Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face mask problems with narrow face
Full face mask problems with narrow face
I am newly diagnosed and dealing with finding a full-face mask that will fit my long narrow face. I discovered quickly that I can’t use a nasal mask because I leak through the mouth. I have been trying a Evora Full and tried both of the smaller seals. I have read that the mask should “float” and not fit tight. The S-M seal fits the best but unless I keep my mouth open enough to cause my cheeks to fill out it will leak around the lower sides of the seal. I am considering getting one of those mouthpieces that football players use that has a breathe-through hole, as I assume that keeping my mouth open would work. Is this a bad idea? Another thing that I don’t like about the Evora is that the headgear clips tend to come off during the night unless I tighten uncomfortably.

Are the full-face masks used assuming that some mouth breathing is normal? Of course, I get some dry mouth, is this something that I will just have to live with? I have turned the humidity up as high as I can without depleting the water in my Resmed Autosense 11. Ideally, is there a full-face mask that would be better for a narrow face?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face mask problems with narrow face
Welcome to ApneaBoard, Joey76.  I have used 3 full face masks so far.  The philips amara gel, resmed quattro fx, and the F & P Vitera.  All quite different.  The amara gel was long and narrow (but a terrible mask - I would not recommend it).  Quattro FX was much shorter and narrower.  Vitera was huge (long and wide).  I have a Dreamwear hybrid full face mask also.  Some popular hybrids are the f40, f30, f30i, and evora.  

When doing an online search, sometimes they give the specific dimensions of the mask (length x width, etc.).  Try to look at the shape of the mask in the photo (or if you got your mask from a DME, you can ask them also.  Some masks are longer height wise than others.  Some FFM are either shorter or wider width wise.  

I personally like to see "contours" in FFM's also.  The amara gel was perfectly flat, and sealed horribly.  Quattro fx and Vitera had lots of ridges and valleys and double walls of silicone that made for much better sealing and comfort.  

If anyone else knows of a specific FFM for a long and narrow face, feel free to post.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a similar question and made a thread, although I can't link to it since my account is too new. You could find it by looking at my profile. The Resmed F40 has been working well for me, but it could be a question of trial and error.

You definitely shouldn't have to keep your mouth open. In fact, a lot of people use chin straps to achieve the opposite. My mouth gets very dry when it opens even a little. Maybe the issue isn't so much open or closed, but whether your mouth moves in the night and changes the shape of your face? I try to keep my mouth closed by wedging my chin against the hole in my CPAP pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
The F40. I’ve used different masks before, but got this one this time around. Game changer. The mask itself is very small, but you can also get a small version of it, as well as headgear in a variety of sizes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Besides the physical shape and size, you must consider how well it seals with moderate strap tension.

Tightening uncomfortably would be a red flag that the current configuration will not be a good combo.

The masks I've used are in order, Philips Respironics Amara View Large, terrible fit leaked uncontrollably, ResMed F20 in AirFit silicone and AirTouch memory foam, medium and large, unpredictable from low leaks to massive uncontrollable leaks, ResMed N & P30i, I think I used large, they sealed well but I mouth breathe and wasn't willing to tape or to try learning tongue suck seal control, Fisher and Paykel Simplus and Vitera, alternated between medium and large, if straps are adjusted properly seal well without being tight, best bets of all I used, newer models not tried as I'm not on therapy waiting for new therapy machine above ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have your same problem. Knowing I was a mouth breather at night, over the years I tried many full face mask but never could find one that did not leak due to my long slender face. So then I started using a chinstrap to see if that would help, but it didn't. Then I started using Somnifix mouth strips along with the chinstrap. It brought my leak rate down a little but was still considered high. Then I switched to the Cover Roll stretch tape that has basically reduced my leak rate to 0. I don't think they will ever design a full face mask that will work good on a slender face.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full face mask slipping up over lips basically functional 3 138 05-19-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 10 517 05-14-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  [Equipment] F&P full face mask flap question louwho 8 266 05-09-2024, 07:55 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 17 638 05-06-2024, 01:53 PM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Switched from nose mask to full face and AHI has increased touwmus 24 2,395 04-28-2024, 06:38 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 253 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  CPAP & Ear Problems Steptoe 11 1,703 04-19-2024, 04:05 AM
Last Post: jiyun

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.