Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face mask recommendation s for high pressure
Full face mask recommendation s for high pressure
My pressure currently is 12 (min) -16 (max).  I've been told it might need to be even higher (13-14 min).  I am currently using the Fisher & Paykel Simplus Full Face Mask.  As my pressures increase I need to keep tightening the mask to avoid leaks.  The mask has caused permanent lines in my face.  I was hoping for some recommendations for comfortable full face masks that work well under high pressures and won't leave permanent marks on my face.

I welcome all suggestions but one I am considering is the Philips Respironics Amara View.  Anyone have experience with this mask?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face mask recommendation s for high pressure
I suggest your take a look at the mask primer: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

I'm not familiar with your mask but most full face masks should handle those pressures without excessive tightening.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
With any mask it's all about the fit.  YOU MUST TRY masks UNDER PRESSURE and in a sleeping position.  What works for me or anyone else may or may not work for you. While I (a mouth breather) us the P10 (pillows) as my primary mask, my backup is the Amara View.  I was using that at 25/21 so I know it works FOR ME at those pressures.  Be sure to read the fitting guide for the mask because it is different.  My Avatar is me in the Amara View, so it can also work with a full beard.

In general you try masks from the least intrusive (Pillows) to the most intrusive (FFM).

There are other ways of managing mouth breathing, so I'll ask why a FFM?  

I do suggest that you read or re-read the Mask Primer, lot's of good info there.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I love that you recommend trying a mask under pressure and lying down!! Now if we could get the DME's to understand this. I went to the office to try a new mask and had to ask for a machine to try it out under pressure. I also asked for a place to lie down with it on and nothing but the floor was available!! Umm no thanks!! like
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks are really personal and as Bonjour says it is all about the fit and what works for you. I am always looking for what might be an improvement - but, that said I have personally had better success with first the ResMed Quatro, then the F-10, then the AirFit F-20, and now the AirTouch F-20 (which is the AirFit frame with a cushion that is finished with memory foam). I am a fairly restless sleeper with an ASV at high pressures, and it works well for ME - doesn't mean it will for you. Also sizing can be very strange from one mask model to another, even with the same manufacturer. I always used a large with Respironics products and the Quatro, but with the F-10 and 20s I use a medium. So, this is not a science - you have to sleep with the darn things a couple of nights before you know. And then after you have washed and dried the head gear, let alone replacing, you start all over getting it just the way you want. Good Luck!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I will give you three recommendations. The first is an older mask-the Resmed Mirage Quattro. It was the first FFM that I got to control the leaks. It took some work and some time and patience but once I got the adjustments right, I could just don the mask and push the GO button on my machine without having to adjust the mask every time. My pressure is up around 20 cm/H2O and can go as high as 21.6.

The Philips-Respironics Fitlife mask is a total face mask that covers your eyes as well as your nose and mouth. I was told that there are some people using it at 40 cm/H2O on faces that it fits well. I have no experience with it.

The Resmed Airfit F20 has proven itself to be as good for me as the Mirage Quattro. Took me a while to get everything dialed in but now I think that it leaks about the same as the Mirage Quattro.

When I say that I have low leaks, I will tell you that on occasion my leak statistics for the night are median leak=0, 95% leak=0, and max leak=0.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The Simplus works for me (pressure 9 - 14) but I keep the harness fairly loose so the mask "floats" on my face. As the pressure ramps up, the seal gets better. Maybe I got lucky with the fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you like your current mask, go to Commercial Link Removed, instead search Supplier #31, and look at mask liners and strap cushions.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I use/used the Simplus at pressure range of 15-20. I used the Remzzz liners which helped with leaks. The tighter you make a mask, the more the chance of leaking. Make sure you have the right size. Try going one lower. The Simplus also sits lower on the face than other FFMs which is why I like it.

That said, consider using a nasal mask or nasal pillows. If you breathe through your mouth when you sleep, a chin strap can help.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 120 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 710 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 109 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 121 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,435 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.