Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Full face mask thoughts?
Full face mask thoughts?
I’ve only ever used nasal masks, cushions, and pillows since I started CPAP about 15 yrs ago.

I recently lost a lot of weight and since then I’ve had problems with air leaking from my mouth.  Even when my mouth is closed enough pressure builds up to push out.  It’s pretty common to wake up several times each night with a completely dry mouth from leaking that much air.

My pressures are 7-10.

Is there an option other than a full face mask?

What mask would be good for a first timer that’s going to mail order vs brick and mortar DME supplier?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full face mask thoughts?
Maybe I've run into the same issue recently as I've loat some weight. I started to get air in my mouth.

I use this medical tape to tape my mouth. IMO, nasal masks perform better than FFM. I would recommend trying tape.

Smith and Nephew/BSN Cover-Roll... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9JFBBY?ref...b_ap_share
Post Reply Post Reply
One option is mouth taping.
Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn't have to be a full face mask. For several years I used the Resmed Airfit F30 "half" mask with great results. It covers the mouth and comes up below the nostrils, but not over the nose. A wonderful mask if it works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2021, 10:22 PM)hegel Wrote: It doesn't have to be a full face mask. For several years I used the Resmed Airfit F30 "half" mask with great results. It covers the mouth and comes up below the nostrils, but not over the nose. A wonderful mask if it works for you.

Thanks for that suggestion, I’ll look into it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, I'm taking mine out and using it tonight! Hopefully I can make it work again. thanks for reminding me!
Post Reply Post Reply
BiLevel PAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
It may be because I am running at high pressure (CPAP 20 cm H2O), but I found I could not get on at all with the ResMed F30 under-nose FFM.

It tried to suffocate me a few times when the small nasal holes got out of alignment, and to avoid Air Leaks, I had to have the damned thing so tight that it really hurt the under side of my bugle!

I found the ResMed F20 AirFit was the best for me, the AirFit is the all silicone Cushion, rather than the F20 AirTouch which is the version with Memory Foam, which I find does not seal as well if using higher pressures.

The AirTouch Foam is also very prone to tearing at the nose bridge area, so has to be cleaned very carefully with CPAP Fluid or a CPAP Wipe, to keep it from splitting. You cannot wash it in water, otherwise the Foam can either lose shape or it takes forever to dry as the foam is not closed cell.

Once an F20 AirTouch Cusion splits, it has to be thrown away, so the attrition rate for AirTouch Cusions can be very high, whereas the F20 AirFit all silicone Cushion is built like a Tank by comparison, and can be washed in the sink with liquid soap/Baby Shampoo etc.

Having said that, my wife tends to need the AirTouch Cusions because her skin is more fragile, even though she uses far less pressure and so does not need her Mask be as tight as mine.

So whilst she gets a better seal via the F20 AirFit, her nose skin can dictate that she has to use AirTouch Foam quite often.

But whilst I am still on my very first AirFit Cusion from mid-2020, she has used maybe 7 AirTouch Cusions since just February of this year.

The point I am making is the F20 AirFit FFM is very robust, long lasting and easy to keep clean, but if your skin is sensitive, the F20 AirTouch may be better but comes at a much higher consumables cost because the Cushions may only last as little as 14 days.

HTH

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to look more closely at the F30 AirFit. It pretty much matches the N30 I'm using now, except it covers the mouth, too. I'll make a note of it and when either my N30 needs to be replaced or I get tired of dealing with the air escaping through my mouth, then I might give the F30 a try.

I looked at the foam-type cushions, they look like you replace them on a regular basis vs cleaning. I'm paying out of pocket for all my CPAP supplies, and buying a steady supply of those cushions doesn't look like it's going to be a good match for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2021, 04:12 AM)RandallRLeach Wrote: BiLevel PAP therapy.

What's the difference between BiLevel PAP and an Exhaust Pressure Relief?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 186 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 162 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 942 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 136 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 324 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 661 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 17,051 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.