cushions to conform to your face (or was it the other wat around?)
Today's masks are designed to float on your face, much like a hovercraft, with the air pressure providing the sealing force, the straps are to merely hold the mask in place.

Try Mask liners, pad a cheek,  They are basically a teeshirt material in the shape on the mask and help with leaks for many.

Try holding the mask, under pressure, on your face with your hand, and NO straps, as lightly as possible.  Once it's situated then strap to mak the mask feel the same as your hand.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2019, 01:06 PM)bonjour Wrote: Try holding the mask, under pressure, on your face with your hand, and NO straps, as lightly as possible.  Once it's situated then strap to mak the mask feel the same as your hand.

The expert has spoken.

This one part is something I have done for a long time.  It is too hard to find the “sweet spot” by just tugging on straps.  Positioning the mask with your hand, even pushing with your index finger, will go a long way.  I’ll also scrunch my nose and cheeks to see how well it’s sealed.

But, some people just can’t use a FFM.

Joh
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a hidden gem of a suggestion. (Post by bonjour not mine) Zero leaks aren't necessarily required. You should have large leaks below the machine intentional leak rate; that's a measurable goal.

The lower you get the leak rate, in a consistent controlled fashion with the least sleep disturbance possible, that's your leak control target.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a full beard and I wear the F-20 with no issues. The small leaks I get are usually near my nose and not on my chin. I found the issue was the mask was not properly located low on my chin and the straps need to be tightened properly or it will leak a bit depending on how I lay my head. I agree a small leak is not an issue. I dont think you need to shave your beard. Also I know amazon sells bigger pillows, dont know how effective they are?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 5 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 152 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 517 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.