Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face mask pressure issues
RE: Full face mask pressure issues
[Quote, Netskier Wrote: I am sure that leakage must be controlled to get meaningful measurements. Resmed even provides this number which I forget just now.]
...............................................................................................
24L/min but the S9 report unintentional leak while PR System One report total leak (total leak = intentional leak + unintentional leak)

.................................................................................................

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2012, 05:00 PM)zonk Wrote: [Quote, Netskier Wrote: I am sure that leakage must be controlled to get meaningful measurements. Resmed even provides this number which I forget just now.]
...............................................................................................
24L/min but the S9 report unintentional leak while PR System One report total leak (total leak = intentional leak + unintentional leak)

.................................................................................................

in the newest update to sleepyhead in system one at least, there is a setting to choose intentional leak or total leak, not both. before the update it showed both. it must be the same for resmed in sleepyhead.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2012, 06:57 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:
(03-18-2012, 05:00 PM)zonk Wrote: [Quote, Netskier Wrote: I am sure that leakage must be controlled to get meaningful measurements. Resmed even provides this number which I forget just now.]

in the newest update to sleepyhead in system one at least, there is a setting to choose intentional leak or total leak, not both. before the update it showed both. it must be the same for resmed in sleepyhead.
With the S9 AutoSet/Elite you don,t need the software, The leak on the LCD screen is the unintentional leak.
This one of the reason I favor the S9.

Post Reply Post Reply
JumpStart: Don't know if you've seen this old thread, but it offers very thorough and excellent advice on mask fitting.Great-info One of the most common misconceptions is that tighter is always better...it's not. I use the Quattro FX, similar to the Mirage Quattro but without the forehead support bar and get very low leaks with it and do not wear it tight at all. Air pressure inflates the face cushion and when you get it right, the cushion "floats" on your face while providing excellent seal against leaks. Good luck!
Sleep-on-pillow
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
As you may have noted, B36, in my original post initiating this thread I acknowledged that tighter is not necessarily better, and can cause issues. However, when "floating" does not do the trick, there is little else to do unless you try a different mask, as far as I can see. I suspect the same mask may indeed float on one face and "fart" on another at an identical pressure. I have read Jeffy1958's post, but I thank you for pointing it out. As I said earlier in this thread, last night I tightened things, and pressures were indeed lower. We will see what happens tonight.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2012, 10:00 PM)JumpStart Wrote: As you may have noted, B36, in my original post initiating this thread I acknowledged that tighter is not necessarily better, and can cause issues. However, when "floating" does not do the trick, there is little else to do unless you try a different mask, as far as I can see. I suspect the same mask may indeed float on one face and "fart" on another at an identical pressure. I have read Jeffy1958's post, but I thank you for pointing it out. As I said earlier in this thread, last night I tightened things, and pressures were indeed lower. We will see what happens tonight.

i also never did quite get the looser is better thing either. it's a good theory... i too read that mask fitting post. when it is tight and leaks, it leaks more when loosened. maybe its the cockeyed shape of our heads or the way we sleep, i don't know. i can have fairly low leaks and then roll a certain way and have big leaks, etc, etc.

one thing i do know is that the straps have to be perfectly centered. that is, when the strap on the left is pulled over to a certain point, the strap on the right has to be pulled over exactly the same or the thing will never be properly centered on the head and always leak on my head anyways. view the mask as a right and left half. the right half has to be a mirror image of the left in all aspects of the headgear. at least thats the way it is working for me. someone else and their head and mask may be different.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
With my Activa LT nasal mask looser is better usually able to put two fingers between the straps and cheeks otherwise if tight and mashed on my face it would leak like a sieve.
It,s designed to seal when the cushion inflated with pressured air so it float on face, before clip the lower straps turn the S9 on and let the air fill the cushion and use the forehead dial for any adjustment.
When leak goes up it,s time to replace the cushion.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 52 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 187 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 156 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,586 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.